• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    A Question occured to me and the wife here recently. We live in Elkhart County. As such, we have the nation's 2nd largest County Fair in Goshen,IN.

Whereas the new senate bill specifically allows carrying of firearms in public parks, government buildings, etc...

The question is, is the Elkhart County 4-H Fairgrounds (or other county fairgrounds for that matter) publicly owned, or privately owned?

If it is privately owned, I can see CC at the fair (or even OC for that matter, but...) and leaving if we are asked to leave...

If it is publicly owned, CC or OC, and telling them to pound sand when asked to leave...

Anyone happen to know the answer to this one? I've done a little bit of digging around their website but haven't been able to answer this question.

County fairgrounds currently have no weapons allowed signs posted at entrances. But as the same signs are found in some of the area parks and are clearly still there in the face against the senate bill...

Know what I mean Vern?
    :dunno:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I don't know the answer to your specific question, however ownership my not tell the whole story. If the fairgrounds are publicly owned but leased for the fair by a private entity like the 4H, they can make any rules that they like. No different than Indianapolis owning Lucas Oil stadium and the Colts and the NFL making rules for entry at games.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've carried at my local County Fair for years. Never had a single issue with it. There are no signs or warnings anywhere and the place is run by 4-H. I do know the local 4-H has had shooting as an activity in the past, so I figure guns must be OK.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Lake County has signs posted No Firearms...but that makes me wonder if that is only during the time that the fair is taking place and not any other time?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The Hendricks County Fairgrounds are owned and operated by the County. The Fair is even run by the County. Last I checked, they do not have any signage, and I have carried at the last few fairs without issue.

Other counties are different, obviously.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Many of the county fairs are either owned or operated by the 4H fair board in that county. Even if the actual property is owned by the county, they lease it to the fair board or other non profit company who runs the fair. Thus, it is treated as private property. The Elkhart County fairgrounds are definitely anti-gun. I would suggest GOOD concealment if you go. I went several years ago, and an LEO saw me printing and asked me to take it back to my car or leave.

If you want a good read, look at my encounter last year at the Marshall County Fair.

Original incident:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...h_fair_1_marshall_county_reserve_officer.html

Update:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...016-update_on_oc_at_marshall_county_fair.html

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I know there were signs @ the Tipton Co. fairgrounds (?!), but I carried anyway. Funny thing is, they have a really nice little gun show there a few times a year.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I took a look at the gun club for 4-H for my daughter. She's got a couple years yet before she can get started, but all competition and practice shoots occur off of the fairgrounds, and during fair week, they aren't allowed to bring firearms onto the fairgrounds.

Guess I'll just need a really good conceal...

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    If any of the events occurring at the fair are sponsored by any of the local schools, the umbrella that covers all school-sponsored functions probably applies to county fairs as well. A call to the management company that produces the fair should provide an answer (never speak to the girl who answers the phone...always ask for a male over age 40.)

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    If they post it, I respect it. If the don't, then I do what I always do. It is just a matter of being proactive, and being positive with your message. Knowing what is legal, and know what is NOT legal is our responsibility. Educating others in a positive manner is also part of our job, our charge. If we can do that, I doubt we find people who are scared of us. I personally prefer someone who is OC, because I know those folks and I probably see a lot of things very similarly, and they are, like I, prepared for every eventuality and are trained in the handling of their weapon.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I don't know the answer to your specific question, however ownership my not tell the whole story. If the fairgrounds are publicly owned but leased for the fair by a private entity like the 4H, they can make any rules that they like. No different than Indianapolis owning Lucas Oil stadium and the Colts and the NFL making rules for entry at games.

Lots of county fairs and 4H groups receive county tax dollars. I think that would make them a subset of the county.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    If any of the events occurring at the fair are sponsored by any of the local schools, the umbrella that covers all school-sponsored functions probably applies to county fairs as well. A call to the management company that produces the fair should provide an answer (never speak to the girl who answers the phone...always ask for a male over age 40.)

I'm gonna have to look closer at the school sponsored part there then. The way I saw it growing up in Kosc. County, the 4-H clubs sometimes sponsered clubs like the FFA at schools, but it wasn't a school club technically.

So there's a followup question for ya'll...

Is the Future Farmers of America a school sponsered club, or is it a 4-H club sponsered by and sometimes meets at schools?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

Good god man, that was epic.

I [STRIKE]know[/STRIKE] have heard the St. Joe County fair has no gun signs at all public entrances. We take livestock so I have never been through the public gates so I can't really say for sure.

Top Bottom