• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    The price is right if the quality is good. There retail shop is located at 71st and Georgetown Rd. I am going to try and make it up there next Monday to see for myself.

Unfortunately Husqvarna stopped contracting with Wetterlings sometime last year, and the new Husqvarna's are now made by Hultafors. Sadly, the consensus on bladeforums and at Bushcraft USA is that the Hultafors are very inferior to the Wetterlings made Huskys.

however if you go and check them out. pick one that is sharp, has a handle with good grain and you will probably be ok. but IMO you will be better off with a wetterlings. they aren't to much more money but the quality will be noticeably better!

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Unfortunately Husqvarna stopped contracting with Wetterlings sometime last year, and the new Husqvarna's are now made by Hultafors. Sadly, the consensus on bladeforums and at Bushcraft USA is that the Hultafors are very inferior to the Wetterlings made Huskys.

however if you go and check them out. pick one that is sharp, has a handle with good grain and you will probably be ok. but IMO you will be better off with a wetterlings. they aren't to much more money but the quality will be noticeably better!

Thanks for the heads up. I really value you and your brothers opion when it comes to sharp objects.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    How about this one for 74.95, of course the sheath is 25.

Hand Forged Throwing Tomahawks Poled Tomahawk Knives

Camp_collage.jpg

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Looks like a great hawk but not gonna chop like an axe. I carry one similar on my pack when I'm in the woods but I would still prefer an axe for serious wood processing. The weight and shape of an axe makes a huge difference when you need to process fire wood of any real size in a hurry. My hawk chops great and I use it a ton but if it was gonna be cold out and I need a big fire for an extended period of time I would be chopping wood all night with my hawk instead of a few hours with an axe.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    How about this one for 74.95, of course the sheath is 25.

Hand Forged Throwing Tomahawks Poled Tomahawk Knives

Camp_collage.jpg

Actually these would make great camp axes. it's bigger than your average hawk at almost 20 inches and the head at #2.5 lbs it will chop and split very well. my Gransfors SFA is almost the same size with a pound less on the head and it's a wood processing machine. they actually refer to this model as there camp/trapping hawk not so much as a thrower. it would be very solid for sure. however at this price your right there again at the price of a wetterlings large hunter.

when going for a camp axe you want a lot of versatility in a compact semi light weight package. keep it around a 2lb head w/ a 18-20 inch handle and you should be set for most situations.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I am in the market for a solid camp axe. Something durable that can take a beating, but yet holds an edge. Not sure where to turn for advice on brand selections as I don't know much about them. I would like to keep the price under $100 or so. Quality and function are what is important to me. Any thoughts on where a guy can compare an axe to two?

Estwing Axe from Estwing | The Home Depot - Model E45A

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Thank you all for the advice. I am going to research these brands and make a solid purchase. You are all right on the dollar when it comes to a safe piece or a functional piece of equipment. I will need to look at both the hatchet and the axe. Guess I will just need a few of both. Watching Les Stroud of Survivorman, states, "never enter the North Woods w/o you friends Axe or Hatchet." I couldn't agree more.

Spend a lot of time in the "North Woods", eh?

Probably could be more help if you said more specificly what it is you want to do with this camp axe.

What were the last three chores you needed to perform where you feel it would come in handy?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Theres a little hole in the wall outdoors store in noblesville called nurpu that is a gransfors bruks dealer.

I've been wanting a small forrest axe with spring just around the corner, and ran across this old thread. How close is Nurpu to the online retailers in price on one of these? Most of the retailers I've seen were around $120. I like to support the locals anytime I can afford to, and I've got to Indy tonight anyways.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Trader that is where I bought mine from and if I remember correctly it was like 124 w/ tax out the door. I was just in there 2 days ago though and didn't see the SFA, so call and check first. they were unloading from the boat sport and travel show though so it could have just not been unpacked. His dads shop is right next door and they sell log cabins and he has a ton of Gransfors in there also that he sells. I didn't make it in there.

It's a cool little shop with folks who live in the outdoors. they got helle knives and all kinds of other cool outdoor supplies. it's worth checking out for sure.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Sweet little axe. I've only split kindling with mine so far but once I got started I didn't want to stop. Who was the craftsman that made yours? I remember seeing the initials on mine but don't off hand recall his name.

Top Bottom