• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I wear some rather powerful hearing aids due to severe loss suffered in the Navy. When I offer someone ear protection and they turn me down with some stupid excuse, like the ones Bisley Man pointed out, I take one of my hearing aids out and offer it to them with the comment "you're going to need this soon". Most of the time they take the hearing protection.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Forgot to put the plug back in my right ear just a few weeks ago ....got a loud reminder not to do that again. I'm in the market for some electronic muffs but, until then, I keep several pair of the foam plugs in my range bag.

I also wear the foam plugs when riding my motorcycle. It's surprising how much wind noise it cuts down (stick your head out your car window next time your driving down the road to see what I mean). :D

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Forgot to put the plug back in my right ear just a few weeks ago ....got a loud reminder not to do that again. I'm in the market for some electronic muffs but, until then, I keep several pair of the foam plugs in my range bag.

I also wear the foam plugs when riding my motorcycle. It's surprising how much wind noise it cuts down (stick your head out your car window next time your driving down the road to see what I mean). :D

If you go to the range with your buddies there is nothing better than electronic ear muffs.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Forgot to put the plug back in my right ear just a few weeks ago ....got a loud reminder not to do that again.

Oooh...that happened to RachelMarie once when we were shooting and I think she was shooting her .45. I know that had to hurt!!
    When I take the MiniMe or the spousal unit along, I always give a quick glance-over and check their eyes and ears before triggers get pulled...but I just didn't with Rach, and I felt really BAD about that!

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I "get" mine from work so I always have a bunch of them around. I also have a bunch stuffed into my Magpul grips on all my AR's. Better safe than deaf.

Mad Man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    LaPorte County
    I've got a ziplock baggy of them in my range bag for those that I go with who don't have ear protection. Myself I have a set of custom made ear plugs that I use on my motorcycle and they serve double duty at the range. I even use a set of cans over the top of them just for extra protection.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Say what? This is the first I've heard of them. Electronic ear muffs?

I just tried mine out for the first time today. AWESOME! (And even better after the hubby put the batteries in right for me! :ugh:)
    For low decibel sounds, like talking, they allow you to hear and chat with your shooting buddies. For loud sounds, like gunshots, they kick in and protect you from the noise. Mine are cheap but work well.
    Caldwell E-MAX Low Profile Electronic Earmuffs (NRR 23dB) Green - MidwayUSA

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Hey, which kind do you have? Maybe I'll just buy them from you now, instead of just hoping the fam picks something decent! :yesway:

(not kidding)

Ill have to look in my range bag and see what I have. I had them on this weekend while setting some tannerite in the woods to shoot. I could hear the leaves crunching under my feet with them on. I took them off and couldnt hear the leaves anymore. I might start wearing them for deer hunting.:D They were not very expensive...75.00 or less if I recall correctly.

My late teens I spent with car radio's hitting 165 db's. Im 36 and paying for it now.:xmad:

Top Bottom