• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    And it's obvious some people don't care and that's fine. I'm just not one to think "today I'm going to wear my Uzi, jungle boots, ski mask, and Ted for president hat because 'Merica that's why" if that's you good...you do what you do. I just feel like if you can't even consider another view point we as a whole may be in trouble
    Logical fallacy. We have considered the other view point and relegated it where it belongs. However, since we're on the topic of consideration of an opposing view point, why can't you see ours?

I never asked him to cover up. I told him if he didn't want people running from him he may want to consider it
    Objection, Your Honor. Asked and answered. You've said this at least once before. Which makes this the second time you've misrepresented what you did and why you did it. You wanted him to change his behavior for your selfish reasons.

I never thought he was going to hurt anyone. But that's because I know better . The other people in the store didn't and that's why they ran. That's also why I said what I did. Just to make a point that in the future if he didn't want that to happen he should just consider it
    Why would you think he cares what others think about him? Everything you've described him to be screams, "Leave me the hell alone." And you think that some punk in a baby store is going to matter to him? Nobody was running. And I'm betting that nobody was as scared or as concerned as you are implying.

I'm don't usually say this, but what are the odds we won't have to read anymore of this in about 3 more posts?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My opinion...but it sounds like the OP was prejudging this guy just on his appearance. How do you know this guy wasn't a cup whose been working undercover? Just because someone has a foreign accent, doesn't make them scary. I know many people who have come from Yugoslavia (my family included), Romania (lots of those in out small town), Poland, etc. They all speak with accents and often in their native language. It does not make them bad people. They are happy to have the right to carry and be here where they have freedoms that they could not enjoy.

We have a friend who was a state trooper. I had not seen him for quite a while and ran into him at Mike Green's funeral (another trooper friend who was shot while on duty near Indy in the early 1990's), I did not recognize this guy. He had been working undercover on a drug operation and had long hair, scraggly beard, etc. When he was done with that assignment, he was right back to the clean shaven, neatly dressed guy we all knew.

Don't judge someone by how they look. If he was scaring people in the shop, it was up to the shop owner/staff to say something.

zombieglock

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I read this whole thread. It was interesting.

I completely understand what the OP is trying to say, but I do not agree with the actions taken.

The other day as I posted on 'where did you see OC today'

"I saw a guy OCing at Hobby Lobby the other day. He was OCing in a nylon holster at his 7 o clock. The strap was undone and the holster/gun was flopping around wildly. He was a Young Black guy probably early Twenties."

I did not go running up to him to tell him what to do or anything. Many people were staring at his gun, yes, but didn't bat an eye. I was standing just feet away OCing also in disbelief that he was carrying in that fashion. It was not place to tell him how to carry that gun.

Like others have stated, You gotta have thick skin. Like my girlfriend would say don't be all dramatic by saying "well I guess im not welcome here, or this is the wrong place to state my opinion.

You'll do fine man. Good luck.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I miss anything? Has anybody been banned or displayed butthurt? I do ot want to rea 16 pages. Pretty sure I know how this went down. Off to breakfast with the parents. CC of course

Yep, that's the only way to do it! :stickpoke:

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Never have I been asked to conceal or was told I was frightening people. Then again I never dressed like a wannabe SWAT dude at a kids store and wonder why people literally ran out of the store Maybe there's a connection there...??? I'm not sure how many times I need to say I didn't tell him he couldn't or shouldn't open carry I just said maybe consider what you look like when you do so. Again I've stated that I support his right to dress, speak, and carry as he pleases. Only stating that maybe people should think about what their actions make the pro gun community look like.

So it's okay with you if I open carry dressed as sponge bob while in a kid's store? And no, I'm not being a dick.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I kinda get what the OP was saying, and I don't think he is trying to flame the OC guys but I took it more as he wants good representatives for us when he talked about appearance and things…

I frequent a local coffee shops and so do a lot of my buddies. Some are in graduate school and others go just to knock out work related things while we all hangout and goof off working on whatever we need to accomplish but still talk hunting, guns, weekend plans or whatever. I have seen quite a few guys come in OCing over the past 6 months or so which is nice. This leads to many "whats in the holster!?" talks with the guys and talking over approval/admiration or harping on of weapon choice or whatever else may ensue based on who/what came in.

But after several of these talks there was a night some of the guys had an issue with how a guy looked while OCing, then a conversation such as the one taking place here ERUPTED! But a lot of the guys had some good points and I will say that when we OC we are representing the 2nd amendment and influencing a public view of guns when seen with them. So our appearance, actions, and how we conduct ourselves also can or does impact the views of others on the 2nd amendment and guns. So while OC is great and I know that the 2A does not discriminate in anyway (just referring to this thread) I do as a gun lover think it is important to remember what we represent and what that means, applied to all things gun related. So it doesn't just apply to open carry, but about anything gun related. We need to be aware of how we represent ourselves is all I think.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I kinda get what the OP was saying, and I don't think he is trying to flame the OC guys but I took it more as he wants good representatives for us when he talked about appearance and things…

I frequent a local coffee shops and so do a lot of my buddies. Some are in graduate school and others go just to knock out work related things while we all hangout and goof off working on whatever we need to accomplish but still talk hunting, guns, weekend plans or whatever. I have seen quite a few guys come in OCing over the past 6 months or so which is nice. This leads to many "whats in the holster!?" talks with the guys and talking over approval/admiration or harping on of weapon choice or whatever else may ensue based on who/what came in.

