• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    Granted I tend to ignore most homeless/panhandlers but my human compassion starts to kick in when I see someone who I really believe is in need of help....... in that case I would give them a sandwich or a bottle of water...... nothing more ....... :twocents:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    This is enabling, creating a possible threat for the next "victim." Panhandlers only do it because they have success at it.
    Did you not read the OP?
    Yup!
    And like I said, panhandlers don't need food.
    They want money for booze/drugs.
    People who are desperate for booze/drugs are capable of committing violent crimes to get their crap.
    I avoid them.
    I donate to the Red Cross, Catholic Relief Services, or some other trustworthy organization that assists the needy.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    There was a similar incident in chicago a year or two ago after a homeless man asked a couple for a cigarette, they said no and he beat the holy hell out of them

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I saw a man a few years ago at the side of the highway (at an exit).. he had a dog with him and a sign.. I forget what it read, but IIRC, it was either "traveling, need help" or "will work for food" or some such. I wasn't going to do anything, then that little thought said otherwise... Maybe it was conscience, maybe something (or, IMHO, Someone ;)) else... And I turned around, went to the closest store, and on coming out, had to look for the guy... I found him and pulled off... handed him six of the "tuna salad to go" meal things they sell and six cans of dog food that had pull-tab lids... I didn't want to give money for the same reasons others have cited, but I wanted to get him stuff that he wouldn't need a canopener to get into or need a fire or oven to cook. The look of gratitude on his face and the heartfelt, "God bless you!" I got told me what I needed to know.

Could he have been a serial killer? Sure.
    Could he have been faking the reaction? Absolutely.
    If he fooled me, I'm OK with that. If he was on the run, I'm still OK with that, because as I see it, I did what I thought was a good deed with a pure motive for another human being and his dog. It may not be the popular thing, but IMHO, it was the right thing to do. I don't mean this as bragging, just as a thought, as sloughfoot said... I know what hungry is, and there are very few on whom I would wish that feeling. God forbid I or someone I love was ever in his position, I'd sure hope someone would help them or me, too.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.... Seems I've read that somewhere. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    A few years back I used to get off the 465/Pendleton Pike exit almost everynight to visit friends after work and there was a homeless guy always sitting at the end of the off ramp..... one night I thought about him when I stopped at McDonald's for burgers and decided to get him a couple double cheeseburgers...... literally 4 days after the last encounter I see his picture on the 5:00 news...... Wanted in connection with a string of murders on the northeast side of Indianapolis...... Lesson learned........
    I've been approached several times at speedway gs's. There's always someone else lurking with the begger to if you watch for em. One time I seen a pregnant woman standing on the center median with a sign that said, need shelter. Dressed fairly descent and obviously bad news.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I had a guy ask me for .40 cents outside of PF Chang's one night. He had their menu in his hand. I told him if he was only .40 short of a meal in that place, he could buy a weeks worth of groceries at Save-A-Lot.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    I had a guy approach me in the bathroom of a local cafe a couple weeks
    ago. I was careful of his movements, but this guy really humbled himself
    in asking for money, saying it was humiliating but he was being forced to
    depend on others for his survival. His line was that he was trying to get
    enough to get a cheap motel room so he could shower and sleep well for
    the night. He stank like hell. Then he pulled some job applications from his
    backpack to show me he was trying to get a job. My question then was
    who the hell is going to hire this guy looking and smelling like he does.
    Anyway, I bit.

I gave him a few bucks and bought him some food, for which he thanked
    me profusely. I really did get the feeling that he had just fallen on hard
    times and was trying to survive.

He may have been feeding me a line of BS, but I feel my part was to give
    the help then and there. What he does with what I gave him is up to him.

7.62-5.56Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Portland, IN
    You guys are just plain harsh. These are people, human beings, your fellow man. Maybe you someday.

I hope your conscience kicks in after one of these encounters, at least that is something.....

Of course, you should always be prepared to defend yourself, but have you ever been hungry? I mean really hungry?
    ive never been hungry enough to stab someone, but of course McDonalds is always hiring... they need to get a job and stop beggingive been quite a few places, seen a lot of things. seen so called "homeless" people that i have given moneys to driving around in a nicer car than I. i think the majority of the time its a scam.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    We've been having problems with the "house of david" people in our city. I have tried to look them up on the internet for information. They get into the middle of intersections and ask for money for their church. Now before we go any further, I am a God fearing man. I have been told by these people that they help local churches with their donations. The churches the gave me have never heard of these people. I did find out that approximately 10% they collect does go to a ministry, the rest into their pocket (not impressive).

The reason I told you the above is that I stopped on the way home a couple of months ago at Corydon for gas. The same person stuck his bucket into my window and stated "I haven't received a $20 bill all day, you will give me one". He was visibly shook when he remembered that it was me. I confess that I have given him two tickets for "obstructing traffic". I don't have any problems with collecting for charities. Don't lie to me and deceive the public when doing so.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Soooo....

Since People are being stabbed from Others for refusing to give them Money when asked, I am just going to start shooting People who ask me for Money...

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Come to Bloomington we are over run.
    The vagrants here are getting very aggressive. Public library and downtown post office are favorite places but they shake a sign and stare you down all over town. They curse and bully all they can. We have a shelter here that prides its self on sheltering sex offenders and wanted felons. "we dont insult our Guests by asking for ID" "sex offenders are the modern leppers and we feel we should nurture them" We are drawing scum from all over and our victim status is raising. Liberal nirvana is now vagrants' paradise.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Come to Bloomington we are over run.
    The vagrants here are getting very aggressive. Public library and downtown post office are favorite places but they shake a sign and stare you down all over town. They curse and bully all they can. We have a shelter here that prides its self on sheltering sex offenders and wanted felons. "we dont insult our Guests by asking for ID" "sex offenders are the modern leppers and we feel we should nurture them" We are drawing scum from all over and our victim status is raising. Liberal nirvana is now vagrants' paradise.

That's the truth, you can't walk 3 blocks downtown without someone begging for $... I don't give, not after watching one guy finish his "day" and get into a Caddy and drive off! :xmad:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    When they ask for money, just tell them all you have are hundreds. :D

Seriously, I have helped people and have turned people away before. I NEVER give them money, because they will likely spend it on the same things that got them into that position.

About 4 years ago, I was travelling through Phoenix for a job and stopped to get some gas. This kid, maybe 17 or 18 years old comes up and starts digging through the garbage right next to me. He found an old Pringles can with a few crumbs left in it and just dumped it on his mouth. He had no shoes, walking on the pavement in 114 degree temps. Sure, I could have just gone on my way in my air conditioned truck, but I told him to stay put, and went in and bought him a sandwich and a drink. I deal with people all the time and I think I can discern when someone is truly grateful. This kid had a sincere appreciation for what I did.

As with anything, especially as law abiding gun owners, we need to use an ounce of discernment in every situation. I am prepared and ready to defend myself, but I am not so calloused that I cannot take the time to help out my fellow man.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, I will give out granola bars or bottles of water, (I usually have some in my car for meals on the go anyway,) but I don't give out money.

Gave a homeless guy an order of cini-minis awhile back; I ordered them with my breakfast from McDonalds, (or Burger King? Can't recall,) and wound up not wanting them. He seemed genuinely thankful, and thats ok.

It's the ones who won't take a granola bar or bottle of water that I'm suspicious. Hell, I HAVE a place to live and a good job, and I can't turn down free food.

Top Bottom