Not open for further replies.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Thanks for clarifying that Shooter.

I was hoping there wasn't a double standard.. and there isn't.

You're welcome. There is not a double-standard WRT the Mods and site rules, and there never has been.

I should also state FTR that vulgar or inappropriate uses of words that may not be in the filter for whatever reason will still get censored, and warnings/infractions will be handed out.

The rules really aren't that hard to follow, if you use Fenway's previously stated goal of maintaining a family-friendly atmosphere as your guideline when choosing your words. Is it really that difficult to express yourself without resorting to vulgarity? :dunno:

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Then what would be the point of having it? :dunno:

To allow those with fragile linguistic sensibilities to block content they'd rather not see, while allowing the rest of the member to express themselves with PG-13 language, maybe? Win-win for everyone. :yesway:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    We're not trying to protect people with fragile sensibilities. We're trying to project a family-friendly image for INGO and for gun owners, and not a site filled with garbage-mouthed "gun-totin' rednecks". It sounds like you're missing the point of having a filter. You need to read Fenway's comments on the matter:

Language

I want a family friendly forum. I feel that we have an obligation as Hoosier Gun Owners to present the best image possible. I'm not sure if many are aware of the kind of traffic we get here at INGO but we have people from around the State and around the world checking our community out daily. Keep in mind not all of these people are gun owners or even gun friendly. I want this to be the kind of site where a mother or father can browse with the next generation of Hoosier Gun Owners and not have to worry about the content they see here. I want someone who is not comfortable with firearms or maybe even a little scared of them to come here and feel at home. F bombs, inappropriate material, members fighting with one another etc is not what I want and can turn people off to this site or worst case scenario... turn newbies off to firearms in general. Let's try to take the high road and treat each other with respect. I realize most of the other gun boards on the web do not have language restrictions like we do here. We are not like other gun boards and I have a different vision. I ask that you watch your language on this board and keep content clean.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    We're not trying to protect people with fragile sensibilities. We're trying to project a family-friendly image for INGO and for gun owners, and not a site filled with garbage-mouthed "gun-totin' rednecks". It sounds like you're missing the point of having a filter. You need to read Fenway's comments on the matter:

So PG-13 used to fit in that goal, but not anymore, but will again when the children learn to behave themselves?

C'mon now. That's just silly.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So PG-13 used to fit in that goal, but not anymore, but will again when the children learn to behave themselves?

*shrug* Don't know what else to tell you. There's always arfcom if you want to quench your need to use profanity.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    *shrug* Don't know what else to tell you. There's always arfcom if you want to quench your need to use profanity.

:rolleyes:

because PG-13 is like a bunch of drunken sailors with all the profanity.

PG-13 was fine in the past, and I've been told it will revert back to that in the future, but in the meantime it'll present an image of foul-mouth gun-totin rednecks?

Please explain how that makes any sense, because I'm just not seeing it.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008

Users proved they could not control themselves. We added controls. Users asked for more controls (filter). We added them. Now users are upset at controls. They are here only because (1) users could not control themselves, and (2) users actually asked for automation to help them with their inability to remember to control themselves.

This is about Indiana gun owners, not about you or any one user who wants to use language they have been asked not to use. If you cannot conform to the standard, then maybe Arfcom is where you need to post.

To allow those with fragile linguistic sensibilities to block content they'd rather not see, while allowing the rest of the member to express themselves with PG-13 language, maybe? Win-win for everyone.

Look, it is this simple, you go over to a buddy's house and he says, "Don't cuss here, I got a wife and kids." And then you say, "Well send them in the other room!". That is the definition of silly.

We had hopes of getting a base line and working back up from there to some place where we could be family friendly but have room for looser talk. Every day posters kill that hope with lack of control and an unwillingness to help us help you.

It is beyond frustrating.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    :rolleyes:

because PG-13 is like a bunch of drunken sailors with all the profanity.

PG-13 was fine in the past, and I've been told it will revert back to that in the future, but in the meantime it'll present an image of foul-mouth gun-totin rednecks?

Please explain how that makes any sense, because I'm just not seeing it.

Once again, I'm just gonna shrug at you and point you to one of the dozen or so complaint threads on this subject from the last month or so. Times have changed. You can stay and adapt, or you can leave.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Once again, I'm just gonna shrug at you and point you to one of the dozen or so complaint threads on this subject from the last month or so. Times have changed. You can stay and adapt, or you can leave.

The complaint threads that get locked because no one can offer a rational, logical response on this point? :):

All I'm asking for are clear, consistent rules. Not fuzzy guidelines that change on random whims. I'm not asking for a go-ahead to drop George Carlins 7 Dirty words. Just a clear, consistent rule. That's it. Is that really asking too much?

Look, it is this simple, you go over to a buddy's house and he says, "Don't cuss here, I got a wife and kids." And then you say, "Well send them in the other room!". That is the definition of silly.

We had hopes of getting a base line and working back up from there to some place where we could be family friendly but have room for looser talk. Every day posters kill that hope with lack of control and an unwillingness to help us help you.

It is beyond frustrating.

So PG-13 isn't OK around those wife and kids now, but will be later? Again, not making any sense.
    "hey, I got a wife and kids, don't cuss. But if we play it clean today, we can use the PG-13 language in front of them tomorrow!" I mean seriously? Talk about silly.

What's really frustrating is the incapability or unwillingness to offer a clear, consistent rule. PG-13 yesterday, kinda sorta but not really G today, maybe PG-13 tomorrow, but only if you kids behave today.

If anyone can offer a logical explanation of how that makes any sense at all, I'll happily shut my piehole (is that word allowed?) and move on.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom