• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The purpose of this group is to allow all students to have a voice. We have tried it our way for decades and have screwed it up, so it's time to allow the young people to try something different. Although many joke and put up the same on bull about "If there was a white ____ it would be called racist." Well, we are going to give it a try. This group would be allowed to speak to other groups about what they consider to be their culture. Not their father's or mother's from the past, but today's culture with which they identify. I see no reason to get rid of culture centers, so why not have one for white people?

Have you had many takers? It's an interesting concept, but it seems to me that few whites tend to see 'white' as a large part of their identity. As I've mentioned before, my first wife was black and it was eye opening to me how much race played into her thoughts and how quickly it came to mind, and then as my circle of acquaintances got more diverse I noticed it more and more. Whites tend to identify more along the lines of rural vs urban, perhaps some tenuous tie to wherever they think their family is from, etc. Maybe the youngsters see it different?

Maybe you could start a thread and let us know how it goes. I'm really curious as to who joins, how they are received by the other cultural groups, what they decide 'white culture' is, etc. Congrats on trying the experiment.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why should you be ashamed of being white? Is that even possible?

Liberals of the modern hippy persuasion manage it from time to time.

ZWhite.jpg

https://racheltoalson.wordpress.com/2014/08/18/sometimes-im-ashamed-to-be-a-white-person/

etc

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Have you had many takers? It's an interesting concept, but it seems to me that few whites tend to see 'white' as a large part of their identity. As I've mentioned before, my first wife was black and it was eye opening to me how much race played into her thoughts and how quickly it came to mind, and then as my circle of acquaintances got more diverse I noticed it more and more. Whites tend to identify more along the lines of rural vs urban, perhaps some tenuous tie to wherever they think their family is from, etc. Maybe the youngsters see it different?

Maybe you could start a thread and let us know how it goes. I'm really curious as to who joins, how they are received by the other cultural groups, what they decide 'white culture' is, etc. Congrats on trying the experiment.

We just had our first discussion last week after opening our VeTZone, which is an area for veterans to talk about their culture with other students and how they, as the smallest minority group on campus, copes with integrating into civilian society and higher education. We have a large Appalatian community and they are the students most interested, although it's a very small number right now willing to step out, but they have support from all the other culture centers at this point.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why should you be ashamed of being white? Is that even possible?

I see someone is unfamiliar with my family. The clothing. The incessant watching of the Weather Channel. The bad dancing. The bad taste in music. Wearing helmets while biking. The continual 401K talk.

The shame. The horror. The shame.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    We just had our first discussion last week after opening our VeTZone, which is an area for veterans to talk about their culture with other students and how they, as the smallest minority group on campus, copes with integrating into civilian society and higher education. We have a large Appalatian community and they are the students most interested, although it's a very small number right now willing to step out, but they have support from all the other culture centers at this point.
    Good to hear, who will be allowed to join this group? Just "whites" or are other groups allowed? If just "white" how would "white" be defined? Not trolling, I think this is great, if we are to be a color blind society than things like this needs to occur. Well I don't know if I could ever be color blind, what is wrong with seeing that a person is dark or light, etc.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Good to hear, who will be allowed to join this group? Just "whites" or are other groups allowed? If just "white" how would "white" be defined? Not trolling, I think this is great, if we are to be a color blind society than things like this needs to occur. Well I don't know if I could ever be color blind, what is wrong with seeing that a person is dark or light, etc.

Students can join any group they wish, but a culture center is about learning and not necessarily joining. For example, the Black Culture Center is open to anyone and they sometimes offer discussions for anyone who wants to learn about a particular topic. The person attending may not agree and may like to discuss his objection further. This is welcomed as long as the discussion is civil. The same goes with all the other centers, which is why the White Culture Center is needed. The discussion needs to be broadened. My colleagues call me crazy, but as long as I have the students behind me it doesn't matter. I don't believe in color blindness, either.

http://m.roanoke.com/news/education...11c-4ba4-587a-8b95-fcfbb605400c.html?mode=jqm

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Students can join any group they wish, but a culture center is about learning and not necessarily joining. For example, the Black Culture Center is open to anyone and they sometimes offer discussions for anyone who wants to learn about a particular topic. The person attending may not agree and may like to discuss his objection further. This is welcomed as long as the discussion is civil. The same goes with all the other centers, which is why the White Culture Center is needed. The discussion needs to be broadened. My colleagues call me crazy, but as long as I have the students behind me it doesn't matter. I don't believe in color blindness, either.

Veterans find new support at Virginia Tech - Virginia Tech - Mobile

What exactly do you learn in a White Cultural Center that isn't widely taught or known?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    What exactly do you learn in a White Cultural Center that isn't widely taught or known?

That is a great question. Students are "taught" a lot in class, but we all can admit that most of that education has a liberal lean. My goal is to allow students to have a voice to express what they see as their culture. In the class, especially in undergrad, it's the professor's way or the highway. In the culture centers, students can disagree and learn how to disagree without being angry or disrespectful. They learn how to chew the meat and spit out the bones, so to speak. To answer your question, I believe students can learn how to leave college without being afraid of each other's thoughts and opinions.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    See, now I learned something today. I never knew mayonnaise was a racial thing. .

Same here, I've been white for all my 57 years and I have never heard of mayonnaise being a racial thing.. Oh and I don't eat anything with mayo or miracle whip on it.. And I'm German white.

There is a pretty funny Chris Rock bit from about 15 years ago where he brings it up... Somethings about mayonase sandwhiches.....
    But yeah, the mayo thing I had always heard of.

That and the Sweet Potato Pie versus Pumkin Pie thing.....

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    What's the big deal? I'm working to start one on my campus.

I thought that was really funny when I first read it. Until I knew you were serious. Extra points for not being white. If a white person started one it would be racist.

Also, why is this a thing?:

BlackExpo.jpg

Why don't we have a white expo? Or a special license plate?

Attachments

• black-expo-license-plate-logo.jpg
      black-expo-license-plate-logo.jpg
      9.4 KB · Views: 2

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Have you met the people who make a big point of celebrating their "whiteness"? They're not nearly as fun to hang out with as you might think.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom