• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dascollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    I learned to carry spare hearing protection, and always have a bottle of CVS or other similar foam plugs with me.

Why? Simply because I ran into a young father with his three children who appeared to range from 3 to 6 or 7 years old at Pigeon River. He was teaching them to shoot - a .410, and a .22, and neither he, nor the children had any hearing protection. I made a point of walking over, noting that I was going to shoot my "loud" gun (a 9mm) and offered them hearing protection, hoping it would be an effective excuse.

He accepted for them, and not for himself, much to my chagrin. Foam plugs are cheap, and I'll always have my bottle with me!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    While my wife and I were at the range Saturday morning, there were several young men in the pistol lane next to us shooting a 45ACP. We didn't pay any special attention to them untill one of them asked if we had any earplugs. I offered him my spare shooting muffs, which he accepted. As I was leaving, I told him I hated to take them back, so I sold them to him for $5.00. My wife observed that the others didn't have ear protection either. After searching the car,we could find only one soft earplug to give him. So we gave him some paper towling for the other ear, and told him we hated to see anyone shoot without at least a modicum of hearing protection. On the way home, we stopped at WM and got enough plugs for the range bag, and the car, so as not to be in that situation again, since it costs so little for a package of plugs that can truly help someone. Those guys seemed to be enjoying themselves, but it's my guess there was some permanant damage to their hearing.(Gad! I hope not.) I know they were there for more than an hour, and it was busy. Anyone else carry spare disposables to the range for this purpose? :dunno:
    ANY LOUD noise, can cause hearing loss, OR tinitus... I get paid from Uncle Sam for mine... hearing loss NEVER comes back...

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I handed out 3 pairs one day. A guy shows up to Wilbur Wright to shoot with his wife and 2 kids. The guy is the only one who had hearing protection.:n00b:

I always have plenty of extras with me and I refill my pack often.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    People, people there is NO need to carry ear protection anymore. Where have ya been! Last week we all got ObamaCare and somewhere in the 2,000+ pages of law there is a small blurp that the government will do surgery on you to replace your damaged hearing FREE of charge [1]. So stop buying (& helping the economy & messing with the MASTER PLAN to kill the economy) and just enjoy your loss of hearing already!

[1] In order to qualify it may take up to 60 months to see a certified physican, another 60 to 120 months for schedule the surgery. You must also meet one of the following critica.
    - Illegal status
    - Not work or if you work not exceed $13,000 in gross annual
    - Have filled out your 2010 cenus FULLY on the first try

:laugh:

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Guess I'm going to take the other side to providing earplugs to others.
    If someone goes to a shooting range without ear protection where there's going to be oh lets say a lot of LOUD NOISE! I figure it's a waste of my time to try and help them. People need to be responsible for themselves.
    However since most gunshops sell earplugs, I will direct them to the front desk.

JMO

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I actually store my baggy of earplugs in my range bag. So, yes, I have spares. Also spare shooting glasses (one clear pair, one yellow-tinted pair). They are usually for my wife, but anyone else as well.

I think my local range (Danville CC) has freebie plugs by the sign-in sheet.

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    ears

I have a couple pairs of eyes and a box of the foamies in the truck but to think about it I can't even remember the last time I used them. :nuts:

I haven't been to a public range in a LONG time and you can't really wear them when your in the field.

I do in fact make the kids and new shooters where them. Well at least I teach good practice just don't watch me. :n00b:

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Yeah i keep a handful of soft plugs in my range bag. On a side note i shot at the indoor range at midwest in elkhart today and and it was LOUD. I will use them under my regular earmuffs from now on when i shoot indoor.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I have a couple pairs of eyes and a box of the foamies in the truck but to think about it I can't even remember the last time I used them. :nuts:

I haven't been to a public range in a LONG time and you can't really wear them when your in the field. :n00b:

You can't wear the soft plugs in the field, but you can wear the new electronic hearing protection/amplification type ear muffs.
    This is what I use when I'm hunting, and I have found that I can hear better with the muffs on. The ones I use are stereo so I can hear anything coming from either side and have wind abatement programming to cut out the wind sounds when I'm in the deer stand.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I need to start wearing my muffs when shooting my handguns or hipo rifles. I dont think its a good sign that after 100 rounds through an AK or 12 ga doesnt even give my ears a ring anymore.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    While my wife and I were at the range Saturday morning, there were several young men in the pistol lane next to us shooting a 45ACP. We didn't pay any special attention to them untill one of them asked if we had any earplugs. I offered him my spare shooting muffs, which he accepted. As I was leaving, I told him I hated to take them back, so I sold them to him for $5.00. My wife observed that the others didn't have ear protection either. After searching the car,we could find only one soft earplug to give him. So we gave him some paper towling for the other ear, and told him we hated to see anyone shoot without at least a modicum of hearing protection. On the way home, we stopped at WM and got enough plugs for the range bag, and the car, so as not to be in that situation again, since it costs so little for a package of plugs that can truly help someone. Those guys seemed to be enjoying themselves, but it's my guess there was some permanant damage to their hearing.(Gad! I hope not.) I know they were there for more than an hour, and it was busy. Anyone else carry spare disposables to the range for this purpose? :dunno:
    I know you better then that. You just bought all of those so you couldn't hear your wife.:D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    felix0213
    Top Bottom