• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I go to Florida several times a year, and I always CC. I usually travel on Southwest or Air Tran. While Air Tran has given me some crap a few times, (seems their policy is not well known by every employee) Southwest has been most accommodating. I pack my sidearm in a Pelican case with my own Master locks, keep the keys on a lanyard around my neck, and I am g2g.

They do make you tag the case at check-in with a bright orange tag that says it has been inspected and is unloaded, then they take your suitcase to a scanner and TSA x-rays it. They usually hold you for a few minutes, then tell you that you are free to board.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    But not at the "happiest place on earth". Its the safest place as well. ;)
    Disney%20Castle.jpg

<sarcasm noted>

If I have to throw down at the Magic Kingdom, things are FAR from happy at the happiest place on earth. Having said that, the actual parks aren't my worry so much as ALL THE OTHER PROPERTIES. There are a few hotels on-site with paths that are severely poorly lit. Also, some of the buildings for the hotels are a good distance away from the main areas of the resort. It wouldn't be too difficult for a BG to spend his time hanging around the resort and follow someone back to a distant room to relieve them of some of their vacation money.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    <sarcasm noted>

If I have to throw down at the Magic Kingdom, things are FAR from happy at the happiest place on earth. Having said that, the actual parks aren't my worry so much as ALL THE OTHER PROPERTIES. There are a few hotels on-site with paths that are severely poorly lit. Also, some of the buildings for the hotels are a good distance away from the main areas of the resort. It wouldn't be too difficult for a BG to spend his time hanging around the resort and follow someone back to a distant room to relieve them of some of their vacation money.

True but while I put my post in purple since bad things can happen ANYWHERE ANYTIME I do think that "the happiest place on earth" is also "safer" than most. Unlike any other place Disney has a rep to protect and it would be very. very damaging if anything were to ever happen there (ie gunfight) to one of their guest. The bad press would drive away customers. Yes bad things have occured (ie the monorail accident, employee muggings, etc...) but very little if any at the parks or resorts. Again it's something Dinsey (the company) wants to ensure does not happen due to their image and thus why the are armed agents (in disguise) and any type of situation that begins to occur is quickly ended.

Off topic but Toyota should have taken some lessons from Disney because the mess they are in now is going to cost them future customers since the level of trust is gone and people will wonder is this car "really" safe?

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Yes. And I avoid gun unfriendly states whenever possible.

Concealed means concealed.

Me too. Hate travelling east or west since Ohio and IL are not friendly states. In car travel, I will also have a long gun either AR or 870 typically.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    We only vacation in places that are gun friendly. The wife and I took a little 4 day getaway in December to Tennessee. We carried everywhere we went. In fact, I brought my Mossberg 500 for the drive down as well just to have some more firepower in case SHTF.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I've been thinking about getting a used charter arms, rossi, taurus revolver specifically for the airline travel in case it does get stolen so I won't be out the same as one of my higher end guns. I was able to get a 4" barrel .357 rossi a while back for 200 bucks used.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    USA
    I travel and carry e'where (that's legal - Except Canada)

Although I fall under the HR218, I still maintain CCW/CHL permits for many of the states I travel to and teach at.

As you may already have done, check the TSA website, as well as the website for the airline...

You will be asked, in most cases, to unlock, open and let them examine your unloaded firearm. Though I have never had any of them touch the firearm, in my presence. I carry Rifles, Shotguns, and numerous Handguns when I fly around to teach classes.

Your ammo, (I didn't recall reading that in your post), needs to be in a fiber, foam or plastic casing, separated between the rounds. The ammo, in most cases needs to be separated from the firearm. In other words, not locked into the same container with the encased firearm. They can still be shipped in the same, but larger secured bag.

I usually have my own lock on the encased gun, and the not-so-secure TSA locks on the outer bags.

One note: I flew to Miami and landed late one evening, around 11:30 pm. I had an M4 Rifle in a standard Rifle gun case (locked), as well as my Glock in another case/bag. I was delayed in getting to baggage claim, and watched for my bags to off-load onto the round-about...

All of my other bags made it, but the round-about stopped, and my rifle case was no where to be seen... A mild, but ever increasing, pucker factor kicked in. As I looked around further, I located the rifle case near an secure entry/ exit door, for employees only... Relieved, I grabbed up the case, wiped the sweat from my brow, and went on about my business... Whewwwww!...

Just read the travel guidelines and you'll be ok...

Make sure you have your Concealed Carry Cred's with you wherever you travel, and know the carry laws for Florida...

Should you have another question about Florida, in general, email me on the side...

Stay Safe, Train Safe,

Dan - TripleTapWarrior:cool:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    About the orange sticker....

It is against the law for them to put it on the outside of the box unless that box was going in another suitcase. They aren't supposed to mark that a case contains a firearm.

Here's the law on this.....

No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

ETA... This statute can be found in 18 USC Sec. 922(e)

If I was traveling by air with guns, I would print off a copy of the code and take it with me. If they wanted to put a sticker on the OUTSIDE of my luggage, I would strongly refuse! Ask to speak to a supervisor if necessary. That orange sticker says "STEAL ME!"

Last edited:

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    To the guy who got the rossi, 200 is a good price I talked a guy down from 175 to 50 dollars for a 2 inch 357. That was a sweet deal

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I moved to Florida from Indy, I have been here 8 months and can tell you you better carry here, there are places here that make the worst places in Indy seem very nice. I would carry a weapon and a extra mag as well as a light and a bottle of pepper spray. One thing you must check out is there are several parks, downtown's, and beaches that are IC coded NO FIREARMS, you better have a double look, ask, and read-up first.

This is a fun place to live, I live in a very nice area but man are there some rough people down here!

Let me know what area's you plan on going and I can make some great recommendations, I have been coming down here for 8-9 years.

Top Bottom