• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I usually try to do most of my canning in the winter time so I'm using the heat to can that adds to the atmosphere. Pressure canning in summer sucks since you don't WANT the extra heat then!
    This is the truth. But for veggies out of the garden, one doesn't have much choice. I usually can our chili, beef stew, chicken noodle soup, etc in the winter.

For sure a priceless skill in a disaster or not. If nothing else, I suggest buying the equipment, learning to use it and then moth balling it. If the power goes out long term, that's part of my plan to can whatever is in the freezer.
    To me, its a basic skill that goes hand in hand with gardening. It's very rewarding to open jars of your canned products especially in the winter time. I just had spaghetti for dinner that was home made and canned sauce.
    Personally, I like a cold water and a pressure canner. You can do most all vegy's in a cold water bath, meats in a pressure canner.
    We have been talking about some food canning/drying classes this summer if I thought we could get enough interest
    Good luck!

Only high acid foods should be canned in a hot water bath. Veggies and meats should be canned in a pressure canner. Just because granny did doesn't make it safe. The risk is there and it's just a silly risk to take.

If you are looking to get into canning, take a look at what you have to heat with. I was all gung ho last September to get into canning. But my house is all electric and my electric range isn't recommended for use in pressure canning.

I was thinking about using propane and my turkey fryer as the heat source. But you can't (well, shouldn't) do that inside the house due to fumes.
    I have a flat top electric stove. Been canning for 3 years with nary a problem. I keep canning on it hoping the big pressure canner will crack the surface because I hate electric, but it came with the house. :dunno:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I finally had to add wooden shelves in one of our coat closets so that we have enough room in the house to store all of our jars of canned fruits, vegetables and meat.

If you're a do-it-yourself kind of person, it can be fun and very rewarding to grow your own food and can it.

I agree that the Ball Blue Book is a good reference. Just follow the instructions and jump right in.

And, how great is it to stand there and gaze upon row after row of wonderful jars of good food in your pantry?

briand212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Putnam County IN
    during the summer I use my turkey frier outside,, for hot water baths and pressure canning.
    I usually dont have any issues with regulating temp but you do need to keep an eye on it.

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I have a propane fish frier burner mounted on the outside of my deck rail. Getting the heat out of the kitchen/house was a major contributor in me getting back into canning. Everything gets canned outside.

Do you have a picture of your set up? I am going to have to do something like that since I have a glass top stove or try to find an over size electric hot plate to use. But outside sounds like a better choice for July & Aug days

gds

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Lawrencburg
    If you don't have enough room to grow your own veges. try asking around for anyone that has any extras that they don't need . I always seem to have more than I can use . I end up calling around and posting free veges. you pick ,to keep them from going to waste. Every one that has a big garden usually has extras.

Top Bottom