• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    While my wife and I were at the range Saturday morning, there were several young men in the pistol lane next to us shooting a 45ACP. We didn't pay any special attention to them untill one of them asked if we had any earplugs. I offered him my spare shooting muffs, which he accepted. As I was leaving, I told him I hated to take them back, so I sold them to him for $5.00. My wife observed that the others didn't have ear protection either. After searching the car,we could find only one soft earplug to give him. So we gave him some paper towling for the other ear, and told him we hated to see anyone shoot without at least a modicum of hearing protection. On the way home, we stopped at WM and got enough plugs for the range bag, and the car, so as not to be in that situation again, since it costs so little for a package of plugs that can truly help someone. Those guys seemed to be enjoying themselves, but it's my guess there was some permanant damage to their hearing.(Gad! I hope not.) I know they were there for more than an hour, and it was busy. Anyone else carry spare disposables to the range for this purpose? :dunno:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    That's a wonderful idea! I will pick up some for my range bag, too. They give them away for free at school for use during tests.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I am horrible for forgetting hearing protection!!!

I am the guy at the range asking everyone he knows if they have extra plugs.

I am going to buy a set of muffs and grab a whole box of plugs from work and carry them in my range bag(as soon as I get a dedicated range bag).

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I carry a little tupperware thing with the orange foam ones from Wally World; I use a pair of them when I forget my cans. Also good for when you can get new shooters to a range.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    I am fortunate enough to be good friends with a guy that sells PPE. I got a full case of the nice MOLDEX earplugs with the string so they are easier to carry. I always have 4 or 5 pair in the range bag, a few in my school backpack, and a good hand full in the truck. Also keep a few extra pair of safety glasses with me too. Of course I usually only buy glasses that are Z87or Z87+ so I know they can be used for anything.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I always carry a ziploc bag full of soft earplugs in my range box. Been doing this for years, don't know how many I have given out over the years. Always amazes me peaple go out shooting without them. Been known to have a pair or two of safty glasses in my box too.
    Eyes and ears, always got to have those eyes and ears.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I buy them buy the plastic retailer jar full. It seems someone always forgets at the range including myself, so I sprinkle the little packets of plugs through anything I might carry to a gun range. I also have them in my pick-up center console. :)

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I carry a box for all my ammo and I have a bunch of ear plugs in there. Last year I went to Kingsbury and found I was one set short for the number of people that came with me. After that I bought a big package of them...it's not going to happen again.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    :dunno: I know not everyone is a "gunny", one who's well versed in what it takes to shoot.(eye,ear protection,safety) But more than once in the dozens(yes,dozens) of times I offered ear plugs to men, women, and children I get a "mind your own business" look. "We're just shootin' a 22 rifle" is the incredulous answer I've received from Dads."Well I'm shooting a .357 Mag. you really ought to use these,sir" I say. In my range bag I keep 3 pairs of glasses(clear, dark, and amber)2 pairs of muffs,and a dozen or so plugs. I wear plugs AND muffs.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I got a zip lock bag full of them from work that I keep in my car for going to the shooting range. I have to have a hearing test at work every two years. According to them I have already lost partial hearing in my left ear and I only started three years ago. Better safe than sorry when it comes to that stuff.

Top Bottom