• ...and so much more!
  • R3ydium

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Hey All,

I think we all are aware of the private property laws. Basically if an employer says "no weapons on property" thats their right. Does anyone else's employer have this rule?

I will never push my luck and carry into the building, but I am wondering about locking the weapon in a lock box in my car. I am also wondering about parking off employer property.

Anyways, I guess I am wondering what is the worst that would happen if a weapon was found in my car somehow? Is termination the most they could enforce? Obviously if a situation arised where the weapon was used in a violent way or a way that intimidated others, that would be a different story.

I am more of the mindset of not pushing the envelope mostly because I want to avoid legal trouble, but I am wondering with the limits are in case I ever needed to keep the gun in the car.

smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    My employer has the no gun rule. And even if wanted to CC we couldnt. Because we have to go through a metal detector. But I do know some guys that carry and leave their weapon in their car. Once we get off they go to their car put their weapon on them and head home. I aint sure what would happen if they were caught with it on the property.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    The most that can be done if you are caught carrying inside the workplace is termination (and that depends on your employer). Most properties that I’m aware of say “no weapons INSIDE the workplace” although it would be a “policy-breaker” not a “law-breaker” if you were to carry onto the grounds. Although, the company has no authority to search your vehicle, it does have every right to look in through your window. I know you’re smart enough not to keep it in plain view so in my opinion keeping it in the car (HIDDEN) would be the best idea. The only time the law would be involved is if you were told to leave the property (not just the building) and you deny, you will be charged with trespassing. Now for instance, if you work in a federal building or school you may completely disregard everything above, you are now breaking the law.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Pretty much all of my past employers have the no weapons policy. I respect their wishes as far as not carrying inside the workplace, but I always did leave mine securely stored in my truck. I do not leave home without my handgun, and I want it on me when going to and from work. If by some way they ever did find out and fired me for it then that was a risk I was willing to take, and a consequence I was willing to accept.

bulldog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    Crawfordsville,In
    So when do you stop being a citizen and start being an employee?Or can we actually be both simultaneously? DOES CORPORATE LAW SUPERCEDE CONSTITUTIONAL LAW?
    Is an employer's property private if it is publicly traded?If so what if you're a shareholder? Pardon me but I was just wondering.

crudolph00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    FREETOWN
    I also am not able to CC at work. To agree with some other posts, I believe the most that could be done to you is termination...if your employer wanted to take it that far. However, I believe the State of Indiana has passed a law that states an employer cannot dictate whether you have a weapon in your car on employer property. Keep in mind that Indiana is an employ at will state, and you can be terminated for virtually no reason; even if they did somehow find you had a gun in your personal vehicle. You would not, however, be in "legal trouble."

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The corp policy here is pretty over the top. No firearms in the office or in the parking lot, by employees, contractors, visitors, OR THEIR FAMILIES. Not sure how they can enforce that, but that's the rule.

It actually says " no weapons of any kind, or anything that can be used as as weapon". Guess I'll leave my <austinpowers>Judo Chop</ap> at home, too.

Been trying to find out where the "parking lot" ends (we are in an office park - lots of interconnected lots), so I can just park off-site and walk over.

RD3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I'm in ky but I have the same issue. I just bought a lock box to leave in the car out of sight while at work.

R3ydium

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    The corp policy here is pretty over the top. No firearms in the office or in the parking lot, by employees, contractors, visitors, OR THEIR FAMILIES. Not sure how they can enforce that, but that's the rule.

It actually says " no weapons of any kind, or anything that can be used as as weapon". Guess I'll leave my <austinpowers>Judo Chop</ap> at home, too.

Been trying to find out where the "parking lot" ends (we are in an office park - lots of interconnected lots), so I can just park off-site and walk over.

By Indiana law they have the right to enforce anyone stepping foot on property follow their rules. But as stated, and now that I've researched it, property law seems to come down to three distinctions. Whether your an invitee, licensee, or trespasser. Basically, an employee is an invitee, which means you cannot be charged criminally as a trespasser, even if you break "their rules".

