• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Endofdays

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    I am in the market for a solid camp axe. Something durable that can take a beating, but yet holds an edge. Not sure where to turn for advice on brand selections as I don't know much about them. I would like to keep the price under $100 or so. Quality and function are what is important to me. Any thoughts on where a guy can compare an axe to two?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I have compared them for you sir. right at 100 dollars for a camp axe is a tough choice. but a small forest axe from gransfors bruks is the ultimate camp axe imo. It will run your about 20-30 more bucks than you want to spend. however it's an amazing tool. they come stupid sharp (seriously sharper than most knives you buy lol) 19 inch handle, hold a great edge, nice scabbard, will split well and do all you ask of it :)

however if you want to stay under 100 bucks and still have a stupid nice camp axe how about a wetterlings large hunting axe. made right across the street in sweeden from gransfors and owned by the same company. it will come in right 90 bucks or so. great axe. very sharp and well made. either will serve you extremely well. both are packable and will serve you very well.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I have compared them for you sir. right at 100 dollars for a camp axe is a tough choice. but a small forest axe from gransfors bruks is the ultimate camp axe imo. It will run your about 20-30 more bucks than you want to spend. however it's an amazing tool. they come stupid sharp (seriously sharper than most knives you buy lol) 19 inch handle, hold a great edge, nice scabbard, will split well and do all you ask of it :)

however if you want to stay under 100 bucks and still have a stupid nice camp axe how about a wetterlings large hunting axe. made right across the street in sweeden from gransfors and owned by the same company. it will come in right 90 bucks or so. great axe. very sharp and well made. either will serve you extremely well. both are packable and will serve you very well.

nothing to add, other than, YES.

sometimes we get so hung up on the COOLEST and the most SHINY. in the end, its the usefulness of the tool that decides its worth. 700 collectable, unused knives, in the safe, are worth less than a reliable tool, in hand, when needed.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Council makes some very nice axes and a big plus about them is they are made in America! I wish they had something a bit smaller like with a 18-20 inch handle on it. You could easily make your own though.

24 inches sticks out of the pack or below it. Usually gets caught on branches and brush. Where a 20 sits flush inside a ruck or flush flat against it on the outside. Which is ideal for a back axe IMO. However the extra 4-6 inch handle helps a lot when it comes to chopping, splitting, and felling. So there is trade offs to each one.

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Hatchet

As far as hatchets and camp axes go, I have a rediculous amount of respect for my Gerber hatchet. Its a Fiskars and I forgot it was a Gerber as the name has worn off but Fiskars is stamped in the handle. I couldnt find it in the Fiskars catalogue when trying to find a model number. The handle length is apparently a Gerber model only. From tip to top its 17.5" and I would strongly recomend this axe to anyone. It has been an outstanding chopper. Way beyond my expectations for the money.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Estwing would be my choice.Solid proven performers.I love the one piece construction(no wedge and the head will never come loose).

They have been made since 1908 with no change for the E24,and the e45 performs well and is very tough.The only drawback to either is the handle length of the E45.It is a little short for what I would consider a regular use axe,but it was designed as a camping axe.Both are still made in the United States as well.

Amazon.com: Estwing E45A Campers Axe Metal Handle: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Amazon.com: Estwing E24A Sportsman's Hatchet Metal Handle: Home Improvement

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I agree with smokingman. I have both the hatchet and the Hudson Bay style axe from Estwing and they are darn near indestructible. The Hudson Bay (E45A) would be my first choice as I'm not overly fond of hatchets and would rather use a bolo machete for lighter work.

BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Endofdays

If you have time or inclination, consider looking for something older with an American made head. I have several hatchets/axes, including a Wetterlings that I paid a retail price for, and the ones I actually use cost $10-$20 at barn sales. My "go-to" hatchet is an old Bell Systems and the axe I use most is a Council double-bit. The ESEE 5 is great for alot of camp stuff too. I also have an Estwing hatchet, and if you are looking for a low-cost but functional option this may be the way for you to go (also, you won't cry much if you lose it).

Endofdays

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Thank you all for the advice. I am going to research these brands and make a solid purchase. You are all right on the dollar when it comes to a safe piece or a functional piece of equipment. I will need to look at both the hatchet and the axe. Guess I will just need a few of both. Watching Les Stroud of Survivorman, states, "never enter the North Woods w/o you friends Axe or Hatchet." I couldn't agree more.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I believe these are made by wetterlings. At least some of them are and they are good quality as well.

The price is right if the quality is good. There retail shop is located at 71st and Georgetown Rd. I am going to try and make it up there next Monday to see for myself.

Top Bottom