• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    So I began this back when I owned a Shield and I never had an issue with it or gave it a second thought. I just picked up a nice S&W 6906 that I am going to carry and although overall I love the gun, I feel like the enormous first double action trigger pull is safety enough to just ignore the manual one. Anybody agree with me and do the same? I'm obviously not advocating carrying a cocked and locked 1911 this way. Any thoughts/insight?

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    I carry a Sig Mk25 P226. It has no safety, and I always carry it with the hammer cocked back for single action, and ready to rock and roll. Carry how you best feel comfortable, and do dry runs over...and over....and over till you get sick of doing it, then do it again. I look at it this way; when seconds count, give yourself every advantage possible.

rsklar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    I carry a full-time double action for CC because of the added safety knowing a simple "catch" will not discharge the firearm. There is no manual safety and I consider the double action sufficient for CC.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I personally see no reason to carry a first pull double action locked. YMMV

vstrom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Elkhart
    I carry a Sig Mk25 P226. It has no safety, and I always carry it with the hammer cocked back for single action, and ready to rock and roll. Carry how you best feel comfortable, and do dry runs over...and over....and over till you get sick of doing it, then do it again. I look at it this way; when seconds count, give yourself every advantage possible.

Too scary for me!

eagle5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    So I began this back when I owned a Shield and I never had an issue with it or gave it a second thought. I just picked up a nice S&W 6906 that I am going to carry and although overall I love the gun, I feel like the enormous first double action trigger pull is safety enough to just ignore the manual one. Anybody agree with me and do the same? I'm obviously not advocating carrying a cocked and locked 1911 this way. Any thoughts/insight?

However you choose to carry it, understand it is possible for the safety to inadvertently or unexpectedly be engaged. Incorporate this into your training.

For example: without realizing it, you holster your weapon with the safety engaged. You draw your weapon to fire, and nothing happens. Most people would immediately tap-rack-bang, but obviously that won't help in this situation. Perhaps you should incorporate this "failure mode" into your training.

Another example: You fire some rounds, and believe it is now appropriate to reholster your weapon. Do you utilize the decocker before reholstering? Do you place the safety lever back to "off" before reholstering?

Again, choose to carry whichever way best fits your needs. But train that way.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I carry a Sig Mk25 P226. It has no safety, and I always carry it with the hammer cocked back for single action, and ready to rock and roll.

You carry with the hammer cocked all the time?

OP, the 6906 operates like a double action revolver for the first shot and then single action after that. You'd be fine to carry it loaded in DA/SA without the safety engaged. :twocents:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

All's I can say to this is WOW.
    My 226 has a very light SA trigger pull and I would never carry it this way.
    I load, use the de-cocker, one in the pipe with hammer down.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    The 3rd gen S&W autos are just like a SIg if you carry them with the safety off..
    there is a long/ heavier trigger pull for first shot, the firing pin has a plunger block.
    in fact the DAO version of the gun is same gun inside..
    When I carry my 5906 I do not have the safety on..
    having the safety is nice for when you have to chamber or unchamber..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    The S&W firing pin block is only engaged with the safety I believe but it should be fine DA/SO.

IMO a 1911 with a grip safety is no less safe with the thumb safety off than a Glock.

3rd gen S&W have 2 firing pin blocks.. a rotating one that is engaged by the safety, and a plunger one that is cleared by the trigger being pulled to the rear..

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    I always carry ready to go. One in the pipe and trigger coverd by the holster. That's what I love about my G27...the safety integrated into the trigger.
    But do only what you are comfortable with. Practice, practice, and more practice!

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    On my 1911s I engage the safety(cocked & locked) but with a double action pistol I dont just because of the long trigger pull involved like a D/A revolver

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The S&W firing pin block is only engaged with the safety I believe but it should be fine DA/SO.

IMO a 1911 with a grip safety is no less safe with the thumb safety off than a Glock.

I know of a deputy sheriff who shot himself with a 1911 because the thumb safety was off and the strap on his tactical vest deactivated the grip safety and he somehow got the trigger pulled. I was not there and don't know the true circumstances. (I tend to be skeptical of incidents like this)

This may or may not conflict with your statement. I would say the trigger finger and the brain are the only safeties that matter.

My 1911's have their grip safeties pinned, and I always use the thumb safety but I don't trust it.

Top Bottom