• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Don't just guess, guys. Cite the law or case law that you get this from.

Ohio law does not require a license for open carry. be careful, though, because even slightly concealed (OWB holster with a t-shirt covering part of it) can be charged with CCW.
    Lawriter - ORC - 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.
    (5) “Unloaded” means any of the following:
    (a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question.
    Just open carry. Be sure to look up where you are and are not allowed to carry, Ohio is a lot more restrictive than Indiana as to where you can carry.

Also having it in the car is considered "concealed" and you have to have a license/permit that they honor.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Don't just guess, guys. Cite the law or case law that you get this from.

Ohio law does not require a license for open carry. be careful, though, because even slightly concealed (OWB holster with a t-shirt covering part of it) can be charged with CCW.

Can anyone show documentation of no permit/license requirement for open carry? I may be going to Columbus this weekend and need to know.

I've already emaile the State Police there and have not received a response, but their AG's page shows no reciprocity with IN, so that would be my only method of carry.

It'll be difficult though, since it's cold, and coats cover all but the most conspicuous holsters (drop-leg).

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I called the State Patrol, and they were of nearly no help.

I checked the Web, and the AG's office appears to have lots of data, so I called the, and they did confirm the legality of Open Carry, but I haven't gotten any information about "Open Carrying in a Vehicle." It doesn't make any sense if I'm leaving a hotel to go to a restaurant, and every time I have to completely unload the gun and magazine, store separately out of reach, and then reload everything when I get to my destination.

They would only cite "transporting" a firearm, not "OC'ing" one.

I'm going to call back and see if I can get clarification.

Thoughts?

(BTW, thanks for the links :) )

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    They would only cite "transporting" a firearm, not "OC'ing" one.
    That's because carrying in a car is either "transporting" or carrying under the authority of the CCW permit. THere is no "permission to OC" regulation, only a lack of regulations against it.
    Therefore, when you have a gun in your car, you must either follow the regulations for CCWing, i.e., having a permit, or the regulations for "transporting" which require it to be unloaded, separated, etc.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Don't think so, so thanks :), but I did find the buckeye firearms page already.

I found a thread with a newbie member was asking a similar question, and one of the veteran members stated with no ambiguity that having a gun in a vehicle is considered "transporting...."

Suck-Monkeys!

I guess I won't go to ohio zoo for wedding anniversary :(...

Looking at Fort Wayne now :). *shudder*

Thanks anyways, fellas.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I personally recommend the UT permit over the FL. It's more of a hassle because you must take a class from a UT certified instructor, but the license costs $65.25 for the 1st 5 yrs & $10 for each 5 yrs thereafter. FL is $117 every 7 yrs for nonresidents, but they accept a great deal more classes for their training requirement. In the interest of full disclosure, I was the 1st UT certified instructor in IN, and can teach classes accepted by both FL & UT.

Top Bottom