• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you believe delivery drivers should be allowed to carry a weapon?

• Total voters

JCAJR30

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Union County
    Policies are written by corporate lawyers - does your manager approve/enforce this particular policy? I'd CCW and take my chances w/ management either not noticing or turning a blind eye.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    My wife was a pizza delivery driver for years. She was robbed three times. We have a good friend that still delivers pizza and he was shot last year while working (although carrying a firearm would not have made any difference in that situation). Most of the drivers I know have been robbed or beaten while working, most of these events aren't reported to police. I would absolutely carry if I were doing that job.

I was in the "delivery" business (Major carrier) for many years. Even though the "company" policy was NO weapons, since we were "contractors" most of us carried !!

Today I work in a facility that has a NO firearms policy, but, I carry a pocket gun anyway ........ I'll take my chances :):

dfinn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    I just landed a new job, a Glazing Instructor at Job Corps. (if ya know what that is ) I plan on packin ... Just sayin

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I voted yes.

But, it depends on how important carrying a weapon on the clock is important to you. You do realize there are items that can be used as weapons, but are not actually weapons, right? Think about it.

For me, I need my job. Fortunately, I am able to carry on the job, but I don't. I do keep it in my tool box though. And I do have to drive long distances for my job too. But like I said, I NEED my job. So if I wasn't able to have a weapon on me, I wouldn't risk losing my job, nor would I quit. Because I do need my job. But, also like I said, there are items that can be used as weapons, but are not really weapons.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    I voted yes.

But, it depends on how important carrying a weapon on the clock is important to you. You do realize there are items that can be used as weapons, but are not actually weapons, right? Think about it.

For me, I need my job. Fortunately, I am able to carry on the job, but I don't. I do keep it in my tool box though. And I do have to drive long distances for my job too. But like I said, I NEED my job. So if I wasn't able to have a weapon on me, I wouldn't risk losing my job, nor would I quit. Because I do need my job. But, also like I said, there are items that can be used as weapons, but are not really weapons.

I have little to no self defense skills when it comes to using above mentioned items. I mean sure, having a long heavy mag light would be better than my hands alone, but i fear i wouldn't fare much better in a confrontation. I guess that's what self defense classes are for though, right? Wouldn't be a bad idea to get a little better with my hands...

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    You do realize there are items that can be used as weapons, but are not actually weapons, right?
    oh, you mean something like the 48" pipe wrench that was in the toolshed at the factory I worked at last year? not a typo.

I've thought about that when I"m working on the car... not only is there a really sharp knife in the top tray, but there's a breaker bar, torque wrench and a few stout ratchet handles in there... plus I"m pretty sure a socket would be a painful distraction if thrown hard enough.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If it's not illegal to carry I believe everyone should have the right to do so.
    It might be against your employer will but that doesnt make it illegal.
    That's just like if your employer tells you "oh btw while you work for me you dont have the right to defend yourself if you are being attacked, you cannot carry a piece of candy in your pocket or wear pink underwear either".
    Your employer doesnt have the right to tell you what to do and what not to do if it's not related to the job.And carrying a handgun is not related to the job, that's a private matter.
    You employer cannot legally ask you if you carry a gun or not, unless you OC he should not know about it.
    I dont even think he could fire you for that if he ever finds out.

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    i work on the other side of this as a manager at a delivery business(read as restaurant) corporate policy is no firearms "store" policy is carry if can,but we all know if we ever have to defend ourselves we will be fired but its i choice i choose because at the end of the day i intend on going home

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have little to no self defense skills when it comes to using above mentioned items. I mean sure, having a long heavy mag light would be better than my hands alone, but i fear i wouldn't fare much better in a confrontation. I guess that's what self defense classes are for though, right? Wouldn't be a bad idea to get a little better with my hands...

Guns and knives are just tools. What will happen if you run out of ammo, or your knife breaks or gets lost?

Some key chains can be used as blunt objects. You do know how to throw a fist, right?
    Carry a large flashlight in your truck. There's a club!

Be creative. But don't lose your job over your desire to carry a gun. The job is way more important.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Guns and knives are just tools. What will happen if you run out of ammo, or your knife breaks or gets lost?

Some key chains can be used as blunt objects. You do know how to throw a fist, right?
    Carry a large flashlight in your truck. There's a club!

Be creative. But don't lose your job over your desire to carry a gun. The job is way more important.

To whomever he is talking to... sorry, I didn't feel like scrolling back through tons of posts to find out, but here's my two cents on making a fist.

There's actually a much simpler way to defend yourself if you are in a hand to hand combat situation... Just go for the throat. :yesway:

If you're in an actual situation where you must defend your life with your hands, you don't need to worry about making a fist because that's most likely only going to p*ss them off unless you know where to hit them at. Learn where the airway is located in the neck, the nerves, and bloodflow. This will help you figure out how to put them to sleep very quickly and hopefully save your life instead of making the assailant mad enough to actually shoot you.

If you don't know anything about hand to hand combat, I suggest you carry your firearm and don't even worry about getting fired. If you have to use your firearm, losing your job will be the least of your worries.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    When I was delivering for Lowe's we had a guy try to rob us (I assume rob us) at 46th and Arlington. We were southbound first in line at the light. Me and the guy that was with me were watching traffic, pedestrians and the back of the truck. The guy with me asks if I notice this guy walking around looking at the truck like he was up to something. I said yea. He came up to the truck, tried to open my door then started to beat the window...

My weapon of choice was the truck itself. Dropped her in 1st gear and let go of the clutch. I looked over at the guy I was with and he had the fire extinguisher ready to go. Thankfully for me he didn't use it!

I am all for being able to carry on the job. To many crazies out there...

Side note, in my newer delivery field weapons are not allowed but we are allowed to have flashlights and tire thumpers...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom