• Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Hi all,

My wife is considering carrying. This is a very good thing, and I'm very pleased. At the moment, she is using my P22 around the house if she thinks she needs something extra and I'm not here to address whatever problem is in question. This is good because it has a rail to allow for a laser, but bad for it being a .22. I'm not knocking the .22LR, it's a good round, but shot placement has to be pretty precise and I'd like her to have something a little more stout, but within her ability (some medical issues) to manage, which means minimal recoil.
    She wasn't with me at the range the other day, but I had the opportunity to play with a Bersa .380, which I think would be workable for her... obviously, she needs to check it out for herself and see how it feels for her. The problem with that one, though, is that the Bersa has no rail, which brings me to my question:
    Does anyone know a reliable, low-recoil .380 with a rail to allow for a laser that wouldn't break the bank? We could get a Crimson Trace grip for the .380, but that'd be another $215 minimum and the Bersa itself is about half again that.

Oh... she's been pretty specific on one other point... NO PINK GUNS! :):

TIA for any help!

Blessings,
    Bill

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I've never handled one but a Walther pk380 would be a lot like the p22.

ry%3D400

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    BOR, I have a KelTec P3AT with the CT laser that I'd be willing to sell to you at a decent price. I'm not listing it for sale in general because I'm not hot to sell it (so folks PMing me wanting to buy it, this offer is only for BOR), but it's sat in my safe since I got my LCP since I'm not a fan of lasers.

I know the Bersa is a different class of gun, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Does it has to be a .380?
    A 9mm would be a great option too.
    You can find guns just a small as the little .380 pistols (LC9, PF9 ...), you will have a round with a bigger punch and still a manageable recoil.
    Plus the 9mm is cheaper and easier to find so its easier to train more.
    The PF9 comes with a rail, its cheap and reliable.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Does it has to be a .380?
    A 9mm would be a great option too.
    You can find guns just a small as the little .380 pistols (LC9, PF9 ...), you will have a round with a bigger punch and still a manageable recoil.
    Plus the 9mm is cheaper and easier to find so its easier to train more.
    The PF9 comes with a rail, its cheap and reliable.

It doesn't have to be a .380, no, but her only experience with a 9mm so far has been mine and she didn't like it. This may change in time, of course, but for now, it is what it is.

Thank you all for the quick responses! So far, the front runner is the PK380, but I have some PMs to answer, too. :)

Y'all ROCK!

Bill

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Have you considered something slightly larger in 9mm? It would be easier to handle and learn to shoot with, larger gun would reduce felt recoil. It would also be cheaper to shoot and more effective. You can get pretty mild practice 9mm ammo to practice with. Load up with hotter stuff for SD.

If you must have a lazer I was thinking about an M&P compact in 9mm. Adjustible back straps to fit hand, and also can be used with or without mag extension. Versions are available with options of external safety, mag safety, and lock "feature" if you're so enclined.

209304_01_md.jpg

Scotty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Anderson
    For a low re-coil, I would stick with the Bersa. The smaller 380's are nice to conceal, but have quite a kick. My wife hates my Kel-tec .380, but loves the Bersa.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Are you assuming she's recoil sensitive or do you actually know this for a fact? I mean, have you had her shoot a 9mm and say, "that's too much?"

The reason I ask is this - the Bersa Thunder 380 is a fine pistol for what I'd call a "full-size" 380, and is a decent choice for someone who is recoil sensitive. However, there are 9mm pistols that are pretty close in size, and the 9mm offers superior ballistics for less $$.

The little plastic pocket 380s aren't all that great for most folks who are recoil sensitive. Same could be said for light snub nose revolvers with +p loads.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Bill, don't dismiss that P22.

My wife carries one because she can't handle anything larger. 11 rounds of high-velocity .22's is nothing to sneeze at. I taught her to dump a magazine in her target and she can do it faster than you can say it.

What's better is, she LOVES to shoot the thing because she's confident with it and can hit what she aims at.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Are you assuming she's recoil sensitive or do you actually know this for a fact? I mean, have you had her shoot a 9mm and say, "that's too much?"

The reason I ask is this - the Bersa Thunder 380 is a fine pistol for what I'd call a "full-size" 380, and is a decent choice for someone who is recoil sensitive. However, there are 9mm pistols that are pretty close in size, and the 9mm offers superior ballistics for less $$.

The little plastic pocket 380s aren't all that great for most folks who are recoil sensitive. Same could be said for light snub nose revolvers with +p loads.

I know about the size and weight of the pistol reducing felt recoil. She is sensitive to it for now... hell, at this point, I don't even know that the Bersa would be good for her. When she fired my 9mm, she didn't like it. Other 9s might be better, too, for that matter, but all we have to go on for now is what we have. It's the classic balancing act... Too heavy a gun won't be carried or practiced with. Too light of a gun will be "too much" in terms of recoil. It's not that she's wimpy about it-she's not. There are medical concerns as well that require she stay with a low-to-no recoil pistol. So, for now, we get to play the "Three Bears" game... Too heavy... too light.... Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust right. We appreciate all the input, guys. Thanks very much!

Bill

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Hey - if the laser is optional, you might want to consider a Makarov. :) A bit bigger than .380, but still comfy. Haven't ever seen one with a rail, though. Might be a grip-laser, though.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Bill, don't dismiss that P22.

My wife carries one because she can't handle anything larger. 11 rounds of high-velocity .22's is nothing to sneeze at. I taught her to dump a magazine in her target and she can do it faster than you can say it.

What's better is, she LOVES to shoot the thing because she's confident with it and can hit what she aims at.

I haven't dismissed anything, Liberty. I recognize that the P22 can do the job. I also recognize that the likelihood of her needing it is minimal. All that said, though, if we bet on likelihood, few of us would carry; we don't, most of us, need to do so, but none of us have that crystal ball that tells us when we will. If the time comes that she does, I want her to have the best tool for the job, and that means balancing round counts, weight, recoil, practice time, etc., etc., etc. (as you well know)

If the best she can get on all or most counts is the P22, that's what she'll stick with. Thanks much for your input. :)

Bill

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I know about the size and weight of the pistol reducing felt recoil. ... It's the classic balancing act... Too heavy a gun won't be carried or practiced with. Too light of a gun will be "too much" in terms of recoil. ... There are medical concerns as well that require she stay with a low-to-no recoil pistol. ..

Understood. A bit of a dilemma. With the Bersa there's the added factor of simple blow back operation vs. delayed blowback to complicate things with respect to comparing recoil. Hmm. If you're trying to hit a small of a performance window (in terms of felt recoil and other factors), it might boil down to actually shooting a few guns from a list of candidates. Otherwise it will just be an educated guess. In addition to the weight and operation there will be other design factors and ergonomics that all play into felt recoil. I'd be surprised if the Bersa was too much for her, but I don't her needs as well as you do (or she does!).

You might also consider the CZ-83. It's a bit heavier and larger still than the Bersa Thunder 380 and is reputed to be a correspondingly softer shooter and you get the bonus of 15 rnd mag capacity. It's about as physically as large as a Glock 19 (although heavier), but many people find the G19 to be a good carry gun. Going the other way, the SIG P232 (in blue) is about the same size as the Bersa, but a few oz. lighter. Then there's something like the NAA Guardian that's fairly small, but heavy for it's size compared to the polymer pocket pistols.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I would go with the PK380 or the Taurus MilPro 138 (380).

I dont know what it is about woman liking the p22. I have never shot one, but every time we go to look at pistols, that is all my fiance sees. I do plan on buying her one, but I also want her to look at larger calibers. I have expressed this to her, and she understands, but is still fixated on it. "It just feels right!". If that is what it will take for her to carry, that is what it takes. I do like the PK380 because it is the same shape, and should still be easy to shoot. I have a Taurus MilPro gun already in 9mm, and that same gun in 380 would be easy shooting.

As to the above suggestion of a Makarov, I love mine, but I am not sure I would get it for a woman. They seem to like lighter, thinner guns. The Mak isnt a heavyweight, nor is it large, but it is heavier and larger than some of the guns on the market, especially some of the guns mentioned above.

Bill, please let us know what you guys settle on, and what she thinks of it. With some encouraging words, I may be able to move my fiance to a 380, which I would feel a lot better about.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I would suggest the Bersa Thunder 380.

Very accurate; very reliable; low recoil; easy to get proficient with.

My wife often uses one... her comment to me was "I would rather hit with a small one than miss with a big one" and that is exactly correct.

There may be stronger rounds out there, but a .380 in JHP +P loads offer decent stopping power; particulally with a 3 tap.... and it's much better than a 45 that the shooter doesn't like and misses with 3 shots.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Bill, I'm going to go in a different direction. When I had my fiancee out on the range for her first time, I handed her a Sig P6 in 9mm. Two or three rounds, and she handed it back, hated it.

But just to see, I had her shoot a Sig P229 in 40S&W, and she really liked it, completely contradicting what is thought to be common knowledge.

A friend was there with an officer's size Kimber 1911, and she wanted to give it a try. So, I loaded up a couple of mags, and she REALLY liked it. In retrospect, that wasn't too surprising, considering .45ACP has more of a push-type recoil, as opposed to the snap of a 9 or 40.

After that, she purse-carried a stainless 3.5" 1911 for a while, but decided it was too heavy. She later switched to a G26 with pinkie extension, and really likes both the way it shoots, and the way it carries. Myself, I shoot a G26 better with the 10 round mag.

I was surprised by the whole chain of events, but it really showed me how differently people can perceive different rounds out of different pistols. I also learned how, if you're supportive, and she has an open mind, she just might take a liking to something you never would have thought to suggest.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Based on the fact that she is fond of your Walther P22, I third the Walther PK380. The P22 was my first handgun and I was very happy to hear about the PK380. I got it right when it came out and I haven't had a jam or fail-to-fire yet. I carry mine with a Viridian Green laser, which is excellent,
    WP22catalogSMALL.jpg

especially since it's also designed to fit on the P22, it is interchangeable on both handguns. Or, if you don't want to shell out money for the Viridian (can't remember how much they cost), Walther makes a model with a red laser.

PK-380%20L-500x500.jpg

It has very low to almost no recoil. It's slightly larger than the P22 and gives you a better grip, in my opinion. The sights are better than Kel-Tec's P3AT/P-32s (not dissin', I like Kel Tec) and the Ruger LCP. This is the gun I got my mom to carry, and she loves it too. You guys should at least test fire one. It sounds like the perfect gun, going by what you described.

Top Bottom