Can anyone tell me why, if Glocks are so good...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Glockman1989

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Other companies are making better polymer guns than Glock. Sure Glocks are good, but the new knockoffs have some really good features.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I carry a glock 23 everyday more than comfortably. I never worry that it won't fire when needed, nor do I worry about getting the safety off if I need it. There is a reason why 75% of law enforcement agencies across the country trust their lives to glocks....

Yes for one, it's called the lowest bider. The miltary works the same way. Doubt what I say, then ask around or look it up. For two Glocks have been produced since the early 80's. When there was not alot of major competitors, in that price range or design. I read, how many agencies are strarting to swtich to the m&p's also. Honestly if Sig, would produce a gun in the price range. Well who knows, even though I'm not a huge fan of them.

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    Sigma is definitely a Glock copy.

Actually they did. What they did was market to the police force, of which I would say half the officers in this country are not "gun people." Prior to Glock, many semi-autos had switches and trigger pulls where the first pull was longer and heavier than subsequent pulls. Glock simplified things: Once you chamber a round, you pull the trigger, the gun fires. No "cocked and locked", no having to make sure a level is pushed one way or another, etc.. Not only that, with Glock, every trigger pull is always the same.

To some folks, none of this is "revolutionary," but it really was. It was a new way of thinking when it came to firearms. Many other rightly followed and the constant trigger pull is so popular, that a few semi-autos with exposed hammers come available in models where every trigger pull is the same. Maybe Glock wasn't the first in these things, I am not sure when they were founded, when they originally thought up this idea, etc.. They may have thought it up first, but someone else took the idea to market first. What I do know is that Sigma was the first firearm to try to mimic Glock. They failed horribly. S&W went back to the drawing board and appears to have done it right with the M&P. The HS2000 is also similar to a Glock, and it appears that I. M. Metal and Springfield got this gun right.

I wouldn't say everyone copied Glock, as the trigger concept is the same as on a revolver. It just appears that Glock took that concept, applied it to a semi-auto pistol, and they discovered something that people like. Others have now picked up on it and are designing similar pistols.

Not only that, the other companies likely caused Glock to start including light rails and finger groves. I still can't believe that Glock hasn't went back to the drawing board with removable grip pieces. I also think Glock has a slight problem with relying too much on human force to get their guns to fire 100%. The idea of limp wristing shouldn't be an issue...with any gun. If you can limp wrist an XD or M&P and cause the to jam, they have problems too. In my believe, the components of a semi-auto handgun should be such that regardless of what is holding or not holding the grip, if the trigger is pulled and the gun fired, the gun should be able to cycle, even if it is spinning after firing.

Just to add :

Glocks were also some of the first standard issue semi automatic's for
    some Police depts. that were still carrying revolvers and made the trigger pull on Glocks equal to those revolvers so LEO's could easily adapt to them .
    I'm pretty New York was one of the first depts. to do this .

They were also very well carried by Military forces around the world due thier low maintenance requirements , but that is not to say that they are way above today's class of pistols , because alot of the other makers are using materials that are equally as good as the Glock .

IMO , it comes down to how well it feels in your hand , and how well you shoot it .:)

Blazer6122

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I have several thousand rounds through a G23 and I have never had a failure to feed or eject. I have put a variety of ammo though it and never (At least to this point) had any issues. They are accurate and most of all durrable. I agree with the fact that you can find parts (pins, springs, etc) readily available and relatively cheap. The glocks are only comprised of 35 parts. This makes them simple to shoot, clean, upgrade and maintain. make sure and let us know what you think if you go Glock!

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I have several thousand rounds through a _____ and I have never had a failure to feed or eject. I have put a variety of ammo though it and never (At least to this point) had any issues. They are accurate and most of all durable. I agree with the fact that you can find parts (pins, springs, etc) readily available and relatively cheap. The ______ are only comprised of XX parts. This makes them simple to shoot, clean, upgrade and maintain. make sure and let us know what you think if you go ______!

Pick one:
    A) Glock
    B) M&P
    C) XD
    D) Taurus
    E) Ruger P-series
    F) 1911
    G) CZ
    H) FN
    I) HK
    J) All of the above

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    OK this is getting crazy. I have went trough several pistols, before I found a keeper. Which is now an Xd .40 service. My Dad has an Xd, and I shot it several times before my decision to buy. I traded off my other guns, some being very excellent for one reason or another. Rather it be only a manual safety, or too big to carry IWB. We carried the 92FS, when I was in the service. So it's a weapon I'm really familiar with. They are reliable, and excellent shooting weapon. I choose not carry it though, because in my eyes it's too big for IWB. That's the biggest reason, it's a range/back up weapon. There are some excellent pistols comparable in price to the Glock. Am I saying Glocks are junk, no. Are they the best, no. If SHTF, and that's all I had was a Glock, would I trust my life with it yes. I have roughly 600-700 rounds trough my Xd. Many brands of hp's, and fmj's. No malfunctions whatsoever. Why do I like the Xd. The extra meat on the slide, some people do not like. I think it adds balance, and helps with recoil.

