Carry in the Smokey Mountain National Park?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Hey, I'm taking a backpacking trip in the appalachians this summer, and I definitely want to take a handgun. I took the same trip last year, and had several very exciting encounters with both bear and boar. (Somewhat more exciting than I prefer.)

Anyway, with the big commotion being made over national parks lately, I was wondering what the current status is... are carry permits valid in national parks?

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Hey, I'm taking a backpacking trip in the appalachians this summer, and I definitely want to take a handgun. I took the same trip last year, and had several very exciting encounters with both bear and boar. (Somewhat more exciting than I prefer.)

Anyway, with the big commotion being made over national parks lately, I was wondering what the current status is... are carry permits valid in national parks?

I don't think you can carry legally in national parks until Feb. of next year.
    If you want some interesting reading, go online and put in "smokey mountains missing persons". I use to have a book about some of the missing persons cases. Makes you wonder.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It is currently illegal to carry in any National Park, like dogman said. That should change after the first of the year, tho. That said, what rangers don't know won't hurt them.

Thundorr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    fortville
    i've hiked this section of the appalachian trail a couple of years ago. i also had a couple of close encounters with black bears. they were not threatning but having a weapon would sure have made me more comfortable.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    It is currently illegal to carry in any National Park, like dogman said. That should change after the first of the year, tho. That said, what rangers don't know won't hurt them.

kyle1058, how is my answer like the government?
    I'm not telling him to carry or not to carry, that's his choice. But ask yourself if it's so safe in the parks why do the rangers carry guns? Why not just some pepper spray like they tell people to do.

:ingo:

Last edited:

kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    kyle1058, how is my answer like the government?
    I'm not telling him to carry or not to carry, that's his choice. But ask yourself if it's so safe in the parks why do the rangers carry guns? Why not just some pepper spray like they tell people to do.

Well i wasn't trying to take your post out of context, simply saying my beliefs as how the american government like's to take away our rights by saying we are safer by having less guns and less firepower to defend ourselves. Nothing personal and I didn't mean to offend you by even attempting to take anything you said out of context. I apologize if i did just that.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Well i wasn't trying to take your post out of context, simply saying my beliefs as how the american government like's to take away our rights by saying we are safer by having less guns and less firepower to defend ourselves. Nothing personal and I didn't mean to offend you by even attempting to take anything you said out of context. I apologize if i did just that.

Not offended at all, I just didn't understand what you were saying.

:ingo: :cheers:

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Unless your an LEO.

I don't think even LEO can carry under LEOSA in the parks right now since it's federal property. I might be wrong and even hope so since we plan on driving out to Washington later this year and will be driving through the northern cascades mountain range.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I don't think even LEO can carry under LEOSA in the parks right now since it's federal property. I might be wrong and even hope so since we plan on driving out to Washington later this year and will be driving through the northern cascades mountain range.

Federal Parks Police as well as the Federal Park Rangers have no problem with me carrying to Liberty Island/Ellis Island. Its a Federal Park with airport screening (metal detectors, x-ray, and explosive sniffers). They were more than happy to have me there armed, I was able to bypass security. I don't see why any "less secure" federal park would be different. I heard DC is quite friendly with visiting LEO's in their federal parks as well.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Federal Parks Police as well as the Federal Park Rangers have no problem with me carrying to Liberty Island/Ellis Island. Its a Federal Park with airport screening (metal detectors, x-ray, and explosive sniffers). They were more than happy to have me there armed, I was able to bypass security. I don't see why any "less secure" federal park would be different. I heard DC is quite friendly with visiting LEO's in their federal parks as well.

Sounds good to me.

:cheers:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Blast! Well, I suppose I'll just have to man up and use a club. :bat:

If my posts suddenly stop here in a few weeks, you guys will know what became of me. :n00b:

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I go to the Smokeys 2 times a year. I always CC and never have a problem. To be honest the bears are not as bad as what people make them out to be. I mean the Smokeys get Millions of people every year and there is rarely an attack. Everytime I encounter a bear im not reaching for the pistol, im always reaching for the camera.
    Disclaimer... Im not in no way saying it is legal to carry in the National Park. Im just saying, I do it with no problems.

mistergreentree

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    My family and I visited the smokies a few years back and it just happened to be after a fatal bear attack...needless to say we didn't walk those trails without protection. I feel if I'm legal within the state then I should be legal while camping in a park in that state.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom