• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I'm sick of being a janitor.The hours suck,the work is ****ty,the people are annoying,and I feel like I'm spinning my wheels and not doing anything with my life.I want a career where I make a difference,use my brain,and get to help people.I'm thinking about becoming an EMT.I have a few questions first for any current EMTs.

1) How is the pay/benefits?

2) Is it as rewarding as it seems it would be?

3) Are there any schools that I could afford around Bloomington that would accommodate my current 17:30-02:00 work schedule?

4) How hard is finding a job once I finish school?

Last edited:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    If your going to do it, go paramedic. EMT generally only work BSL (basic life support) rigs and 'ambulances' operated by private companies; they usually only transport to and from retirement/rehab place. There are a few private companies who provide services to the public, but they generally operate in counties that don't have a bigger city in them.
    The higher paid paramedics generally work through city fire/ambulance services.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IIRC, Shibumiseeker is tied to the EMT training in the Bloomington area somehow but I forget how exactly how. May be worth a pm to him if he doesn't drop by in the next day or so...

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I know Ivy Tech in Indy offers an EMT-B class so I would think that Ivy Tech's down there would offer also. 6 month course if I remember right. You won't get rich being an EMT-B. But its a good place to start.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    EMT-B will start out around $8-9/hr, depending on where you work. You can get certified with a 6 month $600 class.
    EMT-Paramedic is generally a 4 year degree and starts around $12-13/hr

I'd suggest start volunteering at a local fire station and see what you think. Most places don't require EMT training to drive the rig, but you will need to be CPR certified and some basic first aid stuff. At my last department they would reimburse 100% for your EMT-B certificate if you signed a one year contract. Not too shabby for 12-24 hours a week, but its also volunteer.

All the hospitals I've been around will run an ambulance with one Paramedic, and one EMT-B. If it turns out to be an ALS run, the EMT drives. If its a BLS run, the paramedic drives while the EMT-B stays in the back with the patient. We also used 3rds on our trucks at the FD. Most of our 3rds were EMT students or firefighters who wanted to help out a bit more.

I really enjoyed my time on the department, but you have to realize that not every run is a posative one. In 5 years I ran on one cheerleader, and many fatalities. You'll see people at the worst point in their lives, and you cannot let your emotion interfere with the job you are there for.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    If you want to make some serious Jack, get trained and certified as a Welder. I have a distant relative that was 24-25 and tired of low paying jobs. Got trained and 2 years later he is making $35 an hour for all of the hours he wants to work.

Not a "People Job", but regular hours, your home every night and serious money.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    I thought I wanted to be an EMT once. Until I took the class and did the required ride alongs. You would think for a profession that literally saves lives every day, they would make more than a wal mart employee and have decent medical benefits. And, I didn't like going on runs in the hood and not being able to carry a gun.

If you want to, become a firefighter. As far as I know, you have to be EMT-B certified anyways and they get better pay and benefits.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I'm sick of being a janitor.The hours suck,the work is ****ty,the people are annoying,and I feel like I'm spinning my wheels and not doing anything with my life.I want a career where I make a difference,use my brain,and get to help people.I'm thinking about becoming an EMT.I have a few questions first for any current EMTs.

1) How is the pay/benefits?

2) Is it as rewarding as it seems it would be?

3) Are there any schools that I could afford around Bloomington that would accommodate my current 17:30-02:00 work schedule?

4) How hard is finding a job once I finish school?

Pay is not the best. I'll tell you that straight out. If you're in it for the money, don't do it. Typically benefits vary from company to company. One of my jobs offers basically a catastrophic insurance, the other offers 80/20 unless you go to the hospital we offer out of, then it's 90/10.

The job is VERY rewarding. If you're in it to help people and make a difference, do it. The reason I got into it was hoping it would look good on a LE application. Now that I do it, I love it.

I believe there are a few around you. Pelham I've heard mixed reviews about. One of our guys at my job is a Pelham trainee and seems to know his ****. He's planning on going back for their Medic program.

