• ...and so much more!
  • GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Thanks! Probably one of the points where they secure it during shipment on the car carrier?

Yes, you must exercise caution using these points. On your truck, I wouldn't worry much, if hooking to another car (read unibody) these points can "tear."

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    To all who suggested a tow strap: THANK YOU! I've been needing one for some time, so since you guys put that thought in my head, I went and got one from TSC 3 days ago.

Today, I was out running errands and playing on the snow covered roads of Porter County. Thought I'd make some room for an oncoming lady in a minivan when the ditch sucked me right in! Less than a minute later, a couple guys in a red GMC came to my rescue. Needless to say, my new recovery strap just paid for itself.

Not sure if the guys were INGO members, but if you were the dudes in the Red GMC who pulled out one ridiculously and embarassingly stuck Hummer H3, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    ...Blankets, head cover, food, water, several types of gloves, hand warmer packs, a tyvek suit (no reason to dirty my nice clothes), duct tape, a full metric socket set, multiple screwdrivers, box cutter knife...
    Arrested a guy who was going to kidnap his soon to be ex-wife and take her for a drive in the country..... I think he had the same kit, sans the food and water

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    To all who suggested a tow strap: THANK YOU! I've been needing one for some time, so since you guys put that thought in my head, I went and got one from TSC 3 days ago.

Today, I was out running errands and playing on the snow covered roads of Porter County. Thought I'd make some room for an oncoming lady in a minivan when the ditch sucked me right in! Less than a minute later, a couple guys in a red GMC came to my rescue. Needless to say, my new recovery strap just paid for itself.

Not sure if the guys were INGO members, but if you were the dudes in the Red GMC who pulled out one ridiculously and embarassingly stuck Hummer H3, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

DUDE!!!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thats what I'm sayin! Been driving this rig for 5 years of NWI winters and this is the first time I've ever been stuck in snow. Granted, it took 2 feet of snow, and a 4 foot deep ditch to take me down, but still. It's embarassing.

I'll try not to judge!

(I get stuck all the time in my 2WD Silverado)

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Thats what I'm sayin! Been driving this rig for 5 years of NWI winters and this is the first time I've ever been stuck in snow. Granted, it took 2 feet of snow, and a 4 foot deep ditch to take me down, but still. It's embarassing.
    No, that's not embarrassing. I executed the perfect "now that's embarrassing, I seem to be stuck" maneuver 2 years ago this month. Yes, we used my straps to extract my truck when someone stopped to help me. He had a 250 gallon water cube in the back of his truck so he had plenty of traction.

when I first exited my truck, it was reminiscent of Gus Grissom screwing the pooch on the space capsule. I had to open the door "up" before I could climb out.

Last edited:

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    Nawww..... this is embarassing. I almost slid my grader into 10 feet of water while repairing a road through a flooded slough.... Took more than a tow strap, that's for certain. hee-hee
    View attachment 35393

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Nawww..... this is embarassing. I almost slid my grader into 10 feet of water while repairing a road through a flooded slough.... Took more than a tow strap, that's for certain. hee-hee
    View attachment 35393
    oh geez, that reminded me, after my above incident we went to eat dinner at a bar whose owner I wanted to meet and talk to about the area. While there one of the snowmobilers told a story about a bulldozer going through the ice in deep water and how they got it out!

i left one thing out on mine, at the time I was explaining to my GF how to drive in really deep snow. We were out looking at a farm we were considering renting. Pretty much told her all about ABC and then D happened in real time. All I said was "and that's why I put all that gear in the truck before we left to come up here." Epic timing.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    We need a topic for epic "I got stuck" stories. I've probably been stuck more often than most.
    but each story must come with an explanation of how it was resolved or a lesson learned. If anyone starts a "Thanksgiving and black powder" thread I got a great one.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, in addition to the 'roadside survival' stuff like extra blankets, gloves, first aid, a separate bag is kept with jumper cables, hand tools (pliers, etc.) a can of 'fix-a-flat', a set of tire plugs with reamers & glue, handheld tire pressure gauge, and a portable compressor w/ gauge.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    Well, in addition to the 'roadside survival' stuff like extra blankets, gloves, first aid, a separate bag is kept with jumper cables, hand tools (pliers, etc.) a can of 'fix-a-flat', a set of tire plugs with reamers & glue, handheld tire pressure gauge, and a portable compressor w/ gauge.
    Good thing I got a CrewCab Diesel Dooley..... need it to carry all that stuff ;)

Top Bottom