• Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Look at it this way...

BANG!
    The burglary crew just kicked in your door or threw a block through your window. will you get to your gun before they get to you?

Jerry C

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I always have one on me at home. That is where the most important things in my life reside, and if I had to defend them, I don't want to have to run for a gun. If you invest in a good holster and belt, you don't notice it there. No reason in the world for me to not carry 24/7. My door does not provide a magic barrier against crime.

My thoughts exactly. If I'm not in the bed or shower it's on me. If you have an appropriate carry rig you shouldn"t even know it"s there.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I have one on my hip most of the time. I know the others are in the safe. I don't want to worry about leaving my EDC out for my kids to find.

And if the kids are aware that you are carrying a gun, they are not as fascinated by them.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    Don't go to places where you feel a greater need to be armed...those are un-safe places and you are placing yourselves in harms way. I know you joked about Chicago...that is a place that I no longer visit because it is unsafe and I can't take my firearm.

Carry around your child. Remove the fascination about firearms. Let him see it whenever he wants, let him handle it, touch it, whatever. Teach him the 4 rules right away. Get him the Eddie the Eagle video from the NRA. :twocents:

Oh, I avoid unsafe places if I can. I'm due to custody with my son I'm required to go to Illinois. If I didn't have to go to Illinois I would not go!

I was planning on letting my son know about my firearm, when I get it. Having something be forbidden is the best way to get a curious little one all that more interested! I was not aware of the Eddie The Eagle video. I will be putting that on my list of things to get with my weapon! Thank you!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I don't worry about home invasion nearly as much as robberies or mass-killings while I'm out in the world. Nothing leads me to believe that my home is a likely candidate for home invasion while two cars are parked prominently in the driveway on our small cul-de-sac.

That said, I tend to keep it on me while wearing a belt. Many days, this means from 7:30am to about 10pm. It's in the GunVault on my night stand otherwise.
    I'm not trying to be snarky, but that makes no sense. Random is exactly that. There's no justifiable reason to think a robbery or mass-killing outside of your home is more likely than an invasion of your home when you are present.

[/COLOR]

You're killing' me... I want to know more about these "activities".

Pics/vids.... Help us out here!!! ;)

:): I homeschool my kids, who are 3 and 6. It's just easier and more comfortable to keep the EDC up and out of reach than constantly readjusting activities/behaviors to account for its physical presence. And typical of the age, my kids take the "DO NOT TOUCH" rule uber literally. It impedes their interaction with me if they feel like they can't do something for fear of accidentally making contact with it.

Carry around your child. Remove the fascination about firearms. Let him see it whenever he wants, let him handle it, touch it, whatever. Teach him the 4 rules right away. Get him the Eddie the Eagle video from the NRA. :twocents:

Yeah, my 3y/o doesn't bat an eye when I strap on the holster when we run errands. Sometimes he'll ask me why I don't have it if I'm being lazy and just CCing the .38 in the purse.

My 6y/o think it's old hat now and it bored with it unless he can actually shoot them (with Dad).

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    Yeah, my 3y/o doesn't bat an eye when I strap on the holster when we run errands. Sometimes he'll ask me why I don't have it if I'm being lazy and just CCing the .38 in the purse.

My 6y/o think it's old hat now and it bored with it unless he can actually shoot them (with Dad).

That is where I want to get my son. To the point where he's bored with it until he can shoot with me. :)

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not trying to be snarky, but that makes no sense. Random is exactly that. There's no justifiable reason to think a robbery or mass-killing outside of your home is more likely than an invasion of your home when you are present.

Are you trying to say that my home is as likely to be robbed while we're home & have two cars in the driveway as a ghetto convenience store is to be held up? You seem to be ignoring that violence isn't random. This isn't Dawn of the Dead. Even the "scumbags" run risk-vs-reward calculations.

I have an $85k house on a small diameter cul-de-sac tucked way back in a housing edition with a very small .15 acre yard and 5 other yards touching mine, all with short fences. Four of our neighbors are retired & nosy. Nothing about our home screams "valuables inside". If my home is invaded, it'll be by someone I know. Fortunately, I only know two people who I would suspect of trying such a thing at my home (of those who know where I live)...and they're both so cowardly that they wouldn't even do it if my neighbor was home, let alone our cars in the driveway. Apart from them, I don't know anyone who's still alive & lives in the region who's had substance abuse issues or has sketchy sources of income. The vast majority of people I associate with tuck their shirts in & have salaried jobs (if you can accept a bit of basic statistical profiling).

Contrast that to my chances of being at a place of business or public space where violence could occur. Security through obscurity really does work.

Of course, if you're convinced that robbers just randomly pick homes to rob & don't care whether they're currently occupied...I don't really know how I can have a conversation about this with you. :dunno:

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    This week, girl knocks at our door, after a few minutes wife calls me to handle it. 19 year old had been in our house while we were on vacation. House sitter stated it was HIS HOUSE. Girl and house sitter entered into agreement. Sex, pictures and who knows what else. House sitter never pays up, and leaves town.

Girl continues the seek out collections of funds and shows up at our door and talking with me. She says, "I was going to have friend kick in door, and throw some bricks." I point to my kids, show her EDC, tell he she is lucky to be alive. She cries, apoligises, and leaves.

Her beef was with someone else, but stupid people tend to make stupid mistakes. Girl or her friends almost had a come to Jesus moment. EDC always on hip, or in pocket. Kids go to range, and know how to shoot. Even with firearms, I still feel at a disadvantage to a surprise invasion.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Are you trying to say that my home is as likely to be robbed while we're home & have two cars in the driveway as a ghetto convenience store is to be held up? You seem to be ignoring that violence isn't random. This isn't Dawn of the Dead. Even the "scumbags" run risk-vs-reward calculations.

I have an $85k house on a small diameter cul-de-sac tucked way back in a housing edition with a very small .15 acre yard and 5 other yards touching mine, all with short fences. Four of our neighbors are retired & nosy. Nothing about our home screams "valuables inside". If my home is invaded, it'll be by someone I know. Fortunately, I only know two people who I would suspect of trying such a thing at my home (of those who know where I live)...and they're both so cowardly that they wouldn't even do it if my neighbor was home, let alone our cars in the driveway. Apart from them, I don't know anyone who's still alive & lives in the region who's had substance abuse issues or has sketchy sources of income. The vast majority of people I associate with tuck their shirts in & have salaried jobs (if you can accept a bit of basic statistical profiling).

Contrast that to my chances of being at a place of business or public space where violence could occur. Security through obscurity really does work.

Of course, if you're convinced that robbers just randomly pick homes to rob & don't care whether they're currently occupied...I don't really know how I can have a conversation about this with you. :dunno:
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Or are you trying to say that home invasions don't happen?

Eli Wolfe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    I usually stuff my 442 into my jeans when at home, and always have it when I walk my property or work in my wood shop. I'm old, my neighborhood is declining as fast as I am. S@W feels good!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Joining the party late and not reading all the prior responses. I always have a weapon on me whenever I'm out of bed. The crooks are always plotting and planning and in my neighborhood there have been several homes robbed by kicking in the front door and grabbing whatever could be grabbed. I normally have a 1911 on my hip and a NAA 22 in my pocket. sometimes I go "light" and just carry the 22 at home. I also have 2 shotguns and an M4 Carbine loaded and handy in the house. Paranoid? Maybe but I'm prepared none the less. ;)

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County

That is exactly what I thought until someone broke in and stole my 22 and 9mm I was about 100yrds away when it happened. Nosy neighbors picked an inconvient time to mind their own business. Howeve it was someone I knew an trusted. Dirty bast*rds.

Kaardomos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Milltown, Indiana
    I always have one of my EDCs on me around the house as long as I'm awake and dressed.One of the hidden advantages of always having it is that after awhile, you tend to not notice the extra weight..

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    My handgun is part of my wardrobe, I put it on as soon as I get dressed and take it off right before I go to bed. If for some reason I don't have a gun on me while in the house I can get to one in the matter of seconds, no matter which room I'm in.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I always carry or have my EDC next to me in house. I have had 3 children grow up around guns. Educate them about them at a young age. The only way you can keep your guns away from kids is to have them where they would do you no good when you needed them. I like the book by Ayoob on gunproofing your kids.

Occupied burglaries do happen. Typically if they break in and know people are home, they are looking for more than just to take your possessions, ie rape, kidnap, hostage. I'm not willing to gamble that it won't happen, even in my small town.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

Paco, people have big mouths. It doesn't have to be anyone who knows you at all... it can be as simple as somebody overhearing a conversation that happens to include info about your shooting and realizing you've got stuff to swipe.
    You're just the type of homeowner they're looking to score from whether you're gone (empty house) or not (at home, but UNarmed) - easy mark.
    Precious seconds count, man. :twocents: Take care. :)

Top Bottom