• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Because I usually cleaned them up before they got out of hand.

You're still limiting the data set to the instances that involve a neg rep assault. My point is that those are ridiculous few relative to ALL new members. I'm saying that the totality of new posters who register don't ever have to worry about gold badgers zapping them with neg rep because most newbs know how to join respectfully and without acting like they own the joint. It's ONLY the ones who forgot to leave their asshattery at the door that got it. And rightfully so, IMO.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You're still limiting the data set to the instances that involve a neg rep assault. My point is that those are ridiculous few relative to ALL new members. I'm saying that the totality of new posters who register don't ever have to worry about gold badgers zapping them with neg rep because most newbs know how to join respectfully and without acting like they own the joint. It's ONLY the ones who forgot to leave their asshattery at the door that got it. And rightfully so, IMO.

And you're still limiting it to the ones you've seen, which is only a small subset of those that I've had to clean up. Regardless, my previous point still holds. We don't want members "punishing" new members, no matter how much they think they deserve it. It's almost always unwarranted and almost always due to the person not taking the time to read and understand the rules, and that's no reason to chase them off the site.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I think I have neg repped maybe a half-dozen times. I neg repped someone once, and then they turned around and retaliated by neg repping me back. Their neg rep didn't do anything though since they already had several red badges.

:lmfao:

Wouldn't that turn it into positive rep? :dunno:

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Not "for real". And if it's "for real" that select people really got that function back, I'm curious what the criteria was for determining who. I thought Que was kidding.
    i think he tricked himself into a bunch of rep. he will be up to 42 gold badges in no time.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Best idea I've heard all day. :)

If the rep system is being so badly abused, why shut down just one side of it? Pos rep gets WAAAAAY more abuse than neg rep ever did. Disable the whole shebang and be done with it.

:yesway:

If nobody has rep anymore I wouldn't feel bad about losing mine.
    Let's start a thread with a poll and see if people are ok with the idea of not having any kind of rep anymore.:dunno:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If nobody has rep anymore I wouldn't feel bad about losing mine.
    Let's start a thread with a poll and see if people are ok with the idea of not having any kind of rep anymore.:dunno:

The way I see it, the entire rep system has been corrupt for a LONG time; neither pos rep nor neg rep are being/have been used as originally intended. This sets up a situation whereby people accumulate INSANE amounts of pos rep in a short period of time due to rep-whoring/rep pyramid/post-whoring/etc, so that when they neg-rep someone, they can significantly alter that person's rep status with a single (often ill-considered) act, leading to those members complaining and/or leaving as Scutter01 previously mentioned.

Either turn off the rep system entirely, or leave the ability to rep (both pos and neg) in place but disable the display of the associated badges, like several Mods and others here have voluntarily done already.

My :twocents:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The way I see it, the entire rep system has been corrupt for a LONG time; neither pos rep nor neg rep are being/have been used as originally intended. This sets up a situation whereby people accumulate INSANE amounts of pos rep in a short period of time due to rep-whoring/rep pyramid/post-whoring/etc, so that when they neg-rep someone, they can significantly alter that person's rep status with a single (often ill-considered) act, leading to those members complaining and/or leaving as Scutter01 previously mentioned.

Either turn off the rep system entirely, or leave the ability to rep (both pos and neg) in place but disable the display of the associated badges, like several Mods and others here have voluntarily done already.

My :twocents:

Im not sure how to do that, I tried but couldn't find where to go.
    Maybe only mods or site supporters can do it, idk. :dunno:

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    The rep...

I like the rep, even though it is abused. I didn't know that rep was progressive.
    I think weather positive or negative it should be 1 point, maybe supporters
    get 2 to 5, and mods can take away rep as a warning, prior to the ban.

Due to inflation the above is my $0.005

ps I am for the zero hour idea [all rep reset] with a ban on rep pyramids

Last edited:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Mama mia with this thread...it's like OINGO! (Occupy INGO)

99% worried about what the 1% of rep "abusers" have are getting (or have gotten) away with.

Oy! :D

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    My Rep was just gone one day. :(

Still not exactly sure what happened to it. :scratch:

Heck, even my Quick Reply option just says Quickly now. :dunno:

Top Bottom