• ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Good and right to the point.
    The limited time I did carry my 642 I always carried two speedloaders.
    Now it's a G 19 with two spare mags. Hope that will be enough if the situation arises.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There seems to be an unwritten law on the gun-related Internet saying, “If you carry less than I do, you’re a pathetic ‘sheeple,’ and if you carry more than I do, you’re a paranoid mall ninja.” Forgive me if I can’t buy into either of those attitudes.
    \

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    For a while I carried a revolver and then a subcompact, I decided to step up to a larger capacity as my main carry. This days a carry a G19 most of the time with a spare mag but I have decided to add a G42 as a back up.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yep, Mas is the man.
    One of those guys I've been reading whenever I find one of his articles for the last thirty years or so.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The dangers of being a gun article writer. You have to have something to say every time an article is due, and there isn't that much to say. Look, another spin on "is your j-frame enough?"

Including Hanlon is laughable. Yeah, capacity is what the issue was at the Dade shootout. If only he'd had a high capacity 9mm. Oh, right, 3 of the agents did and the 9mm hits were insufficient to stop the bad guys which lead to the 10mm bla bla bla. Might as well blame that CF on insufficient caliber. Oh, right, that's what the FBI did. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

Anyhoo...yeah. Carry whatever you shoot best and can carry. LE stats are irrelevant to you if you aren't LE. Targeted violence stats are irrelevant to you if you aren't being targeted. There will ALWAYS be someone who needed a different gun if you cull through decades of data nationwide...but you should really me more interested in the most common problems, not the least.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I carry what I carry for my own reasons, based on my own risk assessment.

But, a little help decoding this:
    1911 1 in tube,
    Ok, I understand this. A round chambered and full mag. That's actually they way I carry mostly, although a double stack 9mm for a total of 16.

3-8 round mags
    Got it.

and bug with 2 in tube
    Ok, lost me here - unless your backup gun is a double barrel shotgun. :D

[Edit: dammit, need more coffee this morning. The BUG is a 2 shot derringer, eh?] :D

Paranoid.
    Hey - real bad things happen to paranoid people sometimes, too.

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The dangers of being a gun article writer. You have to have something to say every time an article is due, and there isn't that much to say. Look, another spin on "is your j-frame enough?"

Interesting take-away, and maybe not invalid...there is a lot of drivel out there. But I have to ask, given the convenient anonymity of the internet that allows you to say whatever you wish about whomever you wish:

How many offers have you turned down to go be a writer yourself?

-Nate

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I think it boils down to "why wouldn't you carry more?" I generally carry at 16+1 with a 19 backup. As always, I pray I never even need one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Interesting take-away, and maybe not invalid...there is a lot of drivel out there. But I have to ask, given the convenient anonymity of the internet that allows you to say whatever you wish about whomever you wish:

How many offers have you turned down to go be a writer yourself?

-Nate

Since I've never aspired to be a writer, none. Not sure what your point is, I'm sure Mas himself is well aware he's recycling tired story lines because there isn't anything really new to discuss at a monthly interval.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think it boils down to "why wouldn't you carry more?" I generally carry at 16+1 with a 19 backup. As always, I pray I never even need one.

So why don't you carry more?

Some of us have the luxury of carrying larger, higher capacity guns. Some of us work in places we'd be fired if discovered to be carrying and with dress codes or physical activity that makes concealment more challenging. Women's fashion in particular is challenging for concealed carry without resorting to off body/purse carry. There are also distinct advantages to a small gun that is pocket carried when it comes to street robberies.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I suppose my point was that despite your comment, and certainly the reality that there are a lot of recycled stories in 'modern' gun rags, Massad presented some valid points and DID reach some new audience (the audience is ever-growing, ever-changing, dontchaknow?).

If you want to get philosophical about it, likely as not, there is never anything truly new to discuss. But since we live for a finite amount of time, and most of us stay interested in any one topic for a likewise-finite amount of time, the forum/rag/gunshop is conveniently (for their survival anyway...) presented a new audience all the time.

Your previous post sounds mostly like you were complaining about how Mas interpreted things differently than you would have if you were the one in his shoes (but your points--no matter their validity--still didn't disagree with the main tenet of his article), and/or that you are complaining about being one of those of us that think we have read all we can ever learn from a gun writer.

Sorry if that interpretation is incorrect, but that's how it comes across.

-Nate

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I suppose my point was that despite your comment, and certainly the reality that there are a lot of recycled stories in 'modern' gun rags, Massad presented some valid points and DID reach some new audience (the audience is ever-growing, ever-changing, dontchaknow?).

If you want to get philosophical about it, likely as not, there is never anything truly new to discuss. But since we live for a finite amount of time, and most of us stay interested in any one topic for a likewise-finite amount of time, the forum/rag/gunshop is conveniently (for their survival anyway...) presented a new audience all the time.

Your previous post sounds mostly like you were complaining about how Mas interpreted things differently than you would have if you were the one in his shoes (but your points--no matter their validity--still didn't disagree with the main tenet of his article), and/or that you are complaining about being one of those of us that think we have read all we can ever learn from a gun writer.

Sorry if that interpretation is incorrect, but that's how it comes across.

-Nate

Mas is an all around swell guy and has a lot of knowledge to share. That said, the inclusion of Hanlon in an article about capacity was ridiculous. If you know about the Dade shootout, you know why. If you don't, read up on it.

And you are right. There is seldom anything new to discuss other than why you should spend money on this newest gun and recycling the "is the 1911 dead? Glock vs 1911, is your f-frame enough" articles. Which is why I quit reading gun mags a long time ago.
    I

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    So why don't you carry more?

Some of us have the luxury of carrying larger, higher capacity guns. Some of us work in places we'd be fired if discovered to be carrying and with dress codes or physical activity that makes concealment more challenging. Women's fashion in particular is challenging for concealed carry without resorting to off body/purse carry. There are also distinct advantages to a small gun that is pocket carried when it comes to street robberies.

Yes, sir, I understand. Let me rephrase. All things being equal, why wouldn't you carry a spare mag or speed loader, if you could? I fully understand that it is not always possible. I can't carry at all when at work.

Top Bottom