• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have known Mas for years, both from having taken his courses and helping run ranges for him and he has always said a gun you can hit with that holds 5 rounds is better than a gun you miss with that holds more. Carry what you can shoot well and carry spare ammo for it.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    17+1 in the pistol and 2x17 here... And I practice. But never enough. I'd be better served by some serious training, like force-on-force, I think.

benjaminlee06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Downtown Indy
    Excellent article. The conversation never stops and you never know if someone is new to carrying, so having a clear and reasonable contribution from someone as qualified as Mas doesn't hurt. Thanks for sharing.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yes, sir, I understand. Let me rephrase. All things being equal, why wouldn't you carry a spare mag or speed loader, if you could? I fully understand that it is not always possible. I can't carry at all when at work.

No reason at all. I carry a spare mag because reasons. It's just that it's rare for all things being equal to actually be equal.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I feel just fine with my 9 rounds of .45ACP personally, but I also know under stress I will connect with my rounds aswell. That being said I think my next gun will be a Sig Legion series 229 for 16 rounds of 9MM on tap.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Since I've never aspired to be a writer, none. Not sure what your point is, I'm sure Mas himself is well aware he's recycling tired story lines because there isn't anything really new to discuss at a monthly interval.

You should rethink the writing gig.

Youve got at least one novel and a scholarly tome in you.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Excellent article. The conversation never stops and you never know if someone is new to carrying, so having a clear and reasonable contribution from someone as qualified as Mas doesn't hurt. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah well, some folks didn't appreciate it.

Since we are not sworn we don't need so many boolits.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yeah well, some folks didn't appreciate it.

Since we are not sworn we don't need so many boolits.

Not just sworn. If you really want to join the "needs more bullets" crowd, testify against a gang member, date a psycho, deal dope on the corner, etc. Targeted violence can certainly up the round count and increase the distances.

In all seriousness, I've come to believe that the best set up is 2 guns. Eliminate the concept of backup gun, instead focus on alternate primaries depending on the situation, and let the strengths of one help overcome the weaknesses of the other. For example, appendix carry is great in some situations but is real tough to disguise a draw stroke when under direct observation. Paired with pocket carry of a smaller gun, you have a lot more options then either alone. I also accept that very few people routinely carry one gun, let alone two, and must deal with the trade offs that implies. The focus on capacity as opposed to speed of employment and the ability to disguise the draw stroke is focusing on the areas that seldom matter in random violence encounters at the expense of the factors that matter most often.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    In most self-defense situations (not LE type shootouts with bad guys), the median is less than 3 shots fired. According to the research, when more than 2 are fired, it's typically the defender emptying their gun at their assailant.

Analysis of Five Years of Armed Encounters (With Data Tables)

If you want to carry lots of ammo, by all means do. As long as you are comfortable lugging all that around, it's no problem. But, in the vast majority of cases, it isn't necessary.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Interesting take-away, and maybe not invalid...there is a lot of drivel out there. But I have to ask, given the convenient anonymity of the internet that allows you to say whatever you wish about whomever you wish:

How many offers have you turned down to go be a writer yourself?

-Nate

I'm a fan of Mas, but have to admit that when I got to the end of this article, thought that it really did not say anything. It does sound like he had to submit something and was just rambling a bit about capacity. Everyone knows that an article about capacity will sell, even if it doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    In most self-defense situations (not LE type shootouts with bad guys), the median is less than 3 shots fired. According to the research, when more than 2 are fired, it's typically the defender emptying their gun at their assailant.

If you want to carry lots of ammo, by all means do. As long as you are comfortable lugging all that around, it's no problem. But, in the vast majority of cases, it isn't necessary.

I whole-heartedly agree that having all the ammo probably won't be necessary.

But having the extra ammunition holder available should the #1 have an issue is why I carry "all that ammo".

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010

You can carry only three rounds because that is what the statistics say is all that will likely be fired. But to get to that three round count someone had to shoot a few more rounds. I do not recall anyone being involved in a shooting cursing themselves for carrying too much ammo. I could carry 46 rounds but only carry 45 out of convenience of reloading after a match, range time, or a cleaning. That first round in the chamber is, to me, a little too much bother to load, remove the mag, put in the extra round and reinsert the mag. But that's just me.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I don't think anyone is REALLY saying to NOT carry as much as you want.

I DO think some folks are saying that those of us that carry a bit LESS should be (statistically) perfectly fine. Might even have a few rounds left.

No reason to frown at revolver-carriers, or single-stack compacts. And no reason to frown at those with extended double-stack mags, with two more on their belt.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I don't think anyone is REALLY saying to NOT carry as much as you want.

I DO think some folks are saying that those of us that carry a bit LESS should be (statistically) perfectly fine. Might even have a few rounds left.

No reason to frown at revolver-carriers, or single-stack compacts. And no reason to frown at those with extended double-stack mags, with two more on their belt.

Exactly.

Top Bottom