But after several of these talks there was a night some of the guys had an issue with how a guy looked while OCing, then a conversation such as the one taking place here ERUPTED! But a lot of the guys had some good points and I will say that when we OC we are representing the 2nd amendment and influencing a public view of guns when seen with them. So our appearance, actions, and how we conduct ourselves also can or does impact the views of others on the 2nd amendment and guns. So while OC is great and I know that the 2A does not discriminate in anyway (just referring to this thread) I do as a gun lover think it is important to remember what we represent and what that means, applied to all things gun related. So it doesn't just apply to open carry, but about anything gun related. We need to be aware of how we represent ourselves is all I think.

I get what he's saying also.
    But when I've been digging fence posts, I'm not showering and changing so that I can go to Menards.

Are people asked to dress up for voting?
    Do you tell a group of people (any people) that they need to dress better because they "represent" their group.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    But when I've been digging fence posts, I'm not showering and changing so that I can go to Menards.

Do you tell a group of people (any people) that they need to dress better because they "represent" their group.

Exactly.

Where do I find what I can't wear? What if I just left a training class where I wore cargo pants? What if I just like Cargo pants?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

No I totally agree with what you are saying too, I have farmed the last few years and so I'll be in work clothes and things as stated in places where I just am not going to change first. That is just life, but also "life" we are judged on our appearance like it or not. I saw a guy at harbor freight the other day looking at tools OCing in work clothes and things, I don't mean we should put on a suit and tie, I just mean its something we should give some thought. The guy I was referring to is someone I would give a second look with or without a gun (and I still had little problem with it). It's not all about appearance, sometimes it is just your demeanor too. I wasn't trying to bash or imply anything but more like make people think as I did that day when my buddies and I all talked about it.

Unchained

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Westfield
    Open carry

I carry every day, in saying this, I do conceal the gun I carry. My thought is, if something bad happens, like a robbery, if I carry a visible gun, I may be the 1st to get shot. I want a fighting chance.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    No I totally agree with what you are saying too, I have farmed the last few years and so I'll be in work clothes and things as stated in places where I just am not going to change first. That is just life, but also "life" we are judged on our appearance like it or not. I saw a guy at harbor freight the other day looking at tools OCing in work clothes and things, I don't mean we should put on a suit and tie, I just mean its something we should give some thought. The guy I was referring to is someone I would give a second look with or without a gun (and I still had little problem with it). It's not all about appearance, sometimes it is just your demeanor too. I wasn't trying to bash or imply anything but more like make people think as I did that day when my buddies and I all talked about it.

With all due respect Bfish, you are also wrong. How can you say someone can't OC in their work clothes? Many days I spend more time in my work clothes than I do my casual clothes. I'm quite sure many others do too. If someone is responsibly OCing with a holster and belt who are we to say what they can and can't wear???

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    With all due respect Bfish, you are also wrong. How can you say someone can't OC in their work clothes? Many days I spend more time in my work clothes than I do my casual clothes. I'm quite sure many others do too. If someone is responsibly OCing with a holster and belt who are we to say what they can and can't wear???

Then I was misunderstood, so for the record you can OC however you want. I was just saying we are judged on our appearance, being in work clothes doesn't make you look threatening or like a dirt ball so therefore not the appearance I was talking about. The reason I even brought this up was because the OP talked about how he makes certain he is clean cut and dressed a certain way. So while we may not agree with this, in his defense I was saying I could see the direction I think he was headed. Sometimes ones appearance can play a part in how they are perceived but their demeanor plays a larger part than appearance IMO. Plus no matter how we look or act some people won't be ok with our guns regardless, and for this reason I to an extent just don't worry about it. The reason why I gave the harbor freight example, no issues there. I also often go around about my business in work clothes, the guy didn't get a second look from me or anyone else in said work clothes. Heck we have seen some guys who I am assuming were HVAC guys who had been in an attic, no issues there (just another example is all). This wash just done in defense or hopes of getting the point across that wearing work clothes or not being "dressed up" or looking clean kept (however you want to say it) is not what I was referring to, or more clearly say I wasn't speaking to work clothes, just other perception of us. (which to some may be better dressed that way :D Unless you're a 1911 snob)

Carrying and being an advocate is positive, it not just appearance but behavior. What I hate more are those that "look" like everyday normal guys but are the people who make 2nd amendment videos open carrying AR's looking for a response usually by law enforcement so they can "exercise their rights" this just does more harm than good, but that is a different topic I suppose.

I am not calling people out specifically of anything especially not those in work clothes (I would never do that, I was trying to relate back to it myself being a guy in them) I get what you and actaeon are saying and from my understanding I am lumped in with you. But I think it may be a safe call to assume you have at some point seen a guy or can imagine someone who may fit the bill as to what I am talking about.
    Maybe someone who would seem threatening without a gun, so then the presence of a gun can make people (especially those who unlike us, who "don't get it") uncomfortable. This is what I think should be avoided. Should judging people in such a way be avoided? Yes! Will it happen? No! I do get it is everyones right no matter what and people here on INGO are usually always very responsible gun owners and positive for outside view when it comes to our love for firearms... None of us want people giving others a negative view of us. There are countless threads dedicated to it.

I am not saying I have a problem but more how I can now see for myself how those thinking differently than me could feel. I try to be aware of this is all. *this has nothing to do with being in work clothes but more of how someone is perceived by others, no matter what influences lead to the perception.* (I think it's just good for us to remember it or be aware of it at least; not saying to change anything) Sorry to unintentionally stir the pot!:D

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    OC is ok, Bbbbuuuuutttttt.

Only if I think you look ok.

This is as ANTI as mommies throw tantrums for action.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I carry every day, in saying this, I do conceal the gun I carry. My thought is, if something bad happens, like a robbery, if I carry a visible gun, I may be the 1st to get shot. I want a fighting chance.

Oh my gosh, I had never considered this before. Why, oh, why hasn't someone brought this up before?

Top Bottom