• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I hope I won't have to use more than the 17rds in my XDm, but on long trips I carry two extra mags loaded with Winchester SPX and Corbons. In the trunk I have FMJ's and the rest of my mags, in case I stop at the range with a friend; or to use if all hell breaks loose.

Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    I usually have an extra magazine on me. Even if I don't use them all at one time you can get retaliation from others or other threats. I reload, before I reholster if possible.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I always have either one spare mag with me (normally a 13 rd model 21 mag), or 2 10 rd mags on me for extra, depending on where I'm going. In the car I always leave a 13 rd mag loaded with 185 gr federal hydrashock +p's in the glovebox, and a 10 rd mag with 165 gr hydrashock's in the door. Will be similar setup when I get a 1911 and start carrying it daily.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    Depending on capacity of the mag, at least one extra on me, usually 2 (for the lower capacity mags, sub teens) when out and about as well as 2 extra of the "main" carry piece in each vehicle.

I try to stay around 30 rounds (+/- a few) on me with another ~20 close by.

danmrt868

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    ft. wayne
    man if u don't have a LTCH its not even legal to take ur pistol to the range no matter where its at in the car ( lock box, trunk ect...) even if a cop says its ok its NOT therefor if ur friend, wife or whoever uses ur car and they don't have a LTCH take ur gun out

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Agreed!

Working on it with her, but she is pretty anti-gun. May take a decade or two.

Don't be too sure... my wife said she would never allow someone to bring a gun in our house (even our best friend who was considering joining LE she said she wouldn't allow in the house with a service weapon). Now she thinks guns are a great thing to have and is very pro 2A. She even applied for her LTCH a few weeks ago.

Only took 2 years to take her from being very anti to being a HUGE 2A supporter. Even the thickest sculls can be penetrated if you have a few years to constantly marinade them in logic. Too bad we can't get Nancy Pelosi and the like to live with us for a couple years.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    With regard to magazines, I do not leave any in my vehicle. I carry two on my person, where they may be needed. Leaving mags in a vehicle is a temptation for some LTWS criminal that will steal it. Carry those mags (and your felon repellent that is fed by that magazine) ON YOUR PERSON.

If you ever need that magazine and it's in the vehicle, it may as well be on Mars...

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Carying multiple mags on your person always seemed a little silly for a citizen. I have never seen or heard of a self-defense gunfight that lasted longer than a ew rounds; ever. WIth that said, my SHTF/Get Home bag has a spare mag for my pistol and rifle.:rockwoot:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    With regard to magazines, I do not leave any in my vehicle. I carry two on my person, where they may be needed. Leaving mags in a vehicle is a temptation for some LTWS criminal that will steal it. Carry those mags (and your felon repellent that is fed by that magazine) ON YOUR PERSON.

If you ever need that magazine and it's in the vehicle, it may as well be on Mars...

I don't typically carry an extra mag in my car, but I do have an extra mag in the pouch on my holster.

for those that say "an extra mag in the car won't do you any good," consider the words of Jeff Cooper (I'm pretty sure he said it; correct me please if I'm wrong). Something to the effect of:
    Carry a handgun to buy you enough time to get to the long gun you should have brought in the first place.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Thanks for all the input everybody. I now keep an extra 1911 mag in my car with JHPs. I have four mags for my Kimber. One in the pistol. Two on my hip when going to rough parts of East Chicago and Gary. And now, one in my car. Always nice to know it's there.

Blue River Guns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Don't leave one in the car. I always have two extra mags on my belt whenever I carry.

:yesway:

Much discussion about having an extra mag in the vehicle, but that does not help me when the situation happens inside Wal-Mart and my car is out in the parking lot. Good thread though and enjoying the reading.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Carying multiple mags on your person always seemed a little silly for a citizen. I have never seen or heard of a self-defense gunfight that lasted longer than a ew rounds; ever.

:dunno:Every suicidal "active shooter" situation reported on the news in recent years has reported the gunman shooting numerous times, changing mags and guns.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    :dunno:Every suicidal "active shooter" situation reported on the news in recent years has reported the gunman shooting numerous times, changing mags and guns.
    Are you planning to be suicidal and shoot a bunch of innocent people? I said, name ONE time it has been documented that a gun was used by a citizen in a self-defense scenario and used more than 2 or 3 rounds; certainly no more than a mag or anything else relating to reloading.

Top Bottom