• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    I just started carrying, and im carrying currently with out one in the chamber just to get used to it all and if i feel like i do a good job keeping the safe on and such ill switch it over....but if your being that adament about it why keep a thumb safety on it too?

Do what you gotta do. I did the same thing. No shame in that if you ask me. It didn't take me long to get comfortable with my gear and I started carrying on in the chamber.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Same here. I carried without one in the chamber until I had carried for a month or two, and none of my guns had gone "click" in my pants. Carried chambered ever since then.

Carrying a Glock is a wonderful feeling. I absolutely KNOW that I will need to do NOTHING when I pull my gun to fire it....except pull the trigger.

TargetIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Glad to hear I wasn't the only one carrying in "Fisher Price mode" as I came to call it. Once I was comfortable with my S&W M&P and holster, I started carrying it loaded. That trigger safety had me a bit wary for a while.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, before I carried any of mine with a round in the chamber, I went out and "tested" them.

I pulled on the Glock trigger without disengaging the safety, I used the de-cocker on my P64 with a round in the chamber, things like that. Anything I could test "safely," I tested.

No drop testing, because I have no way of knowing where a round would go, obviously, but I think the one thing I did that made me feel best about carrying with one in the pipe, was to take all my guns apart, and see exactly how they functioned, down to pushing on the firing pin with a pen with safeties on or off, so that I know EXACTLY what is happening within all of my guns, at any time. Thats really what got me to the point where I was comfortable with it. I knew what it was, and I knew how it worked; there was nothing more to worry about. I know that the gun will do its part, now I just have to do mine.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I too was shy at first about carrying with a round in the chamber.

That is until a friend of mine explained to me that I should practice drawing my handgun hundreds if not thousands of times in case I ever have to draw it in an emergency. His rationale was that in panic/emergency situations, we lose most of our higher level motor skills except for the ones that are 'second nature'.

Taking this thought to the next level, it would make sense that drawing, aiming, and squeezing the trigger are going to be the most I can be expected to perform in a panic situation. Remembering, or even being able to chamber a round will be darn near impossible (as evidence by the video).

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    tonight was the first time i carried with one in the pipe. ive carried for a few months now and was still unsure about a lot of things. but tonight i stepped it up, racked it, and put it in my holster. i have to say....i felt like i was ready for anything and everything. watching this video just reinsures me that ill always carry with one in the pipe from now on

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    When I first carried I was hesitant to carry with one in the chamber but as I got more comfortable with carrying a sidearm, I started putting one in the pipe. This video makes me thankful I never needed to defend myself during that time.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I see no shame in carrying without one in the pipe if you are worried about safety because you haven't carried long or are getting familiar with a new weapon. Anything you can do to be more comfortable with your weapon I say is a good thing. Some people will make you feel stupid for doing it but it is not about THEIR comfort level, it is about yours. Just an opinion.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I can see justification for some people carrying with an empty chamber all the time. A lot of women carry in their purses, and might have little children. I would definitely leave the chamber empty if that was the case with me; not worth the risk there. How many little kids will reach into mommies purse to find a mint, or piece of gum, or to grab that cellphone to play a game?

Gun safety should obviously be taught as young as feasible, but they still have to be a couple of years old at least to really get it.

I always carry "cocked locked and glocked," but I figured I would throw out a scenario in which I might NOT want to be.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I can see justification for some people carrying with an empty chamber all the time. A lot of women carry in their purses, and might have little children. I would definitely leave the chamber empty if that was the case with me; not worth the risk there. How many little kids will reach into mommies purse to find a mint, or piece of gum, or to grab that cellphone to play a game?

Gun safety should obviously be taught as young as feasible, but they still have to be a couple of years old at least to really get it.

I always carry "cocked locked and glocked," but I figured I would throw out a scenario in which I might NOT want to be.

Because you have brought up a rather heated debate close to my heart.....

Purse carry is the WORST carry in the world!!!!

Johnny M. Criminal runs past grabs your purse, now has your gun.

Your lipstick pulls the trigger and kills you or the kids.

Plus just the amount of time it takes to retrieve the weapon and make it ready.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I didn't say I was advocating it; but I know that there are MANY women who do it.

The modern wardrobe for women makes it difficult to hide weapons on the body, unfortunately. Pockets too small to hold anything large than 2 quarters, (side by side, can't stack them,) pants too tight to wear an IWB, shirts to tight and short for OWB....

Personally, I advocate all women being trained in the use of pump shotguns, and just slinging them over their shoulders. That'd help cut down on crime some.

But yes; I agree. Purse carry is not the best of situations. But when I think of my mother, I would rather it be in her purse than in her safe at home; I'm sure most of you would agree.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I think it's more important to carry in a way your comfortable with....If you never do like the feeling with 1 in the chambed, don't carry one...it's your weapon

as long as you don't pull a Plaxico Burress...who cares?

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    It's a constant struggle for my wife as well. We have no children, so digging in the purse is not an issue. What is an issue though, is the above-mentioned scenario where the purse gets nabbed. My wife has a couple of options though. When she is appropriately dressed, she carries the S&W 442. When it is more difficult to carry that way, she carries a 25Cal pocket pistol with a leather hook holster that can be easily concealed under her shirt.

Gareth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I carried DA revolvers, all the chambers were charged. And I was the only safety provided. I was perfectly comfortable with this arrangement.

I now carry either DA/SA or DAO SA pistols with a round chambered. And I am still the only safety provided. I am perfectly comfortable with this arrangement as well.

If there is a manual safety that can be engaged on a DA/SA or DAO pistol, I leave it disengaged to prevent a moment of potentially fatal confusion should a confrontation situation suddenly occur. The reason for this, in my case, is simple. Three of my carry pistols either don't have manually operated safeties, or are equipped only with a decocker. Two of my pistols do have manually operated safeties.

If one is going to carry a DA/SA or DAO pistol equipped with a manually operated safety, they should either do so with it engaged 100% of the time, or with it disengaged 100% of the time to prevent such a confusing moment to occur during a state of high stress when every second counts.

Top Bottom