• I prefer ranges that (check all that apply):

• Total voters

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    As suggested by one of our esteemed colleagues!

A discussion started about private ranges that assert their property rights and forbid otherwise legal carry (OC or CC). This includes at the line or elsewhere on the property.

So, this thread is a two-parter:
    #1 - What are you thoughts on gun ranges that will not allow you to carry?
    #2 - Any chance we can break down which ranges have a no carry at the line policy vs. carry but no draw and fire vs. no stated policy?

POLL ADDED!

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    One of my posts on the subject:

I just strongly disagree with how they, and most other ranges, pick apart the parts of the 2a that they "support". You're either all or nothing, there's no in-between here. Support it and let responsible gun owners be responsible, or waffle on it and don't show a strong position.

I just cannot see the difference in "safety" when there are 50 guns on a range, but you're not allowed to "carry" one on you.

Now, if you don't want people pulling from the holster to fire downrange, by all means, make it a rule. I'm 100% ok with that. If you unholster your gun, you better have a damn good reason, and it better be a zombie. Otherwise, it's unacceptable, much like it's unacceptable for me to unholster while ordering my morning coffee.

Isn't there a middle-ground here where you can allow people to conceal/OC however they like... but prohibit use of their "carry piece" while on the range?

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I hate it when I see ranges that supposedly support the right to carry and at the same time, forbid it...

I carry at my local range with no issues and won't go to ranges that don't allow carry.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So far the majority are saying they refuse to go to a range that doesn't allow carrying.

BUT, will you go to a gun shop that allows carrying, but your gun HAS to be unloaded.

I don't see the difference.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Maybe they're trying to prevent this:

Police charge two men in shooting range murder - WPMT
    Mom kills son, then self at gun range - US news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

Because, you know, if you ban guns then all the world's evil goes away.

BUT, will you go to a gun shop that allows carrying, but your gun HAS to be unloaded.

Only one gun store I've ever been to has made me disarm. I turned around and walked out and I've never gone back (and I never will). Before I left, I made it clear that his policy was a poor one.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    So far the majority are saying they refuse to go to a range that doesn't allow carrying.

I don't see the difference.

I agree!

The local gun shop I go to down here has am edited 30.06 sign to add that anyone with a CHL is more than welcome to carry there.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Maybe they're trying to prevent this:

Police charge two men in shooting range murder - WPMT
    Mom kills son, then self at gun range - US news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

Because, you know, if you ban guns then all the world's evil goes away.

Only one gun store I've ever been to has made me disarm. I turned around and walked out and I've never gone back (and I never will). Before I left, I made it clear that his policy was a poor one.

Not to discount what you're saying, but those things can be done at any range, since guns are present. But you know that, and your post shows you know that. All ranges should know that.

I think the issue was "safety"... and that pulling and shooting from your holster causes the gun to not be "downrange" for a short moment.

But, as I said, they should just disallow holstered guns to be used. (granted, who's going to go to a shooting range and not want to shoot their carry gun?)

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So everyone is OK with a untrained person drawing and shooting next to you on the next lane?

No one cares that they might get a loaded gun pointed at them while on a firing line?

If no one cared then everyone would be a fan of shooting at Don's

I personally don't see the issue.

Your money your choice.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think the issue was "safety"... and that pulling and shooting from your holster causes the gun to not be "downrange" for a short moment.

Then the rule should be "no drawing from the holster" and not "no holstered guns".

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I figure they were trying to prevent this:
    Shooting-range accident wounds officer | Albuquerque, N.M. | KRQE News 13

Unfortunately, you can't.

What ranges do not restrict carry? My local club does not (no policy against it).

What ranges do not restrict draw and fire? My local range does not EXPRESSLY forbid it, but their policies would make it difficult. Muzzles must be pointed in a SAFE direction at all times. SAFE is downrange or up, by policy.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So everyone is OK with a untrained person drawing and shooting next to you on the next lane?

We're talking about two different things, here. One is drawing from a holster and the other is carrying a loaded firearms in a holster while at the range.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

No one cares that they might get a loaded gun pointed at them while on a firing line?

If no one cared then everyone would be a fan of shooting at Don's

I personally don't see the issue.

Your money your choice.

You're assuming everyone at a range is untrained and new. I would highly dispute that.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We're talking about two different things, here. One is drawing from a holster and the other is carrying a loaded firearms in a holster while at the range.

That is true.

But most of the people I see as a RO are out shooting their carry guns. So chances are a holstered gun will lead to a gun being shot during the range visit.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You're assuming everyone at a range is untrained and new. I would highly dispute that.

Most are but not all are.

I have seen a lot of:

I just bought this gun how do you do xyz?

I have had this gun for 10 years and the bolt doesn't lock open. This was on a 10/22.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That is true.
    But most of the people I see as a RO are out shooting their carry guns. So chances are a holstered gun will lead to a gun being shot during the range visit.

Then I reiterate my previous comment:

Then the rule should be "no drawing from the holster" and not "no holstered guns".

And if people can't abide by that rule, then they should be ejected.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Most are but not all are.

Again, you say these things that I would highly dispute. Please show some sort of evidence that states that most people at a shooting range are untrained and new.

If they are new, I doubt they're carrying yet. If they are not responsible, it is the range's job to eject them

Top Bottom