• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Ratcheting straps and/or some kind of chain and binder.

You'd be surprised what all you can secure with these and limp along to a better location.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Been eyeballing this one. Stanley 'FatMax' 700-Amp Peak Jump Starter with Compressor #J7CS - Walmart.com
    I usually avoid walmart like the plague, but for 60 bucks? Might be worth testing it out.

My tires are big and would take at least a case of fix-a-flat. I like where youre goin though. Maybe a plug kit plus the item above?

I have the that version without the compressor on it. I tried using it this morning (01/14/15) about 0400 to jump a 2005 Dodge Caravan with no luck. I'd look into a high amperage, I know I'm going to.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    So I went out and bought one of those Stanley Fatmax jump packs to try out. Stanley 'FatMax' 700-Amp Peak Jump Starter with Compressor #J7CS - Walmart.com

I used it to jump start my '90 prelude that's been sitting for months, deader than a door nail. It started right up. It seemed to struggle a bit to turn the engine, but it did work. I suppose that's normal considering its just straight battery power not being charged by an alternator like jumper cables. I also used the compressor to fill a trailer tire and it worked good too, but of course took longer than the garage compressor. So far, I think it will be just fine in a pinch, and certainly better than nothing. I will continue to test it out on general tasks as they come up, and will update if I encounter any issues. -RS

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    This is strictly automotive, middle of nowhere, roadside repair stuff in addition to my normal edc and medical stuff. So what sort of breakdown kit do you guys have? Anything I should add? Well, there's always stuff to add. Whaddya think?

What level of skill do you have, take no offense to this but your post makes me wonder if giving you a list of tools would be useful.

Things like:
    a real jack (for space a piston jack is nice)
    fix a flat (tire repair kit if you know how to use it also)
    fluids all kinds
    spare tire (full size if you can swing it)
    A good flashlight last i had a flight it was at 1am and -10degress
    a tarp
    a 4 way tire iron (make sure it fits your car)
    jumper cables
    tow strap

If you are capable of road side repairs some basic tools can fix almost anything fixable on a car. I would suggest:

A nice universal socket set and make sure it has the sockets your car requires.
    They will look like Craftsman Universal Socket Accessories: Convenient Tools at Sears

Wrenches a nice set your car uses i suggest normal and flex ratchet wrenches
    They will look like Craftsman 10-piece Locking Flex Ratcheting Wrench Set Inch/Metric - Tools - Hand Tools - Wrenches - Combination Wrenches & Sets

Basic screwdriver set some cheapo stanley's will do.

All that and more (besides the tire) fits inside a mail tote which is like a milk crate but slightly larger rectangle.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I usually carry a few things with me at all times. A multi-screwdriver, pliers, and a socket set. I also carry a 30' recovery strap and attachment adapters to hook onto other vehicles.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    What level of skill do you have, take no offense to this but your post makes me wonder if giving you a list of tools would be useful.

Things like:
    a real jack (for space a piston jack is nice)
    fix a flat (tire repair kit if you know how to use it also)
    fluids all kinds
    spare tire (full size if you can swing it)
    A good flashlight last i had a flight it was at 1am and -10degress
    a tarp
    a 4 way tire iron (make sure it fits your car)
    jumper cables
    tow strap

If you are capable of road side repairs some basic tools can fix almost anything fixable on a car. I would suggest:

A nice universal socket set and make sure it has the sockets your car requires.
    They will look like Craftsman Universal Socket Accessories: Convenient Tools at Sears

Wrenches a nice set your car uses i suggest normal and flex ratchet wrenches
    They will look like Craftsman 10-piece Locking Flex Ratcheting Wrench Set Inch/Metric - Tools - Hand Tools - Wrenches - Combination Wrenches & Sets

Basic screwdriver set some cheapo stanley's will do.

All that and more (besides the tire) fits inside a mail tote which is like a milk crate but slightly larger rectangle.

No offense at all! My skill level is above average I'd say. I do most of my own work that is within my capabilities, oil, brake jobs, electrical issues, shocks, tie rods, ball joints, etc. I'm sure you get the idea. Stuff I encountered over the years that I didn't know how to do, I sought knowledge on for next time.

In my original post I listed the stuff I currently carry in my breakdown kit. The intention was to put out my list, get some more ideas, maybe get a few others to pop their trunk and add a few handy items they hadn't thought of. So, its turning out to be a pretty decent post! Thanks for your ideas!

RS

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    We just got our AAA Platinum cards. At this point, I just keep a small car kit and my survival supplies in the car. I can change a flat tire, get a jump - if needed - and replace a fuse. After that, AAA will tow me 200 miles and the survival kit will keep me sheltered until they get there.

Oh, yeah: I also keep three flashlights in the car, including a good headlamp (always helpful when you're changing that tire or replacing that fuse at night.)

