• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    So this may sound like a dumb question but I need some advice. I have to start wearing overalls for some things that I need to take care of and wondered what the best way to carry would be. I know I can do a chest rig but that might be a bit much in public. I carry a Glock 23 as my primary carry gun. Not sure if any inside the pants holsters would work. I am hoping there are a few guys with experience wearing overalls and carrying that could give me their 2 cents. Thanks.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Jeez, with overalls ya oughta be able to carry a pistol-grip Remington 870 without too much problem! :laugh:

Depends a bit on exactly the type of overalls your wearing; i.e., bibs vs. coveralls. With most of the bib overalls I've seen, carrying on the side of the body might not be feasible, as the cut of the bibs negate that without exposing the firearm (might as well just OC, then).

If chest carry doesn't seem viable for you, how 'bout something like a belly-band rig, or something that's (sort of) a 'fanny pack' design but with a holster rather than a zippered 'pack'?

Or maybe one of the 'carry shirts' (I think 5.11 makes 'em) that's worn like a T-shirt but has pouches on either side to hold a gun? I think there's also some denim or canvas-duck type shirts with a similar design.

Or, maybe a wide nylon 'utility belt' with the nylon / plastic buckle and a IWB clipped inside of it? In this case, suede might work a bit better as it would offer a bit more friction when drawing.

Just some thoughts.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Thanks for info. It will be overalls. I have thought about the fanny pack but not sure. Also thinking that I might end up doing a Glock 27 and pocket carry. Is pocket carrying a Glock 23 feasible? The pockets are big enough.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Paging Warthog. I know he carries with a chest rig when wearing overalls.

I would think you could also carry with an OWB holster but inside of the overalls. If they are loose enough you just stick your arm down inside to draw the gun.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    JMO, but personally wouldn't pocket (or SOB) carry any striker-fired pistol due to the nature of the trigger system. Or semi-auto SA for that matter. At least, not with one in the chamber (which means not at all, IMO).

YMMV, of course.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My dad just pocket carried with an appropriate holster.

Seems like a Smart Carry type set up would work well. Pretty easy to access if you aren't wearing them too tight.

Bandsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Pike County
    I wear overalls year around and carry a Glock 17 in a Blackhawk Serpa holster. I wear light shorts with a belt under the overalls. Button up the sides, and no one will know you are carrying. If you then believe a situation calls for it, you can unbutton for easy access.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I wear overalls year around and carry a Glock 17 in a Blackhawk Serpa holster. I wear light shorts with a belt under the overalls. Button up the sides, and no one will know you are carrying. If you then believe a situation calls for it, you can unbutton for easy access.

^^^ This sounds like a possible solution. Snaps might be better than buttons for quicker access to the firearm.

P.S. I am having trouble reconciling bib overalls with a fanny pack. It just jars the sensibilities.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    no ankle carry. i tend to shy away from those since in an emergency situation, I think it would not work for me.

The Hillbilly holster thing looks interesting.

With the Serpa holster, how does it hold up with the weight of the firearm? That could be an easy fix.

Thanks for all the info.

Bandsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Pike County
    With the Serpa holster, how does it hold up with the weight of the firearm? That could be an easy fix.

I guess I am not quite sure what you are asking. Essentially, a good belt and the Blackhawk holster keep the gun at your waist, same as if you were open carrying, only you have a pair of overalls over them.
    I am a farmer and cattleman, so my days consist of climbing in and out and under equipment, being jostled around by cattle, etc. I am sold on the retention lock on the holster. The pistol stays put regardless of what you do until you press the release, which puts your finger in the proper position as you draw.
    I don't think I would be comfortable with the Hillbilly Holster idea. I think it would get in my way when doing things like leaning over into an engine compartment to work on something, and things like that. Also, I would think a draw from the hip would be a more natural move to make rather than reaching down into the top of the bibbs. Perhaps if the gun was situated so that you reached into the side of the bibbs it would work better. I only watched the first couple of minutes, so perhaps he might have covered that.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I meant that using it could be am easy fix to my problem. The hillbilly fix would more be for a woods scenario I think.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    With bibs I use the factory paddle rentention holster that came with my p226 at 3 o'clock attached to the bibs and I don't even know its there.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Due to my recent health issue I have had to go to suspenders....A belt was killing me...I had IWB carried for 25 years or so and was in a bit of a panic...Looked through the "Holster Duffle Bag" and found a DeSantis Pocket Holster...Slipped the Smith 640-1 in and I am impressed...Wife likes the suspenders and I think I may keep carrying this way......

Top Bottom