• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I prefer ranges that (check all that apply):

• Total voters

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    To my way of thinking, part of why we go to ranges (those of us who don't have friends with land or other access to private ranges) is to train, to develop and hone our abilities so that when those skills are needed, we have faith and confidence in our ability to use them. If they refuse us the ability to practice and train.... what's the point of going there?

Make Boom-Boom and put many holes close as we can to each other on paper.

Some ranges only allow a certain amount of training(sight alignment, trigger pull)...while others allow more(drawing, shooting on the move, etc.). Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    That's quite true - and why I teach a Personal Protection course that is heavily focused on drawing from concealment and engaging targets quickly. I acknowledge, however, that there are limited opportunities to practice drawing and firing on your own at public ranges.

Then may I suggest an intelligent compromise between catering the range rules to the lowest common denominator, and addressing the need for experienced, safe shooters to build and retain their drawstroke muscle memory:

As part of you required first-time user orientation, ask about their training background and if their answers satify you, ask if they would like to be permitted to draw and fire from the holster. If they do, have them demonstrate that they can draw and fire safely, then designate a few lanes at the range for those that have demonstrated their competence and are permitted to draw and fire from the holster. Problem solved. :twocents: :ingo:

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Then may I suggest an intelligent compromise between catering the range rules to the lowest common denominator, and addressing the need for experienced, safe shooters to build and retain their drawstroke muscle memory:

As part of you required first-time user orientation, ask about their training background and if their answers satify you, ask if they would like to be permitted to draw and fire from the holster. If they do, have them demonstrate that they can draw and fire safely, then designate a few lanes at the range for those that have demonstrated their competence and are permitted to draw and fire from the holster. Problem solved. :twocents: :ingo:

Not a bad idea but how do you keep track of who is allowed to do this? How do you keep other shooters from accessing the draw and fire area?

I think draw and shoot should be allowed. I can see limiting it to side holsters. Behind the back, ankle and front holsters would cause other shooters to be swept with a loaded weapon.

I like to draw and shoot, shoot and run. That's why I like uspsa.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Their range, their rules. You want to shoot there you follow their rules.
    I don't care for cigarette smoke. No smoking at my house. My house, my rules.
    I see no problem here.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    One of the two clubs I belong to has the range next to a busy highway. Even though there is a gate someone can easily climb over it. When I'm shooting and there are other club members there I leave my electronic muffs turned off. If I'm alone I have them turned on so I can hear around me. But I always carry concealed on my belt as a defense tactic. If I'm shooting a rifle I take it with me to the 100 yd berm. I'd hate to have somebody step out of the bushes and grab it or worse.

loganathompson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    That's what I like about sugar ridge range. You just go. Its free and there isn't any excessive rules. I honestly had never heard of not being able to carry at a gun range. Sorry but it seems counter intuitive.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    That's what I like about sugar ridge range. You just go. Its free and there isn't any excessive rules. I honestly had never heard of not being able to carry at a gun range. Sorry but it seems counter intuitive.

I was actually stopped at Sugar Ridge the other day by a DNR guy and he checked my range card to make sure it was filled out. He then proceeded to tell me that the rules have changed, and I am not allowed to have a holstered weapon on me at the range. I asked him about my LTCH and he said it is still not allowed. (I was OCing my 1911 on the 200 yard range while shooting my AR not practicing drawing or anything like that) He was very nice about it and I put my 1911 in my truck, but he then told me that I was lucky he saw me before a conservation officer did.

It is not posted anywhere, so is this really a rule at Sugar Ridge Rifle Range now? and what could a conservation officer have done about it?

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I didn't want to create a dupe.

Top Bottom