• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    I'll need pics of the young lady before answering. ;)

BG1, justified
    BG2, unjusitifed IMO, but I wouldn't be thinking clearly, it all happened so fast...

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    you absolutely have problems! you can not shoot someone in the back, as stupid as that is... apparently it has something to do with the fact that they are not a threat to you if their back is turned.
    What if he turns from you to dive for cover? Should you let him get orientated and a weapon pointed at you before you continue to fire?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    It was dark I didn't know that was my grandmothers silver collection, he was a threat to my family with prior weapons and I felt my life (and family's life) was in danger.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Shoot the person in the sholder. That will spin him around. Then put two in the chest and one in the computer.:shoot: Dead men tell no tale! :stretcher:

Somebody's seen a bit too many movies. Also, getting shot with a shotgun doesn't make people fly though the air either :):

It was dark I didn't know that was my grandmothers silver collection, he was a threat to my family with prior weapons and I felt my life (and family's life) was in danger.

Bingo, you feel a threat, do it, worry about articulating that threat after you talk to your lawyer

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Given the scene as described in the OP.

I'd say no.

Waiting for GL's answer and looking forward to more mental exercises.....

:popcorn:

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    you absolutely have problems! you can not shoot someone in the back, as stupid as that is... apparently it has something to do with the fact that they are not a threat to you if their back is turned.
    That isn't true.
    The rule is that you use force to stop a threat to your safety (or loved ones' safety or some other 3rd party).
    The litmus test is 'are you (or anyone else) in danger'.
    In the previous scenario, the perp was shot in back WHILE FLEEING.

Scenario:
    As previous scenario, you drop the guy in the bedroom and other guy runs down your hallway (let's say your bedroom is at the end, so he has 20ft or so to run before going back to first floor).
    You shoot him IN THE BACK.
    No charges would be filed. (or they would be immediately dropped)
    Why?
    Because in my scenario he wasn't AT THE DOOR, and ON THE WAY OUT.
    If I shot perp at beginning of hall (which also happens to be right where the doors to my kids' rooms are), then there was a continued threat.
    Shooting someone in the back is NOT THE ISSUE.
    Someone could have their back to you while they are pointing a gun into the next room (or are actively attacking).
    You remove the threat whether it is a shot in the side, front, back, top, etc.

IANAL, so take this with grain of salt (and shot of tequila)

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Depends on what you consider to be dessert... Maybe some apple pie? A little ice cream? ;)
    Yep...apple pie... American Pie style... :D

americanpie.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    That isn't true.
    The rule is that you use force to stop a threat to your safety (or loved ones' safety or some other 3rd party).
    The litmus test is 'are you (or anyone else) in danger'.
    In the previous scenario, the perp was shot in back WHILE FLEEING.

Scenario:
    As previous scenario, you drop the guy in the bedroom and other guy runs down your hallway (let's say your bedroom is at the end, so he has 20ft or so to run before going back to first floor).
    You shoot him IN THE BACK.
    No charges would be filed. (or they would be immediately dropped)
    Why?
    Because in my scenario he wasn't AT THE DOOR, and ON THE WAY OUT.
    If I shot perp at beginning of hall (which also happens to be right where the doors to my kids' rooms are), then there was a continued threat.
    Shooting someone in the back is NOT THE ISSUE.
    Someone could have their back to you while they are pointing a gun into the next room (or are actively attacking).
    You remove the threat whether it is a shot in the side, front, back, top, etc.

IANAL, so take this with grain of salt (and shot of tequila)

This.

The way I understand it, there is a difference between "running away" and "fleeing"....you can't shoot at someone who is fleeing, ie, moving in a direction that no longer makes them a threat. But you can shoot at someone who is running...ie, running from you towards an area where they can still be a threat. I'm kinda sleepy, so I might not have laid that out as well as I could, but I imagine you get the general idea.

On his way out the front door...no. On his way down the hall towards your kids bedrooms (regardless if this is the way he has to run to leave)....yes.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Before we jump to conclusions, his "young lady" could be a daughter for all we know. Minds out of the gutter people!!!

To answer the question in the OP: I think it depends on what you (and the police, and the prosecutor, and the jury, and the public, etc. etc. etc) believe to be "reasonable." To me, I don't think it's "reasonable" to shoot a fleeing suspect in the back of the head on his way out of your house. Sure, he could pull a second gun from his waistband and fire on his way out the door but from the original scenario I don't think that's likely. I would say let the second guy go but keep the sights on him as he goes. I could be wrong, but that's what I would do. :twocents:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Maybe the second BG is screaming like a baby now, but what about later, when he decides that you "disrespected" him (not to mention killed his buddy) and comes back to rape and kill your family while you are at work?

As far as I'm concerned, the second BG deserves to get shot, but I would probably abstain from shooting merely out of fear of our tainted legal system.

Top Bottom