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You should add a tow strap.
    +1 and #1. Next to mine you will find cans of fix a flat and a 12 volt air pump.

The strongest tool in your vehicle is your engine. Last year I used a tow strap 3 times just to get to work or home by moving trees with it. I extracted the GF twice from snow filled ditches. I bet most people even in this thread do not have a tow strap. Don't assume a typical SUV 4wd grocery getter has one either so when they stop to look at you, they can't help you. I have even used on in summer to extract tourists on Ocracoke island who got their rental car stuck in drifting sand. Also, know exactly where and how to connect to your vehicle and test it ahead of time. If not, you will be miserable trying to figure it out in the dark, rain or snow. I live in a rural area so an accident can mean going awhile with no help help coming along and a long hike to get a cell signal.

Back in 82 I bought an 81 C10 that would stick in 1st gear. By accident I found out how handy a heavy duty casualty blanket is on pavement or cement, especially pavement on days with temps 90 and above. The blankets also slide nicely when under you so it makes it a bit easier to slide around under a vehicle on hot, oily pavement. Multipurpose too, can make a shelter with them or wrap up in them.

in the old days I carried spare hoses and fan belts. These days when I swap the belt out I toss the used one in the kit. I have not broke one in decades BUT one time I had to wait almost a full week for one to be flown in to the remote area we were fishing so one is none when it comes to belts.

Last edited:

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I've seen a couple people mention "tow strap" in their kit. I wanted to point out there is a difference in a "tow" strap vs. "recovery" strap. Tow straps are designed to tow, not pull vehicles out of ditches. Recovery straps are designed to yank a car out, as they have some give to them. I would recommend get a longer strap than you think you'll need, it can always be doubled up. :twocents:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What a good point to secure a tow/recovery strap to the front end of a truck that doesn't have hooks (like it's supposed to have if it were a real truck)?

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    What a good point to secure a tow/recovery strap to the front end of a truck that doesn't have hooks (like it's supposed to have if it were a real truck)?

I use a hook and attach to the frame. There is usually a hook point near the front, behind the bumper.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Ask BigCraig where to hook up on your truck. He kinda knows that crap.

Good point on recovery strap versus tow strap. I keep both and use the tow strap to extend my reach if needed. The tow strap is better for dragging logs or other items, with or without chains. I keep chains,marine grade rope, extra ratchet tie downs and bungees in a square cat sand bucket. Clevis or two as well. I have a split in the bottom of the bucket so it won't accumulate water. Toss bucket in when needed. Bucket lid keeps it all dry, every now and then chains get a coat of primer.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ask BigCraig where to hook up on your truck. He kinda knows that crap.

Good point on recovery strap versus tow strap. I keep both and use the tow strap to extend my reach if needed. The tow strap is better for dragging logs or other items, with or without chains. I keep chains,marine grade rope, extra ratchet tie downs and bungees in a square cat sand bucket. Clevis or two as well. I have a split in the bottom of the bucket so it won't accumulate water. Toss bucket in when needed. Bucket lid keeps it all dry, every now and then chains get a coat of primer.

Indeed.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Been eyeballing this one. Stanley 'FatMax' 700-Amp Peak Jump Starter with Compressor #J7CS - Walmart.com
    I usually avoid walmart like the plague, but for 60 bucks? Might be worth testing it out.

My tires are big and would take at least a case of fix-a-flat. I like where youre goin though. Maybe a plug kit plus the item above?

So I went out and bought one of those Stanley Fatmax jump packs to try out. Stanley 'FatMax' 700-Amp Peak Jump Starter with Compressor #J7CS - Walmart.com

I used it to jump start my '90 prelude that's been sitting for months, deader than a door nail. It started right up. It seemed to struggle a bit to turn the engine, but it did work. I suppose that's normal considering its just straight battery power not being charged by an alternator like jumper cables. I also used the compressor to fill a trailer tire and it worked good too, but of course took longer than the garage compressor. So far, I think it will be just fine in a pinch, and certainly better than nothing. I will continue to test it out on general tasks as they come up, and will update if I encounter any issues. -RS

I got one of these for Christmas... Whistler 'Jump and Go' Portable Automotive Jump Starter & Charger, Red - Walmart.com As I recently picked up an additional vehicle. Got a chance to test it when I ran into someone right after first of the year who had left their lights on for a while and it was about 9 degrees out. Guy gave me a strange look when I hooked it up, but it started his truck.

Like you, it did not spin the engine fast, but since it wasn't my vehicle I don't know how quick it would normally turned over.

I will still probably add a set of jumper cables (like I have in the other vehicles), but the benefit of one of these is, you can try and start the vehicle if no one else is available to assist.

I also have a AAA membership, but used to carry a tool box around in my old truck, and have started to put together a few things for the additional vehicle as well.

Some good ideas in this thread.

Top Bottom