• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you believe delivery drivers should be allowed to carry a weapon?

• Total voters

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Carrying a weapon on the job (delivery driver)

For the past 3 years I have been a delivery driver in 3 different cities in Indiana (Indy, West Lafayette, & Valpo). At all three jobs i was never allowed to carry any type of weapon for protection. Do you agree with this? For those of you who have never delivered, it can be very scary delivering very late at night in bad neighborhoods (Indy especially). In the last month i was employed in Indy, drivers were robbed at my store, one of which had a knife held to them. Thankfully no one was injured, but i don't want to ever be in a situation like that and not have the chance to defend myself. Granted, i understand allowing one to carry a weapon while working carries some liability issues, but it can be a dangerous job.

Please refer to this article below, and go figure, it happened in Indy!
    AD: Pizza Hut Does Not Value Life - Dave Gibson - Jun 28, 04

Another more recent article from Indy:
    Pizza delivery man robbed, shot

*EDIT* Also, if you vote no, please explain your reasoning!

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In a free country, I believe that a private enterprise employer has the right to tell it's employees that they cannot carry.

I also believe that, in a free country, that a citizen who is allowed to carry a firearm for their own protection should carry a firearm should they desire; with the understanding that their life is more important than a job.

-J-

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've never been in that line of work, but I would not even consider doing it without being armed. We don't get many people just walking in at my shop, but I still carry at all times. It's a crazy world, unemployed is better than un alive.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    ... but it can be a dangerous job.

The world's a dangerous place.

its-dangerous-11.gif

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    My wife was a pizza delivery driver for years. She was robbed three times. We have a good friend that still delivers pizza and he was shot last year while working (although carrying a firearm would not have made any difference in that situation). Most of the drivers I know have been robbed or beaten while working, most of these events aren't reported to police. I would absolutely carry if I were doing that job.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If the employer does not know and they are not providing the vehicle for you to drive you should carry anyway. Like Indy_Guy said your life is more important than any job

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    I agree. Getting fired for not following policy would be a lot better than getting into a situation where my only form of self defense can come from my bare hands.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    if you use your own car they can not tell you not to have something in car.

According to their company policy, they can. I'm currently employed at Jimmy John's, policy says a driver cannot carry any form of weapon on their person or in their car. They also go as far as saying one cannot use ANY tobacco products while on the job or even come into work with the faintest smell of smoke.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    check the state law, an employer can not regulate a firearm in your car..

IC 34-28-7-2

The difference is when that vehicle is being used for job duties, and is, therefore, (sometimes) covered by the employer's insurance. Driving to work and parking in a parking lot is a different situation.

Elfboy26

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    In a free country, I believe that a private enterprise employer has the right to tell it's employees that they cannot carry.

I also believe that, in a free country, that a citizen who is allowed to carry a firearm for their own protection should carry a firearm should they desire; with the understanding that their life is more important than a job.

-J-

This ^^^^^

At my previous job I worked outside in some pretty iffy areas. I CC'd even though it was against company policy. Losing my job would have sucked, but not enough to lose my life over it.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    The difference is when that vehicle is being used for job duties, and is, therefore, (sometimes) covered by the employer's insurance. Driving to work and parking in a parking lot is a different situation.

I really should look into how my employers insurance works. I know accidents aren't covered and have to be dealt with through my auto insurance company.

Other than simply being fired, can any legal action between my employer and i arise from having a handgun in my car? If my only risk of breaking policy is termination, i'll take that chance everyday if it could potentially save my life!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

does not specify parked, just locked car.

and most delivery places make the driver prove they have thier own insurance..

"(2) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle."

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    also, on this forum is, or was, a driver who carried in violation of company policy & came back to the store in the middle of a robbery, robber got shot in head.. as far as I know the only "bad" thing that happened to driver is store fired him..

Top Bottom