Finding a job is easy, if you're willing to work your way up. I work a transport job full time and a 911/transport job part time. I would only trade it for one job, but I'm happy with it.

Medics make about double what Basics do, but the school is a full time job in itself.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I thought I wanted to be an EMT once. Until I took the class and did the required ride alongs. You would think for a profession that literally saves lives every day, they would make more than a wal mart employee and have decent medical benefits. And, I didn't like going on runs in the hood and not being able to carry a gun.

If you want to, become a firefighter. As far as I know, you have to be EMT-B certified anyways and they get better pay and benefits.

Firefighters are NOT required to be an EMT, they are required to be first responder. Tougher job to get into, except volunteer departments. Most big city departments prefer you to be FF/Paramedic certified. Better pay and benefits? You betcha. Then again, I'm not required to run into a burning building.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Basically if you want anything paying $15/hr+ then you're probably going to need at least an associate's degree. At least in the medical field. Look into OT/A or PT/A. 2 year degree, dayshift hours, M-F, starting pay $16/hr on up

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I'm sick of being a janitor. 3) Are there any schools that I could afford around Bloomington that would accommodate my current 17:30-02:00 work schedule?

Where are you a janitor at? Have you tried to get on at IU if that is where you don't work now? After you get on there, there are numerous other opportunities within the department, though you would likely top out at $15/hour ish for unskilled labor. HVAC, plumbers, carpenters, millwrights, etc. make around $20/hour I believe, but sometimes they want experience.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've been out for over 14 years, but:

1) Pay sucks unless you are also a firefighter.

2) It got real old real fast for me.

I can't address the other two.

Food for thought, with the time investment it takes to become a paramedic, you can also become a nurse. Nurses are in demand, especially male nurses. My ex-wife was a psych nurse (insert jokes here) while we were married and was constantly saying they wanted male nurses in that field. The hours are better, advancement opportunities are better, demand is higher, and you can work your way into supervisory roles and never touch a patient again if that's what you want. Paramedics are paramedics, and there's little you can do to branch out or move up.

Nurses don't get to drive shiny boxes with lights and sirens, but otherwise that's where its at, IMO.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I've been out for over 14 years, but:

1) Pay sucks unless you are also a firefighter.

2) It got real old real fast for me.

I can't address the other two.

Food for thought, with the time investment it takes to become a paramedic, you can also become a nurse. Nurses are in demand, especially male nurses. My ex-wife was a psych nurse (insert jokes here) while we were married and was constantly saying they wanted male nurses in that field. The hours are better, advancement opportunities are better, demand is higher, and you can work your way into supervisory roles and never touch a patient again if that's what you want. Paramedics are paramedics, and there's little you can do to branch out or move up.

Nurses don't get to drive shiny boxes with lights and sirens, but otherwise that's where its at, IMO.

I've never had a problem getting FT/PRN jobs, but I don't think my gender made much of a difference. I could be wrong though.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'll extend an invite... come up to Indy on the east side and do a ride along with our Engine. we do on average 14 runs a day with several different Ambulance crews responding with us.
    Just remember... ALS skills are worthless unless the BLS skills are in place.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    Firefighters are NOT required to be an EMT, they are required to be first responder. Tougher job to get into, except volunteer departments. Most big city departments prefer you to be FF/Paramedic certified. Better pay and benefits? You betcha. Then again, I'm not required to run into a burning building.

I was required to become an EMT as a condition of employment with IFD.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Where are you a janitor at? Have you tried to get on at IU if that is where you don't work now? After you get on there, there are numerous other opportunities within the department, though you would likely top out at $15/hour ish for unskilled labor. HVAC, plumbers, carpenters, millwrights, etc. make around $20/hour I believe, but sometimes they want experience.

I'm a janitor at IU.There are no opportunities here unless you know the right people and kiss the right asses.I've applied to drive trash trucks,be a boiler operator,and other things.Basically once you're a second or third shift custodian,you're stuck.

Top Bottom