• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Aren't most bike trails on city or state property? Didn't we pass a law in that regard a few years back?

That's what I meant. I want to ride from northwest to downtown, and I don't want any problems from either side. I can't remember if there are any laws restricting carry on the bike trails.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    You are good to go. Don't go into the normal off limits areas and you are good to go!

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Thanks MCGrease.
    Everything was peaceful. I noticed that I couldn't go along the east side of White river because it is posted, so I just went down the other side of the river. This actually the first time that I have noticed firearms prohibited signs (probably because it was the first time I was really looking.) Seeing the signs thought makes you really think about the people living there. There was nothing there to keep the bad guys out, yet no way to protect yourself.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Thanks MCGrease.
    Everything was peaceful. I noticed that I couldn't go along the east side of White river because it is posted, so I just went down the other side of the river. This actually the first time that I have noticed firearms prohibited signs (probably because it was the first time I was really looking.) Seeing the signs thought makes you really think about the people living there. There was nothing there to keep the bad guys out, yet no way to protect yourself.

Signs don't carry the weight of law in Indiana.

I'm not familiar with the specific signs you're referring to, but I'm guessing they are just the posted rules of White River State Park. They could ask you to leave if it's noticed that you are carrying, but it's not illegal.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I suspect those signs violate IC.

Possibly. But if they are at White River SP, they might be able to get away with posting them. WRSP isn't technically the same as the other state/city run parks, so I'm not sure if they count as a private entity or not. If so, the recently revised preemption language may not apply.

The Indiana General Assembly created the White River State Park Development Commission in 1979 as a quasi-governmental agency. It operates outside of the state park system and the Department of Natural Resources. This was done so the Commission could build the Park without restrictions often placed on state agencies, and so they could think “outside the box” for present and future developments. - See more at: About the Park » White River State Park | White River State Park

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    Speaking of bike trails, I had an intern at work several years ago who rode his bike from downtown up the Monon, and one time he had what looked like a 14-15 year old kid pull a gun on him. At the time he didn't notice, or immediately register with him, and just rode by. It wasn't until he was down the trial a bit and said, "Did I see what I think I saw?!" He looked back and kid was still pointing it, and then ran off.

I told him he should carry himself, but he was the type that thinks that we just to ban all guns and that will solve the problem.

Top Bottom