• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    They could mandate you use 'house' ammunition.

Yeah, that'll go over about as well as a lead balloon. The morons who are going to sneak the AP ammo in through the magnets are going to sneak it in past the House Ammo rule. I really don't see any great way to prevent this from happening besides not allowing any rifles ammo at all.

dhsieh911018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    maybe assign range officers? and check the ammo whenever a new mag is filled and ready to fire. One officer per room, maybe another officer to take care of individual lane. the room officer look for offenses and the individual officer check ammo.

navy4422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Lafayette
    maybe assign range officers? and check the ammo whenever a new mag is filled and ready to fire. One officer per room, maybe another officer to take care of individual lane. the room officer look for offenses and the individual officer check ammo.

He mentioned that and said he couldn't afford to pay the extra employees

My best idea is two cameras one watching the shooters and one watching the backstop, its fairly cheap and would catch anyone

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    My best idea is two cameras one watching the shooters and one watching the backstop, its fairly cheap and would catch anyone
    The type of person that would knowingly do damage, isn't the type you're likely to collect a judgement from in court.

That said, prevention is the best course of action and not reaction.

As far as 'sneaking them past the magnets' what is being referred to here?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Roby's is an indoor range using the shredded rubber type of bullet catch system. If you remember on the news a few months back some jerk burned down the Dallas Gun club shooting tracer rounds into that big pile of shredded rubber. I hope Roby can keep the idiots weeded out.

yournamehere

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    state ranges are good options
    If you go to JP I have ran into billy bob hillbillies who are dangerous as hell. Plus the home boys from lake county come down to try out the gats sidewayz style. I have had people let rounds go when I was getting ready to walk down with no idea of what safe gun handling is. BUT they are decent facilities.

dhsieh911018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    He mentioned that and said he couldn't afford to pay the extra employees

well did he calculate the difference between the profit he makes with allowing high power rifle(rental, ammo selling for rental, people who shoot their own high power rifle...etc) and the money he would have to invest in new employees? if it adds up to a positive profit, then he should do it.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Some ranges have steel targets and inevitably some assclown burns holes thru expensive steel and thinks it is cool. :xmad:
    It's always the idiots that ruin it for everybody else - look at any system in this country that's been ruined and you can pretty much bet it's a minority of stupid people that caused it.

Edit: These days it may be a majority of stupid people... I don't think smart people are the majority anymore.

navy4422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Lafayette
    The type of person that would knowingly do damage, isn't the type you're likely to collect a judgement from in court.

That said, prevention is the best course of action and not reaction.

As far as 'sneaking them past the magnets' what is being referred to here?

They suspected that the person doing this wasn't doing it intentionally per say but that with ammo prices theyd shoot the surplus ammo thinking that they could save a buck and sneaking it in wouldnt be hard all I had to do was open the top of my ammo can and they picked up a round and tested.... I had 840 rounds in the can after the first layer it would be impossible to tell also slipping 3 or 4 mags of the surplus into your case or hidden on your person doesn't take much.

To my first scenario checking each round would be extremely time consuming and if you have 5 people in line it would just take for ever at 500 rounds per person. Making them use range ammo works but doesn't fix the second part I could spend 30$ on their ammo and shoot 40 rounds but I could sneak in more ammo. My ar case has so many pockets I sometimes go through it and find a new pocket.

The only way to prevent well enough is to have the range officers but that wasn't an option due to price unless a deal could be worked out (ie free membership to volunteer range officers or something like that and have a few days a week that rifles are open, only Saturdays or something like that)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    They suspected that the person doing this wasn't doing it intentionally per say but that with ammo prices theyd shoot the surplus ammo thinking that they could save a buck and sneaking it in wouldnt be hard all I had to do was open the top of my ammo can and they picked up a round and tested.... I had 840 rounds in the can after the first layer it would be impossible to tell also slipping 3 or 4 mags of the surplus into your case or hidden on your person doesn't take much.
    Ok, that makes sense - I've never had my ammo 'tested' but then again, I'm new to AR-15's.

To my first scenario checking each round would be extremely time consuming and if you have 5 people in line it would just take for ever at 500 rounds per person. Making them use range ammo works but doesn't fix the second part I could spend 30$ on their ammo and shoot 40 rounds but I could sneak in more ammo. My ar case has so many pockets I sometimes go through it and find a new pocket.
    Understandable.

The only way to prevent well enough is to have the range officers but that wasn't an option due to price unless a deal could be worked out (ie free membership to volunteer range officers or something like that and have a few days a week that rifles are open, only Saturdays or something like that)
    Even still - it's possible damage would be done... Say you have an RSO and he's at the other end of the range when you slip that mag out of your pocket, jam it into your AR, and fire off some rounds...

It only takes seconds to do thousands of dollars worth of damage.

navy4422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Lafayette
    Even still - it's possible damage would be done... Say you have an RSO and he's at the other end of the range when you slip that mag out of your pocket, jam it into your AR, and fire off some rounds...

It only takes seconds to do thousands of dollars worth of damage.

Agreed, Maybe they just will have everyone strip down to their skivvies and only allow the firearm to be brought into the range where they sell you the house ammo that will fix it for sure

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I often do various maintenance type chores around the range, as well as teaching First-Shots classes and NRA courses there, which gives me a little more access to the "working" parts of the business than most enjoy.

I've seen the damage to the traps. One trap in particular is shot through. There is only one or two .223-size holes directly through the back of the trap, but there's nothing behind that except the steel building. As it stands that one lane is pretty much out of order.

It would be easy enough to weld a plate across the holes, but there's no access to the interior of the trap, therefore no chance to smooth down the damage.

It would likely cost as much or more to repair as replace.

Top Bottom