• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Keep in mind that it IS a crime to carry without a valid LTCH on your person. With that as a given, I have a hard time faulting the LEO for politely asking to see it.

It's also a crime to beat your kids, yet they don't pull kids aside in gas stations to check for bruises.

It's also a crime to drive without insurance, yet they don't set up checkpoints for verification purposes.

It's also a crime to smoke pot, yet they don't give drug tests to people who have the obvious scent.

But yeah...inalienable right, better check that guy out.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Papers, comrade! Give them quick or I'll shoot.
    ...(add) with my solar charged, environmentally friendly stun gun.

I've gotta admit that I get a little pissed when I get stopped at a "license check" for no reason other than I was driving down the road. Can't argue that point at all...I just see it as a lesser of evils given the permit requirement laws and sheeple we have out there driving gun paranoia. :dunno:

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    If you choose to adopt that line of thinking, how do police officers know someone driving a car has a valid driver's license? Should they stop everyone they see driving (not violating any regulations) to check to make sure their papers are in order?

The simple answer: When driving your car I can run your license plate by radio or computer and obtain your driving status.

In the event of a person to person contact we do not have the ability to verify information with out asking for a piece of ID or a permit. To complicate the situation there is no database to check if a person has a handgun permit in this state or any other state (except TN) with out asking to see it. Police do not have Jedi powers or black helicopters flying around to read people minds or the micro chips that have been inserted under your skin and in your driver's license. So we have to ask for ID.:starwars:

Assuming he has a valid permit because he has a handgun is no different than assuming you have a fishing license because you are fishing, and yes both are A misdemeanors. DNR is the only one with a database to verify a person has a fishing or hunting license, so I must confront the person involved in the activity to see their license. The DNR database is not available to LE with out making a call during business hours.

Daily I run into people who have not figured out that their driver's expires every four years on their birthday. Equally I have run into to people with handgun permits, myself included, that forgot the expiration date of their handgun permit and it has expired. Both are a crime, but I choose to give a friendly reminder. The same holds true for address changes on both documents.

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    A friend of mine was driving back for Tennessee yesterday and got a ticket in Carmel. When he pulled out his license the LEO saw his permit and asked if he had a gun. He said that he did and offered to show the LEO. At which point he was told to exit the car and the officer would get it for him. He was made to wait by the car while the officer called in his gun. $200.00 ticket and a welcome home. This guy is former Navy and was the best supervisor I ever worked for. Real polite, nice guy. Had his girl friend with him, 66 years old, retired about 10 years ago. Not exactly Dillinger. The gun was legit. I am not sure about the calling the gun in thing. It was in the glove box. Is that necessary?

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    A friend of mine was driving back for Tennessee yesterday and got a ticket in Carmel. When he pulled out his license the LEO saw his permit and asked if he had a gun. He said that he did and offered to show the LEO. At which point he was told to exit the car and the officer would get it for him. He was made to wait by the car while the officer called in his gun. $200.00 ticket and a welcome home. This guy is former Navy and was the best supervisor I ever worked for. Real polite, nice guy. Had his girl friend with him, 66 years old, retired about 10 years ago. Not exactly Dillinger. The gun was legit. I am not sure about the calling the gun in thing. It was in the glove box. Is that necessary?

Sounds like this should be a whole other thread. No chance in hell I'd let the officer "get it for me" out of my car.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...This is written IMO to cover thier butts for the 2A yahoos out there. I am a firm believer in the 2A but I dont push it to the extreme.

With this being said they can say whatever they want as to why they thought you were dangerous. If the Judge finds in thier favor he did his job. If the Judge finds it to be invalid you get your gun back no harm no fowl he was just DOING his job.

Yes, precisely, "they can say whatever they want as to why they thought you were dangerous"... true or not. Most would be truthful, but many would exaggerate and a few would outright lie. Do you want to trust your freedoms and rights to see which happens to be the one who takes your property pending review by a judge (who might be a Zobamabie)? Because I don't.

