• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    SB 33 was assigned today - as expected - to the House Public Policy Committee ... 2 weeks ... no hearing set yet.

Will there be hearings on the bills that came over from the Senate? It seems like they'd have to, but with 2 weeks to go none are scheduled. I'm new to this stuff so...

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    SB 1 (Sunday sales)and SB 340 (abortion regulations) are now on the agenda to be heard in committee tomorrow. Update was at 1347 this afternoon. Stand by to stand by.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Will there be hearings on the bills that came over from the Senate? It seems like they'd have to, but with 2 weeks to go none are scheduled. I'm new to this stuff so...

YES - there "SHOULD" be ... of course if you don't want an issue to pass you give orders to you committee chairs to "not schedule a hearing" - (sound familiar)?

SB 1 (Sunday sales)and SB 340 (abortion regulations) are now on the agenda to be heard in committee tomorrow. Update was at 1347 this afternoon. Stand by to stand by.

Yeah - they have 1 week of 'regular scheduled meetings' - they may let SB 237 sit - since 1424 is in Senate and so similar ... I just hope they hear SB 33... who knows.

(I'm tied up our van got hit - sitting in our driveway - last evening. Insurance and speculating what is next; had stuff to clean up and all that. Lucky the guy didn't hit the new house. UGH.)

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    YES - there "SHOULD" be ... of course if you don't want an issue to pass you give orders to you committee chairs to "not schedule a hearing" - (sound familiar)?

Yeah - they have 1 week of 'regular scheduled meetings' - they may let SB 237 sit - since 1424 is in Senate and so similar ... I just hope they hear SB 33... who knows.

(I'm tied up our van got hit - sitting in our driveway - last evening. Insurance and speculating what is next; had stuff to clean up and all that. Lucky the guy didn't hit the new house. UGH.)
    Looks like we're on stand by for the 21st. Sorry to hear about your van getting hit. It sounds like he other party is clearly at fault.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    With the events (repeat Criminal Protection Zone theme song) in Florida.

I am thinking we may need to get a bunch of letters and calls made to Chairman Smaltz, Assist Chair Wesco, Rep Lucas and the rest of the Public Policy Committee that SB 33 needs not only to be heard but to be heard and strengthened if possible.

Thoughts? ... "Last time" something of this scenario happened and the former chair tabled all Art.1.Sec.32 legislation pending.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I am thinking we may need to get a bunch of letters and calls made to Chairman Smaltz, Assist Chair Wesco, Rep Lucas and the rest of the Public Policy Committee that SB 33 needs not only to be heard but to be heard and strengthened if possible.

Thoughts? ... "Last time" something of this scenario happened and the former chair tabled all Art.1.Sec.32 legislation pending.

Agreed, if anything this event should be a prime example of why we need this type of law. We need MORE good guys with guns, not less in places like this.

Proud to say our church had 15-20% of those in our ash Wednesday service tonight carrying. (Thank God our church doesnt need the protections of this bill... which is one major reason we chose it.)

Edit: If one of you ends up speaking, please bring this up: What happens if we DONT pass this law? Affected churches are relegated to remaining gun free zones unconditionally, allowing more incidents like this to happen without any resistance. If it passes, there are more likely to be somebody, and likely multiple somebodies, capable of shutting down a shooter like this and preventing more deaths.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I can hear the knees getting weak and starting to knock together now.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

1-800-382-9841. You'll get a young staffer. Be polite, be professional, make the point. Good call (pun intended) BB3.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I can hear the knees getting weak and starting to knock together now.

1-800-382-9841. You'll get a young staffer. Be polite, be professional, make the point. Good call (pun intended) BB3.

SOURCES ... (not naming them, but reliable) ... indicated to me:
    "Actually, we need to call Smaltz a LOT. He's wavering and Sandlin thinks it's 50/50 that Smaltz will give it a vote in Public Policy."

SO GET THE WORD OUT AND GET CALLING ETC.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    "Actually, we need to call Smaltz a LOT. He's wavering and Sandlin thinks it's 50/50 that Smaltz will give it a vote in Public Policy."

I just called! 1-800 number, ask to leave a message for Rep Smaltz, get transferred to his staffer. She sounded like she had a cold (Joyce maybe?) but so do I. "SB 33 is an important bill. It needs to come up for discussion and there are number of supporters ready to testify in favor of this bill."

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

1-800-382-9841!! Everyone has a Smartphone,that can be used as a phone. Lather, rinse, REPEAT!!

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    A little earlier Guy gave out the 1-800-382-9841 number on his show and encouraged leaving a message for Rep Smaltz.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    President's Day bump! The General Assembly is in session today. I encourage everyone in favor of SB 33 to call 1-800-382-9841 and ask to leave a message for Representative Smaltz.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Called, Sent an e-mail - made a post w/ sample letter (well my emailed letter)

There is no meeting scheduled - this is HIGHLY disappointing ... on several levels ... as there are other bills (such as the SB 237 as well)

SAMPLE LETTER:

Chairman Smaltz,

I am disappointed and urge you to hold a hearing of the Public Policy Committee prior to the end of hearing time for this session; Senate Bill 33 (Houses of Worship and Firearms) needs and deserves a hearing. I realize this is now potentially a "touchy" subject. You are elected to do the difficult jobs – a servant / leader. This, sir, is one of them.

In any church, NOT sharing property with a "School" as defined by the Indiana Code, people are already free to carry their firearms. This law only levels the playing field - so someone, attending services at a church sharing such property is not committing a felony by also carrying their otherwise legally possessed sidearm. I would wish this would go further and protect those who attend services at schools that are leased for Sunday services, at a time when school is not in session (though I am told it does not); or better still and repeal the "criminal protection" (or gun free) zone on school property entirely.

We have seen time and time and time again -ad nauseam - the failure of gun free zones since their inception over 25 years ago. This is a vital step for freedom - and the freedom to worship in safety at the location of one's choice. Unlike the obtuse and difficult arguments of Senators Randolph and Taylor, during the Senate’s hearing (both of whom are experienced lawyers and senators) this also does not prevent any church or other worship center from prohibiting the carry of firearms. It simply removes the crime, punishable by the state; for crossing an invisible line; a line which will not stop those with the intent to do harm.

Please, in the STRONGEST of terms, I URGE you to hold a hearing, strengthen and pass this much needed legislation this session. Fear is high among those that will not face the reality of the dangers of the world. However if you capitulate to their fear - you only help perpetuate it – casting us into their oblivious nature. Please Grant SB 33 a hearing. Thank you.

Sincerely,
    BB3

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    REAL WORLD, NOT AN EXERCISE! SB 33 is on the schedule for tomorrow!!! Room 404 0900!

Top Bottom