• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Why own a glock? Because what other series of gun can create 4 pages of posts on a Saturday morning. What role does it serve in a collection? It is the quentisential defensive pistol.

I am a Glock owner. They are what the are, a tool. I also own a quality hammer and set of vice grips. My G23 is ready to perform the task if that situation is to arise. Other then that that I can not claim to be a fan boy. Glocks lack soul! They are not that good looking, they are not fantastically accurate, they don't have great triggers or ergonomics. They are rugged, reliable, practical, and have a lot of accesories available for them.

I would say go ahead and snag yourself a G17/G19. If nothing else they hold their value pretty well.

I just know how to reel 'em in, that's why my thread is so successful! (I kid, I kid). Good post, I'm pretty sure I've been turned to the Glock side.

I have a G17 Gen 4 lined up. It's ALL STOCK so what I want to know is, should I fire light loads (ie, federal 115gr, UMC 115gr etc) before I replace the recoil spring? I'm not positive, but pretty sure it has the .40 spring in it (being factory). Is there a specific date for when Glock started putting the correct recoil springs in? I don't want to have to call Glock as soon as I get my first ever. ;)

Last edited:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Have fun!! I am a 1911 guy, and probably always will be, but I do own a Glock 26, and while I dont love it, I like it for what it is. It is reliable, accurate, and lightweight. My 1911s are reliable, and dependable, but light weight they are not, and the fact that I can squeak in 4 or 5 extra rounds doesnt hurt either.

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I was in the same boat. I always heard my friends rave about their Glocks. They always told me to get one and I would love it. So I decided to buy another friend's G23. He didn't really shoot much and just had it sitting around. I bought it really was just because I didn't have one, wanted one because of everything I heard and because it was a good deal. I really wish I wouldn't have though. I don't get anything out of it other than it goes bang when I pull the trigger. It does work...every time...and I guess for some that's all that matters.

I personally don't like the way it shoots or feels though, and definitely don't like the looks of it. I understand the praise because it does seem like a good tool and a reliable one at that. But, because of the feel, I would much rather shoot my Sig or my H&K. I am sure that it is a good gun. I guess it's just not my preference.

Looking back on it I wish I would have just set the money aside and continued to save for a nice 1911.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I was in the same boat. I always heard my friends rave about their Glocks. They always told me to get one and I would love it. So I decided to buy another friend's G23. He didn't really shoot much and just had it sitting around. I bought it really was just because I didn't have one, wanted one because of everything I heard and because it was a good deal. I really wish I wouldn't have though. I don't get anything out of it other than it goes bang when I pull the trigger. It does work...every time...and I guess for some that's all that matters.

I personally don't like the way it shoots or feels though, and definitely don't like the looks of it. I understand the praise because it does seem like a good tool and a reliable one at that. But, because of the feel, I would much rather shoot my Sig or my H&K. I am sure that it is a good gun. I guess it's just not my preference.

Looking back on it I wish I would have just set the money aside and continued to save for a nice 1911.

See, now, I've thought the same EXACT thoughts that you have. To tell you the truth, I never thought there were downright fugly, but I didn't think they were lookers either. The past couple of days have sort of turned my perspective around. I hadn't really even researched the different generations. Because of that, I never really even knew what a gen 3 or 4 looked like. I just thought they were all the same.

Now that I've seen a Gen 4 17, I can honestly say, I think they're sorta sexy. I don't know what it is about it. Maybe it's the finish and how it looks soft but professional/clean to me. I can't tell you, because like I said, before recently I didn't think much of their looks.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    That's where you're wrong. I see posts on here all the time where someone asks for a recommendation on a mousegun. SOMEONE will recommend a G26! How frickin' awesome is that? A G26 is a mousegun.

Then someone will ask for help deciding between a SR9c and XDM Compact and voila, someone will be along to say "G19".

Glock is the universal answer to any question. You can't get any more magical than that!

I am sorry, but your statement is bunk. Glock is the universal answer proffered by people who are clueless, biased or rude. The grip angle does not work for some people, it has a mediocre (at best trigger) and is sort of useless for lefties. Never mind the Glock has barely evolved in over 20 years. It is a tool, no more no less. And for some people simply not a good solution. So to recommend it to someone w/o considering that some other gun might be a better choice does a disservice to that shooter.

Don't get me wrong, my two Glocks have been just fine, but I have decided that I like something different. Which is why, in just a couple weeks, my G19 will be for sale.

And do not even get me started on why I got rid of the G26.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    We were issued the Glock 21 several years beck. I had shot several .45s and did not care for them. To add to the problem I have smaller hands and the double stack, well I had reservations about it. I always been use to a safety on the previous semi autos. That's the bad part. It truely is a good gun. The transition was great and with the function drills we had made it a favorite for me. It shoots not any harder than my old 639 S&W. A lot heavier but it was well worth it. Two years ago I had my thumb dislocated while fighting a prisoner and eventually had to have corrective surgery. I had to re-adjust my grip but everything has worked out. I have since bought a 9mm glock to carry off duty.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    DON'T DO IT! DON'T DRINK THE KOOLAID! :D

profilepic12888_1.gif

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    chuck taylor

i also was not a glock owner untill i read what chuck taylor put his glock 17 through,after sitting on the bottom of the ocean for 6 months shoke off and firing i became a believer

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    i also was not a glock owner untill i read what chuck taylor put his glock 17 through,after sitting on the bottom of the ocean for 6 months shoke off and firing i became a believer

The last time my 1911 spent time at the bottom of the ocean, I was dissapointed in the amount of ftf.

Piece of junk.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Glocks are a good gun and will get the job done. However, they are not for everyone. In my opinion there are other great options out there. If they work for you, then by all means buy one. However, do not buy solely on what others say. It's a matter of what fits you and your needs. I'm personally not a fan of them.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Love em or hate em pretty much. Me...I love em! :D EDC G27

There are many great guns out there though, if you do not like Glock then that is fine go with what feels best to you.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    boring simple reliable ...i have three and none- not one-- ever fte ftf...when ranking a handgun...you want 1. reliability...2...simplicity....3. accuracy....some people dont like how they look-- i get that but that is no reason to buy a firearm...have had berettas, rugers, kel-tec, smith and wesson, -- all have had a hiccup except the wheel gun and my glock--when buying a firearm i think you want to buy a gun that puts function ahead of form (beauty) - the glocks i have have been perfect

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    boring simple reliable ...i have three and none- not one-- ever fte ftf...when ranking a handgun...you want 1. reliability...2...simplicity....3. accuracy....some people dont like how they look-- i get that but that is no reason to buy a firearm...have had berettas, rugers, kel-tec, smith and wesson, -- all have had a hiccup except the wheel gun and my glock--when buying a firearm i think you want to buy a gun that puts function ahead of form (beauty) - the glocks i have have been perfect

I own a Beretta, FN, and a M&P, all in 9mm. They have all ran flawless. So, what you desribed, describes many guns on the market. Glock is not special.

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Glock is not the only reliable pistol in the world, there are many. My CZ-75 and SIG P226 are some examples that come to mind.

There are more reported kabooms with Glocks than with any other pistol. If you do not like the looks of your face definitely buy a Glock and keep firing it until it does its magic to reconfigure your face.

Once cocked, the Glock can be de-cocked only by pressing the trigger (I personally hate that).

The ergonomics of the Glock are absolutely horrible, and it would be foolish to say ergonomics is not one of the top factors for choosing a pistol. I do not mean looks as looks mean nothing when talking about a tool.

I would sometimes chamber a round and will de-cock the hammer on my CZ or SIG (whichever I am carrying that day), so the first pull would be longer for extra safety. Of course you cannot do that with a Glock.

Sometimes you get a dud and on my CZ or SIG I would just press the trigger again so the DA pistol would strike the primer again. Of course the Glock is not DA pistol, so you cannot do that either. You have work the slide to eject the dud and chamber new round. It would be much faster to press the trigger again, but Glocks are limited that way.

Glocks are very loosely build in order to increase reliability, I have handled some and was surprised that you can actually look thru the pistol where the frame and the slide meets.

Glocks are simple and have proven to be dependable. They have worked for some people, but please lay down the cool-aid before you tell me they are the best pistol ever made.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I'm sure Glocks function perfectly.

But my M&P is just as good. I'd stake my life on it.

And I bought an American gun, made in America by Americans. Even if they are, in all likelihood, Patriots fans...

And I got an American Ruger, and an American Kel Tec and an American Browning...

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Glock is not the only reliable pistol in the world, there are many. My CZ-75 and SIG P226 are some examples that come to mind.

There are more reported kabooms with Glocks than with any other pistol. If you do not like the looks of your face definitely buy a Glock and keep firing it until it does its magic to reconfigure your face.

Once cocked, the Glock can be de-cocked only by pressing the trigger (I personally hate that).

The ergonomics of the Glock are absolutely horrible, and it would be foolish to say ergonomics is not one of the top factors for choosing a pistol. I do not mean looks as looks mean nothing when talking about a tool.

I would sometimes chamber a round and will de-cock the hammer on my CZ or SIG (whichever I am carrying that day), so the first pull would be longer for extra safety. Of course you cannot do that with a Glock.

Sometimes you get a dud and on my CZ or SIG I would just press the trigger again so the DA pistol would strike the primer again. Of course the Glock is not DA pistol, so you cannot do that either. You have work the slide to eject the dud and chamber new round. It would be much faster to press the trigger again, but Glocks are limited that way.

Glocks are very loosely build in order to increase reliability, I have handled some and was surprised that you can actually look thru the pistol where the frame and the slide meets.

Glocks are simple and have proven to be dependable. They have worked for some people, but please lay down the cool-aid before you tell me they are the best pistol ever made.

My Xd had a gap in between the frame and slide also. My FN however has no gap whatsoever.

Top Bottom