As to your stated 2A position, please consider the following quote:

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

Barry Goldwater, 1963

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The simple answer: When driving your car I can run your license plate by radio or computer and obtain your driving status.

True. So long as *I* am driving *my* car. If my daughter is driving my car or if I'm driving a rental or a work vehicle... or if my car is stolen and not yet reported... You're S.O.L. for finding out anything, as you discuss in the next couple of sentences.

In the event of a person to person contact we do not have the ability to verify information with out asking for a piece of ID or a permit. To complicate the situation there is no database to check if a person has a handgun permit in this state or any other state (except TN) with out asking to see it. Police do not have Jedi powers or black helicopters flying around to read people minds or the micro chips that have been inserted under your skin and in your driver's license. So we have to ask for ID.:starwars:

Assuming he has a valid permit because he has a handgun is no different than assuming you have a fishing license because you are fishing, and yes both are A misdemeanors. DNR is the only one with a database to verify a person has a fishing or hunting license, so I must confront the person involved in the activity to see their license. The DNR database is not available to LE with out making a call during business hours.

Daily I run into people who have not figured out that their driver's expires every four years on their birthday. Equally I have run into to people with handgun permits, myself included, that forgot the expiration date of their handgun permit and it has expired. Both are a crime, but I choose to give a friendly reminder. The same holds true for address changes on both documents.

Thank you for leaving it as a friendly reminder! Rep to be added, if the system will let me.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

This would be why my LTCH is not in the same part of my wallet as my driver license. No reason to suspect anything, so no question to have to try to answer without giving info away... and apparently, even though he told the officer the gun was there, he still got cited. (as he should have been, if in fact he did what the ticket alleges he did, but so many of these stories say, in essence, "I told 'em an' I just got a warning!"

Because there are so many officers and each has his/her own take on what should and should not be, it will not always be a warning that is issued when a ticket is due.... Thanks for posting evidence of the other side of the story.

Blessings,
    Bill

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

I moved and changed addresses just over one year after receiving my Lifetime LTCH. I called the state police firearms division in Indianapolis and they told me the wrong address on my LTCH was NO problem, as long as my drivers license was up to date. Told me a duplicate license, with updated info. would be $20.00 and another 8-16 weeks. This was a little over two years ago, but I am SURE they told me "no problem".
    Has the law changed over the past couple of years, or have I gotten bad info.?:dunno:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    This was a little over two years ago, but I am SURE they told me "no problem".
    Has the law changed over the past couple of years, or have I gotten bad info.?:dunno:

This is correct-- your updated license does not need to be shown on the permit. I believe Mk was referring to those people who don't even have the correct address on file with the State, regardless what the actual license says.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    This is correct-- your updated license does not need to be shown on the permit. I believe Mk was referring to those people who don't even have the correct address on file with the State, regardless what the actual license says.
    Thank you!
    Started sweatin' there for a moment!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I moved and changed addresses just over one year after receiving my Lifetime LTCH. I called the state police firearms division in Indianapolis and they told me the wrong address on my LTCH was NO problem, as long as my drivers license was up to date. Told me a duplicate license, with updated info. would be $20.00 and another 8-16 weeks. This was a little over two years ago, but I am SURE they told me "no problem".

The information does not have to be correct on the pink permit, but it does have to be correct in the state database. Perhaps the poster you are responding to doesn't know that, or perhaps he calls in to verify and gets a different address than the driver's license shows.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have moved temporarily and called ISP to be sure of what to do. They directed me to their website, where I was told to complete the form, print it and fax it over. I kept a copy in the safe and one in the bottom of the glove box (just in case of a question).

The update is a freebie, but you will need to pay another $20 if you want a replacement pink card with the proper address. I actually plan to do that once I get a permanent address for the sole reason that I think it would probably be better in a reciprocity state if I got checked and the address on my pink card matched the one on my license.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have moved temporarily and called ISP to be sure of what to do. They directed me to their website, where I was told to complete the form, print it and fax it over. I kept a copy in the safe and one in the bottom of the glove box (just in case of a question).

The update is a freebie, but you will need to pay another $20 if you want a replacement pink card with the proper address. I actually plan to do that once I get a permanent address for the sole reason that I think it would probably be better in a reciprocity state if I got checked and the address on my pink card matched the one on my license.
    Great point!:yesway:
    I never considered that. Probably be WELL worth the $20.00 in that light!

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I think this is one of the first or few friendly stories I have read. Usually they are not good stories.

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    To those that think thier rights are being violated. Those in LE are here to protect and serve. The same as you have the right to carry a hand gun to protect you and your loved ones John or Jane Q Public have the right to be safe and LEO's are doing just that. They have no clue who you are and if you are a law biding upstanding citizen. Nor do they know if you are a dirt bag. If the later and you are found to be just that carring illegally he did his job and did it well . One less illegal gun on the street one less dead person one less over sensationalized news story for the libtards to further thier argument for stricter gun control. If asked if you have a LTCH answer, dont be offened or assume that your rights are being violated. Be proud that you have this right and that you are a minority. As we all know minorities are picked out and scrutinised. We need to educate AMERICA.

deadsquirrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Carmel
    My friend was at a BP gas station today in Anderson along with 3 Madison County Officers. He was CCing and when he grabbed his walled his shirt pulled up a little bit. After leaving the building one of the officers walked out behind him and asked him if he was carrying. He said yes, and the officer asked for his permit. He is visiting from Alabama to help his dad out with some stuff so had his AL permit. The LEO looked up his permit then they had a nice conversation. I am posting this because most of the run ins with LEO posted on here are about how rude they are, or condescending about citizens carrying. This was a pleasant encounter with a sherrif just doing his job. End result was very professional and friendly. Just wanted to post a positive LEO encounter to show that not all of them are arrogant a$.

it would have been a different story in fishers for sure :rolleyes:

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    To those that think thier rights are being violated. Those in LE are here to protect and serve. The same as you have the right to carry a hand gun to protect you and your loved ones John or Jane Q Public have the right to be safe and LEO's are doing just that. They have no clue who you are and if you are a law biding upstanding citizen. Nor do they know if you are a dirt bag. If the later and you are found to be just that carring illegally he did his job and did it well . One less illegal gun on the street one less dead person one less over sensationalized news story for the libtards to further thier argument for stricter gun control. If asked if you have a LTCH answer, dont be offened or assume that your rights are being violated. Be proud that you have this right and that you are a minority. As we all know minorities are picked out and scrutinised. We need to educate AMERICA.

First of all, just because someone is carrying illegally doesn't mean "one more dead body" or an "over sensationalized news story." it certainly doesn't mean the gun itself is illegal.

But considering the VAST majority - overwhelming majority - are good, upstanding citizens, yes, it should not be assumed otherwise - by anyone, especially LE.

I always get a kick out of watching "cops". You know at the beginning when they say "all suspects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law" and then you see someone get their ass handed to them by the police? I'm not saying they don't deserve it, but you've already DECIDED they're guilty from the comfort of your own home just by watching the show unfold.

The reality is that when you are arrested/stopped by LEO, you are already assumed to be guilty of something, and then you will have to prove your innocence, whether it be on the spot or in court. If a prosecutor charges you with something, the burden is on you just as much to prove your innocence as it is for the prosecution to prove your guilt. If you've ever been to court for anything you know this is the case.

If you look at this scenario from that point of view (backwards I guess) you might see it differently. The guy did absolutely nothing but go about his day. His gun showed a little and the LEO thought it was a good time/place to check him out and see if he's legit. He did nothing to make anyone think he WASN'T legit.

Look at the OP from that point of view. In this case, it was up to the citizen to prove he was an upstanding citizen.

Top Bottom