• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Keep your head up buddy, a positive attitude is a great healer.

Sending good thoughts your way.

rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    my mom had surgery to remove a cancerous lymph node in her throat in 2008, and yep shes a smoker, and yep so am i. but after the treatment shes gone through, mentally and physically shes doing very well, yep shes still smoking, but she just went to see her doctor recently and the exam went great. its weird, when she was diagnosed with cancer, it didn't even bother her too much, it was like she was expecting it.. stay positive dude, and be strong..

O2guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    MSG2
    At 27 I was diagnosed with cancer, at that age thinking your invincible you have that sudden realazation your not. I completely understand about the not knowing and being impatient about finding out the definites of the situation. I went through both chemo and radiation and have been clear now for 10 yrs. Keep your head high, as IM said attitude is a strong medicine.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Greg,

You and your family will definitely be in my prayers. I am, currently, a cancer survivor. I remember waiting like you are waiting now and wondering what would happen, how it would happen and why it was happening to me. Your mind will not settle down for a while. This is normal. You will have a hard time sleeping. Use it to your advantage. Think about what is important to you and think about no matter what the situation is, what you're going to do with your life and how much you've appreciated the things you have.

To date, I've done two rounds of chemotherapy, 25 radiation treatments, and two surgeries. Even if your cancer is a different flavor, I understand how "the process" goes.

Just remember to breathe... it sounds stupid, but it is valid.

Let's play worse case scenario. Let's say they tell you that you have cancer. This is not a death sentence. Ask questions. Leave nothing unanswered. Get second opinions. Ask for new treatment methods. Go to Clarian/Louisville/major Cancer Treatment centers and ask for their opinion. Get referrals, do research. Oh, and remember to breath. :)

Know that nothing that may or may not happen to you will separate you from the love of your family. Distractions from reality, temporarily, are okay but don't let them come between your family or take priority over them. I used INGO as a distraction (I didn't get to over 4K posts for nothing! :D).

Things to take with you to the doctor:

Pen and paper for writing down information. Write some questions down before you go. If you have a little voice recorder or mp3 player that records, use it. You'll be able to play back all the large words and terms and info the doctor is giving you. You don't legally need his permission to record but he might get mad if he finds out you're doing it and think you're trying to get him for malpractice or something.

Be patient, be kind to everyone in the cancer ward, it will pay off. Be yourself.

You have my prayers and my sympathy. If you need someone to talk to, let me know. I found it really helpful to talk to someone outside of my family or circle of friends with someone else who had actually experienced cancer.

I wish I had more words of comfort insight and intuition. I'm not sure what is appropriate to say and what is not to say to someone experiencing turmoil. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Staying positive, even in the face of the inevitable, does wonders. Realize when you need to spend healthy alone time and acknowledge when you really need to spend time with others because it is damaging to yourself if you don't.

stationhollow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    by the river
    stay positive and try to do things to beat the stress and anxiety. doctors can do alot these days. we all have a battle to fight wether we know it or not. prayer said and good luck

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    1) remember to breathe
    2) quit smoking NOW. get the patch, get the gum, get an RX
    3) don't be afraid to get a second opinion
    4) don't come on INGO for medical advice. there are a few here claiming to be medical professionals who are complete quacks, as well the non-professional internet experts

Our prayers are with you.

These.

Good luck buddy...Please keep us posted.:ingo:

Edit: And always, always stay positive.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Greg, I was diagnosed with late stage 3 bordering on stage 4 Non Hodgekins Lyphoma 7 years ago this upcoming November. I played the procrastination game with my symptoms as well and wound up letting the mass swell to a staggering 5.5 inches in length wrapped around my anterior mediasteinum (I have no idea how to spell it right but it's where a bunch of arteries converge into your heart).

I was EXTREMELY fortunate in 4 areas.

1. I had an amazing oncologist who doesn't waffle and who's only concern is getting you cancer free. Dr. Hillary Wu

2. My wife is the most amazing person I've ever met and I leaned on her heavily. She is the reason I'm still alive as I had never been sick once in my life before I was diagnosed with cancer and I used to be a SERIOUS procrastinator.

3. Other than the cancer, I was in outstanding physical condition and they were able to hit me with doses of treatments that Dr. Wu said (and I quote) "The amount of treatment we're giving you is probably enough to kill 2-3 of our normal patients with one treatment". It pretty much wrecked my body and it's never been the same. Best to be mentally prepared for that because I had a hard time dealing with my physiology changing as it did. The key is to focus yourself mentally on the task at hand which is doing whatever you can to get better because there are people who count on you!

4. Once we knew what was going on and told our families and friends there was a very large and highly unexpected support and prayer network developed. Our neighbors made sure our lawn was mowed and sidewalks shoveled when I couldnt do it. Friends and family often cooked meals up and came by to share them with us and visit. My in-laws even put together a fundraiser "party" at their local VFW (Where they and my wife are life members) to benefit my wife and I. I also know we were lucky enough to be mentioned at several churches in prayer requests. Apparently it worked because I'm alive and well!

Feel free to PM me if you feel you want to talk further on the subject. I'm actually involved in a cancer walk in memory of my Father in Law that we just lost to lung cancer this spring this Sunday morning at the American Legion Wayne Post 64 via the "Marcia R. Starrett" cancer foundation they have. (The foundation was actually formed for my wife's Aunt who we lost to breast cancer just a few years ago during her second fight with it.)

Last edited:

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I havn't been through this wait for myself ,but I went through it with my daughter.
    The wait is worse than knowing , as soon as you know the path forward it will get better.
    Start thinkng positive thoughts now , my daughter says that anger at the disease helps kill cancer cells. She is tough as hell.
    Keep your head up , stay positive prayers coming your way

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Thoughts and prayers for you.
    Hopefully it's just that nasty chest virus that's been going around So. Indiana.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Hang in there man. I had a big chunk of basil cell cancer removed from the side of my head.... now I have what may be another one growing next to the scar that I am watching like a hawk.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Thanks US Patriot. I'm trying to be positive....like I keep telling myself...I don't know anything for sure yet. I'm going to be spending as much time with family as possible, regardless of the diagnosis. Just the scare of this, like I said, has made me realize alot of things that I'd forgotten.

Thank you RachelMarie.

No problem bro. I know how tough it can be. I try to do what I can to help others.

Top Bottom