As for parking off property:
    (as I understand)
    Parking off company property is good, BUT, if the other company's lot (in which your parking) has the same restriction, not only are you breaking their rule, but you also could be charged with trespassing as you are not a licensee, or invitee.

If you could find a "public" lot close to your building, then I think your golden.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    I am a Kentucky state employee, and probably half the people in my office CC. I know one guy who carries a 9 in a ankle holster, a 380 in his back pocket and his 1911 in a shoulder holster. Oh and we are not law enforcement, just employees carrying to work.

INGunGuy

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    The corp policy here is pretty over the top.....It actually says " no weapons of any kind, or anything that can be used as as weapon". Guess I'll leave my <austinpowers>Judo Chop</ap> at home, too.....

I'm not sure what kind of work you do but I'm going to guess a couple things.

1) half the Execs carry a swiss army knife on their key chain or in their pocket.
    2) half the working class folks carry leatherman type tools.
    3) over half the female office workers have metal nail files.
    4) there are a large number of sharp #2 pencils in the office.

Shall I continue? ;)

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    CC at work

:ar15:You gotta remeber Indiana is a employment at will state, wich means the can fire you for wearing a green shirt as one lawyer told me. Many compamies will fire you even if it's lock in your car. Which is my private property and none of their business, but theres that pesky emploment at will again. NRA update told me that State senator Johnny Nugent, (Not Uncle Ted rock and roller) plans to reintroduce the parking lot bill this year. But like last year it will pass in the senate And speaker Pat Bauer will bury it in committe or not call it for a vote. We need to stage an all out invasion of South Bend, and get him unelected!!!!

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I use to work at a place (in Ohio) that company policy was no firearms on company property, but customer cc was still allowed. We had vehicle searches done one day by corporate and of course I refused telling the old hunchback lady to get a police search warrant then she could search my car. Well one of my co-workers wasn't so bright and had a pistol in his glove box. They fired him. Well as it turns out our building was leased through JC Penny and they had no policy against it (At the time and still afaik). Well because the property was leased he sued, got his job back and 3 months of pay he missed while off the job, a little extra and all legal fees covered. Well he never came back to work even after that :p.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Shall I continue? ;)

Actually, the HR manager has a can of mace, as do several other employees. Multitools are not uncommon. There is a replica sword hanging in one cubicle...

Just a CYA policy to give everyone warm fuzzies. Only enforced if they want a reason to terminate.

We share the building, and parking lot, with several other businesses. The leasing company actually "owns" everything (same as trnsplntfrmohio's comment). What constitutes "public parking"? I am sure any of you could park in the lot, and no one would even notice.

Just frustrating when folks try to dictate behavior outside of their control. If I can't lock it in my car, then I can't carry to and from work. Why should I give up my rights during my commute? Are they willing to assume responsibility for my safety not only in the office, but in the parking lot, and all the way back to my front door? Didn't think so...

R3ydium

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Agreed - the chances of my particular employer ever conducting vehicle searches are really low

I plan on investing in a good lockbox. One that would not prevent a thug from using the firearm immediately.

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    My employer has the "no guns on company property" rule. My managers know I have guns and they know I have a LTCH since I have gone to my place of employment on my days off while carrying. One of my managers came to me while I was working the day after I came to the store while OCing and asked me if I had a gun in my vehicle. I told him yes and he said that guns are not allowed anywhere on the property while I'm on the clock and that I had to take it home. He also informed me that not only should I have been terminated (I wasn't because my managers know I get things done and it would be stupid to lose me over that), but that I would be terminated if it was ever discovered that it was in my vehicle while I was on the clock. They said they have the rule because if someone were to break into your vehicle and find your gun and then use it, either on your employer's company or elsewhere, that the company could be held liable for it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom