• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dmo216

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    I am looking at buying a home in la Porte and I was wondering what the law and regulations are of shooting on my property?

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Why would you want a house in the city limits?

Sec. 70-2. - Unlawful discharge of firearms.

It is unlawful for any person to discharge or fire or discharge any firearm, gun or other like device of any kind or character within the city.

(Code 1971, § 15-11; Code 1985, § 9.08.010)

Sec. 70-3. - Unlawful discharge of miscellaneous devices and objects.

It is unlawful for any person to use or shoot any airgun, air pistol, toy gun, toy pistol, slingshot or other mechanical device to shoot or throw shot, bullets, stones or other articles, or to throw or cast, by hand or otherwise, any stone or missile into or within the city.

(Code 1971, § 15-1; Code 1985, § 9.08.020)

http://search.municode.com/html/13927/level3/MUCO_CH70OFMIPR_ARTIINGE.html

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    If your query is correct as written, the answer is no. There is no incorporated area in Indiana that would allow you to shoot in your backyard.

So all of the threads/AARs we see with folks running rounds into a natural bunker out in their field, etc, are essentially evidence of illegal activity? I don't think that's the case. Could you provide some code? My understanding is that the state does not provide any restrictions (therefore not illegal = legal) but towns/cities/townships are known to restrict discharge of firearms in populated areas usually defined as within city limits. Is this wrong? I would think the answer to the OP's question is: If you're not within the confines of an incorporated town/township/city you should be OK. If in doubt, call the legislative body or DA for the area your zip code is included in.

-Dobber

EDIT: Dang 92ThoStro, super fast with that code.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Pinchaser was saying "incorporated" in reference to an incorporated town or city, same as you were. I don't believe he was using "incorporated" as a term to mean all of Indiana, but the way he wrote it, it could be taken either way. I agree, I don't think there is any town or city that allows you to discharge in the city/town limits in Indiana.

Good call on county or city, I was just assuming city because why ask otherwise :D

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    There is no ordinance saying you can't discharge within an unincorporated area of the county, so that means you can.

Don't take our word for it though, calling the Sheriffs Department or DA is always a good bet.

I did decide to Google with some tags since I couldn't find any code that outlawed shooting in the county,

came up with this article

LaPorte County police Capt. George Ritter said discharging a firearm in unincorporated areas of the county is not against the law.

"Yeah, it's legal but you have to do it safely," Ritter said.

If arrested, the man likely will be charged with criminal recklessness, Ritter said.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sto...20050719-sbt-MARS-B3-Gunshot_aimed_at_gro.sto

As far as I'm concerned, you're good to go :D But i'm nobody, so call and ask if you want to know for sure!

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    I live in an unincorporated burg of approx. 30 houses and had a neighbor complain and the sheriffs dept came out and told me if there wasnt a house or county road in the direction Iwas shooting it would be allowed but there wasnt so I got permission from the farmer who owns the property behind the neighbor who complained and moved my targets there,the neighbor is unhappy I am happy as it is only 100 yards over there and I even have permission to go at night if I want.Problem solved.

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Well I caught the neighbors son in my house and informed them that if it ever happened again they would bury him,after that is when the problems with them started.I thought I did them a favor.

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    As already noted, if you're talking about LaPorte county you're probably ok .. but you should check with the local sheriff. I live in Vanderburgh Co, outside the city limits of Evansville, but in a heavily populated area. I'm quite sure that if I started shooting in my back yard, the mounties would bag me in short order .. and rightly so. It really depends on the area, the population density and the geography. While it might be theoretically legal to shoot, it could also be 'reckless' ..

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    So all of the threads/AARs we see with folks running rounds into a natural bunker out in their field, etc, are essentially evidence of illegal activity? I don't think that's the case. Could you provide some code? My understanding is that the state does not provide any restrictions (therefore not illegal = legal) but towns/cities/townships are known to restrict discharge of firearms in populated areas usually defined as within city limits. Is this wrong? I would think the answer to the OP's question is: If you're not within the confines of an incorporated town/township/city you should be OK. If in doubt, call the legislative body or DA for the area your zip code is included in.

-Dobber

EDIT: Dang 92ThoStro, super fast with that code.

Slow down, count to 10 before you post, think a little, and avoid this type of humiliation in the future.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    Dmo216... if you are in the county.. and not city limits, you are typically safe legally speaking. Consulting the local PD will confirm this.

However... just because you are in the county.. ALWAYS know what is behind the target you are shooting at. Some calibers can travel for half-mile given a clear path. So make sure you have a proper backstop and know your surroundings of the new home.

Just words of advice!:ingo:

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    I live unincorporated valpo and shoot all the time, well did before the panic, but never had a problem. On easter the cops had been called, and they came out seen we had a good backstop and we were being safe, and they laughed and joked with us a bit, told us have a good easter and went on their way. Unincorporated is not illegal, just make sure you know whats behind wherever you are shooting.

Wdsman11

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Well I caught the neighbors son in my house and informed them that if it ever happened again they would bury him,after that is when the problems with them started.I thought I did them a favor.

If your teenage daughter was in the house I can see they would have a little ire. But uninvited they should have thanked you for not doing some more final.

Top Bottom