• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Alright so I'm having a debate with myself, and my girlfriend for that matter, on weather I should CC on our vacation to Tampa, FL this March. I know that the Indiana Handgun Permit is valid in Florida, and I've looked up the plane regulations for southwest, (free checked bag FTW) all I really have to do is lock it unloaded in a box withing my suitcase, and show them where I check my bags. thats not a big deal. I've been told that it keeps everyone from opening up your bag, and they take extra special care of it because I doubt they want to explain why they lost it.
    So does anyone else Carry when on Vacation?? :dunno:

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Alright so I'm having a debate with myself, and my girlfriend for that matter, on weather I should CC on our vacation to Tampa, FL this March. I know that the Indiana Handgun Permit is valid in Florida, and I've looked up the plane regulations for southwest, (free checked bag FTW) all I really have to do is lock it unloaded in a box withing my suitcase, and show them where I check my bags. thats not a big deal. I've been told that it keeps everyone from opening up your bag, and they take extra special care of it because I doubt they want to explain why they lost it.
    So does anyone else Carry when on Vacation?? :dunno:

In all 48 lower states, wouldn't leave home without two.

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Definitely!

Funny story along these lines; I was flying United a few years ago with my 92fs. I have it in a locked case inside my bag and tell the people at bag check as required. They make me fill out some info on a large bright orange sticker that states in bold black letters; FIREARMS INSIDE. Then they have me open my bag, place the sticker on the lock box and then reclose and lock my bag:dunno:. I guess they could tell by my dumbfounded look that I was more than a little confused. They said that FAA regulations require the sticker be on the case but company regs required the case to be inside another bag so the big orange sticker wasn't misinterpreted as STEAL ME!!! Made sense, but at the same time it didn't make sense!:n00b:

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'm going to Panama City Beach for spring break. I will not be carrying. I will probably take it for the ride down/up but leave it in the hotel room when I go out though if there is a safe in the room.

In environments other than college spring break, I would most likely carry.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    norm, sure, I just returned from Tejas where I carried all over the DFW metromess and then down to Grandview for class.

If you travel, I recommend the Utah and Florida non-resident licenses.

Ensure that you familiarize yourself with the "no go" zones in Florida. Remember in Florida you have to cover up.

I fly with my pistols in a Pelican carry case. It has locking points (I had both padlocks rekeyed to the same key) and is tough as nails.

pelican-case-yellow-big.jpg

Once you hit the ticket counter, especially at Wier Cook, insist that TSA inspect your pistol in front of you. I was told that TSA was "on break" and could not look at my pistols at the American counter.

Don't fall for this. Ensure your pistol is unloaded, check it a dozen times or more.:D

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i carry everywhere. what they dont know dont hurt them unless they try to hurn me first. but thats me

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Definitely!

They make me fill out some info on a large bright orange sticker that states in bold black letters; FIREARMS INSIDE. They said that FAA regulations require the sticker be on the case but company regs required the case to be inside another bag so the big orange sticker wasn't misinterpreted as STEAL ME!!! Made sense, but at the same time it didn't make sense!:n00b:

TSA: Traveling with Special Items

This policy says, "We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. "

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=2940ff80be1e46634f6deadcc8f79dbe&rgn=div5&view=text&node=49:9.1.3.5.10&idno=49#49:9.1.3.5.10.3.10.2

However the actual law is contradictory and reads, "The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination."

I could also swear that there was something that said the container was not to be marked, but now I can't find it...

Also NEVER use a TSA approved lock... it's like having no lock at all.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I haven't had a vacation since I started carrying, but I plan on carrying on vacation whenever I get one (within all applicable laws, of course).

If you plan on spending all day at the beach in a swimsuit, be sure you (aka, your girlfriend) have a beach bag to keep it concealed or be prepared to lock it up somewhere safe. Main point: plan ahead. Know where you'll be spending your time and if you will be able to carry there; if not, then plan ahead on where you can store it.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I never leave without it. I was in Tampa/St Pete 2 years ago with some LEO buddies and we all had ours. You never know, and I would rather be safe than sorry.

Top Bottom