• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I personally have experienced 2 events locally where if you didn't have cash you had NO money for several days, tornado & flood. No power, natural gas was shut off so those who had auto NG standby generators were worthless.

Keeping a fair amount of cash in the safe is prudent. $500 wallet stash in addition to spending money is also prudent. When we travel long distances we take a fair amount of cash as well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I personally have experienced 2 events locally where if you didn't have cash you had NO money for several days, tornado & flood. No power, natural gas was shut off so those who had auto NG standby generators were worthless.

Keeping a fair amount of cash in the safe is prudent. $500 wallet stash in addition to spending money is also prudent. When we travel long distances we take a fair amount of cash as well.

For years I've kept five hundred dollar bills folded and stuck away. The spending money needs denomination to be able break a hundred and be correct change for any purchase.

That wallet money initially started when I tended bar. Deals happen, you gotta be ready before the next guy.

Since then, I've actually used the right change to buy for sale stuff in front yards more than in the bar.

Another convenience to keep working cash in pocket is trading in our INGO classifieds. Whether it be saving a stop at the bank on the way or unexpectedly making change at the meet, good to be prepared.

:spend:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Depending on the circumstance, I'm OK with spending $100 on $15 of gas. If things are bad enough, the C note will soon be worthless, and if the gas station is sucker enough to accept fiat money, that's on them. Such a circumstance is unlikely, but possible.
    I have the same philosophy. Carry $50’s instead of $100’s but not worried about coming up a bit short in an emergency.

Remember most farms have (used to have) gas tanks so might be an option if you have cash.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I love cash. Cash is king. In fact, it never ceases to amaze me how surprised some "cashiers" are... when you actually pay... with cash. I tend to try to keep some on hand. You know, as stated, just for emergencies.

I call it "mad money" because my wife would be mad if she found out I had it.

Don't have any at the moment though. Ran into an "emergency" the just yesterday at 4 Guns in Lafayette when I decided it was time for another can... Wanted to try out this new faster E-file thing... lol.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Everything I buy in person is with cash. Don't trust banks with my money, to an extent. Gotta have money in there for bills, auto-pay, etc. Even with banks offering 4-5% intrest it's not worth the extra 1k per year I might make on 20k. I just flat out don't trust the banks, government, IRS, etc. Don't have alot of faith in the system

yanmarguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2024
    Bloomington
    I think that amount sounds reasonable.

One other thing to consider. I'd make 1/2 to 2/3 of it in small bills. Because if you need to buy some small items, your seller may not have change. Are you willing to pay $20 for the extra flashlight batteries your neighbor told you he'd only charge you $5 for? (just for illustrative purposes. Dont start with the "aktually..." comments)

Ten hundreds packs really small. But isnt very practical.
    I agree on the small bills. Been in that situation myself where I didn't have change so I had to take less for an item. Nothing worse than losing three or four bucks just from not having some singles on hand. It would work the same way around with purchasing.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't usually carry around big wads of "stripper money." I've been known to accumulate ones and fives though.

I keep a wad of these small bills right inside the back door. I actually leave them on display in case a wad of small bills will satisfy an "honest" young thief? Same for "testing" the grandkids. Count the money before they come and again after.

I accumulate ones and fives in the vehicle consoles also. Fast food money. Or in the event of needing to create a distraction, letting 20-30 dollar bills fly into the wind... :tinfoil:

Top Bottom