• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Bloomington area
    so lets say you carry your pistol everyday every where u go no matter what. can u carry it with you if u go on a naval base? say like CRANE. or can u just keep it in your car without getting in trouble? and of course you already have a handgun permit.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    It is up to the individual base commander to establish carry policy on any military base. But almost all military bases that I have been on DO NOT allow civilian weapons on base. I would not take a weapon on a military base.

pate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Bloomington area
    It is up to the individual base commander to establish carry policy on any military base. But almost all military bases that I have been on DO NOT allow civilian weapons on base. I would not take a weapon on a military base.
    thats preety much what i thought it was for most of them but i thought i heard of a couple that let you? i was unsure about CRANE tho.

cjacobs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Bloomington
    Possession of Firearms and Dangerous Weapons in federal facilities, buildings, or Installations is illegal and is in violation of Section 930, Title 18, United States Code.

Privately owned weapons for members residing in government housing must be cleared and approved by the provost marshal.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    As an employee of the Department of Defense (I work at Crane) and have worked at other bases as well and I can tell you that no one other than security or troops during training may carry. If you are caught you will face federal charges. I have worked at, been stationed at or had temporary duty at over 20 bases and this was true for all of them.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    For the most part, military bases dont allow civilians to carry or even have in their possession a firearm. They don't even like having people that live on base to have them around the clock. Best I saw was that they allowed military personnel to store their private weapons at the armory, but getting back on base with them was a major pain.

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Hmmmm........I did'nt know this. I never go to a naval base or any others. Seems kinda crappy that our 2nd Amendment Rights are not upheld on a military base. Maybe its just me. So military and LE think we all should simply be sheep it sounds like to me.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    DO NOT attempt to carry a weapon onto Crane. The attention you get will be most unpleasant and the resulting legal issues even worse. But I don't think you'll get that far anyway. Even if you are active duty you can't just waltz into a Naval Weapons Facility.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Hmmmm........I did'nt know this. I never go to a naval base or any others. Seems kinda crappy that our 2nd Amendment Rights are not upheld on a military base. Maybe its just me. So military and LE think we all should simply be sheep it sounds like to me.

For those that serve in the military, their rights have essentially been suspended until they leave the service. Military and civilian law have similar areas, but are NOT the same. When you join the service, you give up a number of things.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Camp Atterbury has a public gun range, so you can obviously bring weapons there, but I keep them unloaded and in the trunk.

Inside the gate or are you talking about Atterbury Shooting Complex
    That is not part of the military facility, it's land across the street owned by the DNR and run by a third party. Land throughout Johnson County Park is mixed with DNR owned and land designated military property.

hunter_47443

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Greene Co.
    I used to go to Crane at least once a week delivering freight, (also carried) The only thing I had to do was check my gun at the guard shack going in. Got a receipt to claim it on the way out.
    The guards would usually have the paperwork started as I was pulling in!
    *BUT* That was about 25 years ago.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I used to go to Crane at least once a week delivering freight, (also carried) The only thing I had to do was check my gun at the guard shack going in. Got a receipt to claim it on the way out.
    The guards would usually have the paperwork started as I was pulling in!
    *BUT* That was about 25 years ago.

This ^
    But I think the guards are less gun friendly now.

Flyguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rural Franklin
    Inside the gate or are you talking about Atterbury Shooting Complex
    That is not part of the military facility, it's land across the street owned by the DNR and run by a third party. Land throughout Johnson County Park is mixed with DNR owned and land designated military property.

OK maybe someone can set me straight. I thought Johnson Co. Park was a county park that used to be federal land. Is it OK to carry at like the horse park, the railroad, the RC airfield etc?

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    It is county owned, but some of the land mixed in is DNR and some is Atterbury. Atterbury just reclaimed some of the land recently but all land is clearly marked when you are off the beaten path. Hoosier Horse Park, Steamers Club, RC Airfield and JCP RC are all part of the park and the funding comes from the county. The range I believe is DNR owned land run by a third party. I was part of the RC car club for years. I've also never seen signs posted anywhere prohibiting firearms nor have I seen anyone get stopped and questioned for carrying. Just make sure you stick to the sppedlimit on Schoolhouse Rd! ;)

Flyguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rural Franklin
    It is county owned, but some of the land mixed in is DNR and some is Atterbury. Atterbury just reclaimed some of the land recently but all land is clearly marked when you are off the beaten path. Hoosier Horse Park, Steamers Club, RC Airfield and JCP RC are all part of the park and the funding comes from the county. The range I believe is DNR owned land run by a third party. I was part of the RC car club for years. I've also never seen signs posted anywhere prohibiting firearms nor have I seen anyone get stopped and questioned for carrying. Just make sure you stick to the sppedlimit on Schoolhouse Rd! ;)

Thanks. I belong to the steamers club and although I don't carry there "too many kids and moms" I usually have something in my vehicle.

And yes. I follow the postd speed limit. :)

Top Bottom