• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Hey INGO, I have been telling my wife we should do a car stereo install (or handsfree dock) so we can listen to music/navigation/phone calls through the car stereo. Or at least get a new CD deck with an aux jack so we can use our phones to listen to music.

How much would an install of something like this run us? Any recommendations on where to go? We live in SW Indy. I dont want to spend a fortune just to listen to the music on my phone but have no idea of the cost.

Thanks.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    If you are swapping out the head unit, it isn't that terrible to do yourself if you have a little bit of skills working with wire/electronics and aren't afraid to take the trim around your radio out.

I guess before I said that I should ask what kind of car you have? Some cars can be a pain in the butt but not impossible.

rdbs505

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Whenever I get a new vehicle, upgrading the stereo is among the first things I do. If you are somewhat handy/mechanical you could install the new unit yourself. I don't usually feel comfortable leaving my vehicle to be worked on by someone else, like the guys at best buy for example, but I know they used to offer free installation if you bought a head unit from them.

I have no affiliation with this site, but have used them in the past with success. Car Audio Stereo - Car Subwoofers - Car Amplifiers and Speakers

Haven't bought anything from them in a few years but when I did they seemed to have the best deals/prices for things.

Are you looking for a double din unit like with a screen for navigation, or just something cheaper like a single din that has blue tooth?

What year and model car do you have? The installation of just a head unit isn't really bad at all, you'd likely need a wiring harness, and dash kit, (these are often included for free when you buy a head unit, otherwise they are give or take around $35-40 maybe? The head unit itself depending upon which one you want could range from $90 and up (according to website above) I've installed a few car stereos, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

robh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2013
    Muncie
    installing even a basic cd player on 2000 and up vehicles has gotten way more expensive, everything needs a module now a days, so add $100 to installs just for the wiring harness, plus the cost of a new deck. plus the cost of a mount for vehicles with funky shaped radios

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Its a 2004 envoy.

I dont need anything fancy, just a new cd faceplate with an aux input, and if thr price is ok some bluetooth functionality. Dont need touch screens, or built jn navigation.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Unless things have changed I would only use crutchfield as reference as they used to be high on just about everything. However I haven't installed a new radio in about 7 years, last one was in my 05 F150. Went with a double din touch screen/dvd player and it was the same process as it was in the early to mid 90's when I was in highschool, very simple. I wanted to replace the radio in the wife's 06 accord but I would have needed a whole new dash /radio bezel since the radio faceplate isn't square so she is still rocking the factory radio.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Unless things have changed I would only use crutchfield as reference as they used to be high on just about everything.

True, they are not the "cheapest" option out there, but they also provide the entire install kit (DIY) and phone support for the installation... They are saving you money in the long run & you know what level of work is behind your dash.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    True, they are not the "cheapest" option out there, but they also provide the entire install kit (DIY) and phone support for the installation... They are saving you money in the long run & you know what level of work is behind your dash.

I'm on this page,

Not the "cheapest" but with all the products they offer they are the best Value, I have done installs on my wifes car and done the prep work in the workshop and then went out and put a new system in her car for christmas present in freezing weather. Took about 35 minutes to change out the stereo in a chevy Lumina,

The instructions were worth more than the cost of the stereo because they were very good and real, none of this " on most cars do x"

rdbs505

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Its a 2004 envoy.

I dont need anything fancy, just a new cd faceplate with an aux input, and if thr price is ok some bluetooth functionality. Dont need touch screens, or built jn navigation.

Crutchfield has great customer service, but is over priced. Maybe you'd consider something like this?

Shop Pioneer MVH-X360BT Digital Media Bluetooth Receiver

Also comes with free installation accessories. I've used Pioneer products quite a bit and they have always been great. Kenwood, Alpine are also good as well as others.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I put a new head unit in my truck earlier this year. It was the first time I'd messed with car audio since high school. Looked difficult but it really wasn't too bad and I had to cut the dash supports to get a double din into a single din slot. Harnesses aren't necessarily required but they're well worth the money.

e84643b1-a3f7-4a0e-aad3-17d94abb6a3c_zps25403b01.jpg

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Just FYI, if you are not experienced with 12V car audio, a 2004 Envoy is not a DIY project.

I have used both Crutchfield and SonicElectronix, both include required install accessories (as long as they are around $15), and have given me good customer service.

You will notice a difference in audio quality, but I would suggest an "FM Modulator"....cheap and straight forward with no wiring.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Just FYI, if you are not experienced with 12V car audio, a 2004 Envoy is not a DIY project.

I have used both Crutchfield and SonicElectronix, both include required install accessories (as long as they are around $15), and have given me good customer service.

You will notice a difference in audio quality, but I would suggest an "FM Modulator"....cheap and straight forward with no wiring.

I am not experienced with ANY car audio.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    If all you want to do is play music from your phone or iPod,you can buy a little over the air unit that plugs in and plays over the radio. Had one a few years ago and for around $10 it worked for what I wanted. Or there's always a Mr Microphone.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    If all you want to do is play music from your phone or iPod,you can buy a little over the air unit that plugs in and plays over the radio. Had one a few years ago and for around $10 it worked for what I wanted. Or there's always a Mr Microphone.

Ive tried FM transmitters and didnt like the sound quality I wanted.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You can get a quality Bluetooth or wired speaker at little to massive expense and accomplish the same outcome without the hassle if all you really want is to play music off the phone/iPod device. Plus once you get to the destination you can take the speaker with you and enjoy out of the car.

The klipsch KMC3 normally goes for 399.00 but a friend got one on woot.com rebuild for cheap. Nice but it has a 120 volt power cable to charge. Most cars now come with a 120 volt power plug. That speaker rocks. Good base 65 watts rms good treble and vocals. Not bad for 2 inch speakers. Would do the minimum you are asking and still have a great
    portable speaker for house/hotel/picnic/garage. I would not buy the klipsch gig speaker lots of bass but no mid range for vocals.

If shopping for a head end look to alpine/Sherwood/Kenwood but then you are going to want to upgrade the speakers then add an amp and soon you got a ton of cash involved. The fm mod's don't work well.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Buy from crutchfield and install yourself, you won't regret it.

Also as to FM transmitters, I've tried a few and all of them were just awful. The sound was never clear and just got worse as I drove around and radio stations encroached on whatever frequency it was set on. That said I always tried to get away with the cheap FM transmitters.

Top Bottom