• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If it helps any, this happens a lot. My mother-in-law had the exact same thing happen. Doctor called and said they found something on some recent tests they had run for a normal checkup and they wanted her to come in for some more tests. It turns out that it was nothing more than abnormal test results and she was healthy.

Keep your head up and focus on the positives. #1 this may be the thing that gets you to quit smoking (most smokers secretively wish they didn't smoke) so now's your chance on that. #2 it may be nothing at all, and the docs are just being cautious, #3 dwelling on the bad things won't change the outcome so keep your head up, stay positive, and do lots of stuff to keep it off your mind. :)

Prayers definitely on the way!

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Like a good buddy of mine says "It's nothing, until it's something." My wife and I have three boys. During all three pregnancies "some test" showed "some level" that they needed to check into. Everything was fine.

I think Docs are so freaked out about *not* catching something that they check into every little thing that they find.

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    Sorry for the delayed update everyone....been dealing with alot. On Thursday evening of last week I was sent straight from the doctors office to the oncology unit at the hospital for testing; again they repeated it was either lymphoma or luekemia. Tests were run Thursday night and Friday morning, and by Friday evening I had diagnosed with Luekemia, and was told that we would have a more specific diagnosis type on Monday morning.

Monday morning rolled around, and I was told I have ALL with a Philadelphia Mutation. Basically, this means that I have a VERY serious form of Leukemia for an adult (children usually have the ALL) and the Philadelphia Mutation makes it even more serious. I'm looking at 2 week cycles of in hospital chemo, followed by 2 weeks at home recovery, for 8 cycles. That's...what....32 weeks total of in and out of hospital treatment. Then towards the end of that, if all goes well and we can get into remission, I'll most likely be headed to Vanderbuilt or IU for a complete bone marrow transplant.

With only the chemo, I have about a 25-30 percent chance of long term survival.
    With the bone marrow transplant, it goes up to about 40 to 45 percent.

Obviously, I'm going to fight this damn disease every step of the way. My first batch of chemo started Wednesday morning.

I just wanted to give everyone an update, thank you for the prayers said, and request any more that you can send this way.

Will try to post an occassional update, as I do have internet access here in the hospital room...but you probably won't see me as much on here for a while.

How does someone go from being a healthy 40 year old man to having a deadly disease in a matter of weeks.....I just don't get it.

Thanks again,
    Greg

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Greg B... I'm really sorry to hear about the diagnosis. I think you have a great attitude and will beat it.

You will be in my prayers. If you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I haven't had the pleasure of getting to know you very well since I've been here. You have my thoughts and prayers with you just the same.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I'm sorry to hear the bad news.
    Thoughts and prayers from the Clark family.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Continued prayers for you and your family, your Dr's for wisdom to fight and win this, If you need a donor for bone marrrow transplant I'm in if you need someone for testing to see if its a match!

renegade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    IN
    Greg, here is a tip for you. Create a facebook account that you post regular updates. That way you won't have to repeat updates to all of your friends and family. A friend of mine got tired of answering questions about his chemo. But with facebook he would make one post and cover almost everyone. Just makes it a little easier when you are going through the "chemo fog".
    Oh and prayers sent.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    How does someone go from being a healthy 40 year old man to having a deadly disease in a matter of weeks.....I just don't get it.

Thanks again,
    Greg

I'm just now seeing this (don't know how I missed it the first time around), but I know what you're going through in this regard. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer at age 32. I went from healthy wife and mother to cancer patient in a matter of days.

I am fortunate in that my cancer was extremely treatable with a very high rate of "cure." But when you hear that word, your whole world changes and everything you've ever done comes into question; all the decisions you've ever been faced with get replayed, this time with the "OMG did I make the right one knowing what I know now" spin; your plans for the future suddenly seem so inadequate. Don't let those thoughts rule you.

Please, please, please remember to take care of your emotional/spiritual side. I'm not just referring to faith, if you have it. It's easy to get lost in the impersonal medical realities. You're not treating the cancer; you're treating YOU. I will pray for you and your family.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Prayers... lots of prayers. I hate to hear the news... absolutely hate it. It takes the breath out of me and makes me feel like someone punched me in the nuts or in the gut. Or both.

My wife and I will be praying for you and your family.

Consider making a caring bridge website. CaringBridge - Free Patient Websites Connect Loved Ones During Serious Health Events.

You can tell family, friends and others how you are doing by telling them to check out the website so you and your wife do not have to answer the same painful questions over and over and over when you receive phone calls. Also works for INGOers.

Just remember to breathe, take deep breaths, remind yourself that you aren't a damn statistic and keep your head about you. If you need to cry, do it. If you need to punch something, punch a pillow and if you need someone to talk to, let us know.

And let me know if there is anything my wife and I can do to help you.

There are lots of survivors on the board and at different intervals in their walk with various kinds of cancers. Prayers inbound.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Prayers out for you and yours.

Don't get caught up in the statistics. Lots of people have lived decades after being given less than a year. I sincerely believe your attitude is going to make a big difference. Stay positive and stay away from negative people. They just sap the strength out of everyone around them. You need to conserve yours. God bless.

Top Bottom