• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    They said they have the rule because if someone were to break into your vehicle and find your gun and then use it, either on your employer's company or elsewhere, that the company could be held liable for it.

They are mistaken. The company could not be held liable in that situation, any more than you could be held liable if someone stole a gun from your house and used it in a crime.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    They are mistaken. The company could not be held liable in that situation, any more than you could be held liable if someone stole a gun from your house and used it in a crime.

Sorry, not that I want to, but I have to disagree. Somewhere, some liberal jury ruled against the person who's gun was stolen.

INGunGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    These Policies don't make sense to me. Most employees will probably adhere to the rules so they don't run the risk of losing thier jobs. The employee bent on taking out his boss and co-workers will then have free reign to inflict destruction. Why not encourage all your employees to carry as a deterent? Best choice in my book is don't ask, don't tell. You just might be the one to stop a mass murderer!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, if I break into your car, steal your tire iron, and use it to commit a crime, you are now liable? I doubt it. You might be "reckless" if you leave a weapon on the dashboard of an unlocked car. Out of sight in a locked car should protect you.

Pretty sure IC 35-41-2-3 limits the liability of a business.

Civil court is a whole 'nother story.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Agreed - the chances of my particular employer ever conducting vehicle searches are really low

I plan on investing in a good lockbox. One that would not prevent a thug from using the firearm immediately.

Simple solution; keep it on your hip. IWB tuckable holsters exist for a reason. If I can conceal my XDm, surely anyone but the skinniest twig can conceal a single-stack .380.

R3ydium

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    They said they have the rule because if someone were to break into your vehicle and find your gun and then use it, either on your employer's company or elsewhere, that the company could be held liable for it.

They were correct. The company could be held liable in a case if an injured employee were to sue, and to be honest, I understand the stance. Not only does their liability insurance increase with a gun friendly policy, their exposure to law suits increase as well.

Also, there might even be a chance you could be counter-sued over it as well. I'm not saying it's right, but government law cant really trump private property law.

So it sounds like a lot of people around here carry to work, but lock it in the car huh ? I need to start researching vehicle lock boxes. I'm sure they make some that can be bolted into the car which would make retrieving the gun by a thief pretty hard.

Top Bottom