The grip safety that some people do not like. I think it's a good thing. Though I know that you never, put your finger inside the trigger guard until you are on target and ready to fire. It's has a good trigger, and the weight for me is just right. It has a natural point of aim, and I shoot good with it. I can wear it all day IWB, or OWB and I have no comfort issues. My Dad also has an M&P .40. It is a very Nice gun also. I would love to own one day. Along with an FN, and some others. I'm a variety guy myself. I do not own just one make, model, or caliber. That's the good thing about the hobby of guns. You have such a selection. One weapon does not fit everyone. If so, then you would not see so many makes and models. It all comes down to.

1. What you can afford.
    2. Features you like, or dislike.
    3. What caliber you prefer.
    4. Reliability, and function.
    5. Lastly, and what I think is the most important. How well do you shoot it, and do you trust your life with it.

So it does not matter if you own an Xd, M&P, FN, Taurus, Sig, Ruger, or a 1911. Buy what you want, and what fits you the best. There is no Xd is better then Glock, or vise versa. One is not better then the other. It's all preference.

If I said things, I should have not I apologize. I just get sick of all the Glock is the best crap. I mean I have to hear the same crap at work, about how Chevy is the best truck. It gets old.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Did YOU off ALL the people on INGO just accuse someone else of "constant thread jacks"? Are f*****g kidding me?

No, I'm not kidding. Though I wasn't referring to you specifically. I participate in glock threads where the OP specifically asks for opinions or I see the silly, lofty claims. If you want to call that a thread jack then I'm guilty. I call it presenting another view point. You don't see me making comments like "Just buy a 1911 because glocks suck" in random threads. This is the sort of thing that is common from the glock crowd.

I generally only respond in Glock threads and rarely have much to say in threads regarding other handguns whereas the majority of your posts are in Glock threads.

What a joke...

How do you know most of my posts are in glock threads. Have you counted all my glock thread posts and compared to my total posts count. I don't even know if this is true or not or what it is supposed to prove if it is.

and of course you last sentence really has no relevance to me as I've already stated the XDm and M&P's are better choices for a little more money...

Ok. The last sentence was a general question I thought you might be able to answer about the general glock mentality on INGO. Are you not willing to tackle it. You just singles out the "constant thread jacks" part without answering the question.

I just don't see what you have at stake in these threads King, other that merely trying to get under people's skins for you own pleasure.

You seem interested in my motives. They are very simple. First, the handgun sub-forum is often muddled with glock threads. While some are informative and interesting (I'm actually interested in seeing the fourth generation) most are just silly. It is just revolving claims of supremacy. Second, I'm trying to understand the glock sub-culture (for lack of a better term.) People prefer all different makes but it's altogether different among glock fans. How many threads on here do you see to the effect of "HK makes the best combat handguns in the world!"? There is often such an avid devotion that it approaches blindness. So, I make my way into glock threads to understand the arguments and perspective.

Thirdly, I've known a few guys that upon coming in new to handgunning immediately bought glocks without trying anything else because they held to the misconception that "everybody shoots glocks." I think it is unfortunate that glock's popularity combined with some of the attitudes of the devotees has combined to produce a potential bias among those new to guns. So, I offer some counter points and and a little levity along the way.

Most importantly, there was a time that I really wanted to like glocks. I have mentioned this before but I'll expound a little now. I've always been a huge fan of 1911s. I used to hate guns that weren't steel, didn't have a hammer and weren't single action. It was silly and irrational. I was what you could call a "fanboy." At some point I realized this and decided I needed to explore other "modern" semi-auto handguns. I familiarized and gained experience with several brands, but glock had an obvious pull because of it's reputation for being reliable and just plain tough. In the end, I landed on the same side of the fence with the 1911 and discovered there were much better reasons to dislike glocks then that they are made of plastic. Really, all that changed was I found that the XD met my standards as well and I had a more well rounded, logical point of view. There are a ton of good pistols out there. None deserve such an over blown, out of proportion notion of preeminence.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    nicethings.jpg

This thread has run its course (and then some). But don't worry, someone is bound to start another one in a couple weeks...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom