• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Yes there were some recoil spring issues with the early Gen.4 9mm pistols. This was caused by GLOCK attempting to use the same spring in both the 9mm and .40 S&W guns as a cost saving move. The recoil spring for the .40 was too strong for the 9mm especially if inexpensive(cheap) or week ammo was used. They have since replaced the springs with an appropriate to the caliber spring and this,by most all accounts, has resolved the issue. The hype to which you are referring is perpetuated primarily by the bashers you referred to in your OP. :)

PS: I have both Gen.3 and Gen.4 in both .40 and 9mm and have not experienced any of these issues with just over 9000 rounds downrange between the pistols. 4728 rounds now fired through my Gen.4 G22.as of last Tuesday. :D

If I were to buy a used 17/19 gen 4, how would I know if it still had the "older" stronger spring?

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Fish Gills

And one more thing...what's up with some gen 4's having different serrations? Did Glock initially go with this design, then scrap it for the more conventional look? It seems like there aren't many with the curved serrations...[/QUOTE]

The semi-circular serrations you are referring to were only on what GLOCK called their RTF finish pistols which are actually Gen.3 guns (Gen. 3 1/2?). These while not too rare were a short lived production run because many felt that the texture was TOO rough and that the serrations on the slide you referred to,also known as,"fish gills", were ugly. GLOCK dropped both the fish gills and the original RTF finish and went back to the original style slide and a milder rough textured finish that they call RTF-2 for the Gen.4 models. :)

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Vince, I thought the RTF2 was a 3rd Gen, but may hv been wrong. Mine is definitely 3rd with fish gills and was somewhat positive it was RTF2. I'll check it out when I wake up in the morning :) couldn't sleep again.

OP, ignore the hype. It's a gun, tool, defensive weapon. If it fits u and it's comfortable, u like it, can shoot it reasonably well then go for it, if not, then pass on it. Or just buy yourself a Gen 3 model 17 and if u don't like it, I'll trade a XD9 for it. Personally, I like my 17 because it's a natural fit to the hand, but can't stand the 19, it just feels all wrong.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Finally!!

Sorry about that, I got into a fight with my anti virus program about whether or not it was going to do a full scan and bring this operation to a halt! I won. Now the picture. I could not find the picture I have of the back of the recoil spring (the part that goes into the c shaped recess on the barrel lug). That is where you will find the markings depicted on this chart. The chart should be pretty self explanatory. :)

PS: If you find an early Gen.4 with its original spring still in, that spring will have no numbers on the back. If that is the case a quick phone call to GLOCK in Smyrna,GA and they will mail you one usually the same day, free of charge too! :D
    1295591379-860-1.jpg

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    There is nothing magical about them, and I am on my second one.

That's where you're wrong. I see posts on here all the time where someone asks for a recommendation on a mousegun. SOMEONE will recommend a G26! How frickin' awesome is that? A G26 is a mousegun.

Then someone will ask for help deciding between a SR9c and XDM Compact and voila, someone will be along to say "G19".

Glock is the universal answer to any question. You can't get any more magical than that!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Currently I have a Gen3 G22 .40 and I love it. I have had all the 9mm Glocks and I did really like the G17. Mine was a Gen4 and I had 0 problems with it, great shooting gun! One of these days I will pickup another G17 to go along with my G22. :) But I do not love Glocks alone, they go along nicely with the rest of my variety. ;)

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Im a 1911 guy, always have been always will be(thank dad for that one,lol). But with that being said my brother has a Glock I like shooting it hes never had a minutes trouble out of it, Ive shoot it an it shoot well. An if I cam across one for a decent price I would consider one, but I think it really comes down to personal preference. In other words buy an shoot what you want, not wah some one else says you should!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It's not that I'm against Glock, it's not that I'm a hater...I just can't figure out what's is so friggin' holy about them. Is there any reason I should own one other than just having one in the collection? I guess I just don't get the hype. :dunno:

It, like many other things, is all about your perspective.

Glocks are boring. Boringly simple (in both design and operation). Boringly reliable. Boringly accurate. Ever had to hunt down a replacement part? The hunt is boringly fast.

Those who carry a handgun for defense, and who train for the same, find this quality as a big positive.

For those that come at Glocks from a different perspective-- say from one of plinking or target shooting-- this quality can be a negative.

So define your purpose and then pick the gun that best fits that role. :yesway:

SixSigmaLarry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   1
    Jan 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Get what you like...

What I mean is, the gun has to feel comfortable in your hands. You have to like the weight and size too. If appearance is important to you, then yes, factor that in too. Then, and this is all my opinion, you have to do your research on the reliability of the hangun.

For me, Glock is one of my favorites. I guess, considering I have a eight models (9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, and even a 357SIG), you could say it is my favorite. In regards to 45ACP, I have a couple 1911's, but for me, I'd rather carry my subcompact (really the size of a compact) Glock. I just like it. I can't explain it.

And like someone mentioned, if I decide not to clean it, no worries. However, when you are ready to clean or add new parts (e.g., 3.5pm trigger bar), it is EASY.

I recommend finding someone who has one and shooting it at the range. You might like it.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    The semi-circular serrations you are referring to were only on what GLOCK called their RTF finish pistols which are actually Gen.3 guns (Gen. 3 1/2?). These while not too rare were a short lived production run because many felt that the texture was TOO rough and that the serrations on the slide you referred to,also known as,"fish gills", were ugly. GLOCK dropped both the fish gills and the original RTF finish and went back to the original style slide and a milder rough textured finish that they call RTF-2 for the Gen.4 models. :)

I think the gills look kinda cool! It's a fresh of breath air from all the standardized looking Glocks.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Sorry about that, I got into a fight with my anti virus program about whether or not it was going to do a full scan and bring this operation to a halt! I won. Now the picture. I could not find the picture I have of the back of the recoil spring (the part that goes into the c shaped recess on the barrel lug). That is where you will find the markings depicted on this chart. The chart should be pretty self explanatory. :)

PS: If you find an early Gen.4 with its original spring still in, that spring will have no numbers on the back. If that is the case a quick phone call to GLOCK in Smyrna,GA and they will mail you one usually the same day, free of charge too! :D
    1295591379-860-1.jpg

Verrrry helpful, thanks a bunch.

schhrdkncks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Ohio county Indiana
    My name is Jim and I am also a glockaholic who continues to sip the glock Kool-aid. I have 6 of them. I took a tactical response fighting pistol class and my gun was very wet and sandy early into the class. I was using my glock 19 and didn't clean it for the two days of the class and it ran with no malfunctions.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Glock?

The g-19 w a don Hume iwb holster is the ultimate concealed carry setup. You can barely tell it's there but you've got plenty of power if you need it. There are others now but none have the proven reliability of glock. At the range it is not my favorite but for a ccw it is.:twocents:

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I have a few of each of the most common pistols. I prefer the Glock and I use it on duty.
    1. Its easy to clean. Powder residue wipes of easily. Not a lot of scrubing.
    2. There is no external hammer to have to worry aboutgetting stuck in clothing.
    3. If you have to use it while your adreneline is pumping high, on several occasions, people have forgot to cock a hammer or push a safety off and been killed. No problem for a Glock, simple to use. Some things to consider when making a decison on which gun to carry.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I'm not a glock guy. never have been, doubt if I ever will be. I don't hate glock either. I have just never shot a glock that really thrilled me. Glocks just don't feel right to me. My XD40sc feels right, and I can shoot it well. I also have a 1911 that fits my hand even better, and I shoot it well too. If a glock fit my hand better, I might be a glock guy, but it doesn't. Get what feels good in your hand and what you can shoot well. No need to give in to hype if you just don't like it. And let me add that I know glocks are fine reliable machines. So are Porsches, but at 6-3 I don't fit into one of those either.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Why own a glock? Because what other series of gun can create 4 pages of posts on a Saturday morning. What role does it serve in a collection? It is the quentisential defensive pistol.

I am a Glock owner. They are what the are, a tool. I also own a quality hammer and set of vice grips. My G23 is ready to perform the task if that situation is to arise. Other then that that I can not claim to be a fan boy. Glocks lack soul! They are not that good looking, they are not fantastically accurate, they don't have great triggers or ergonomics. They are rugged, reliable, practical, and have a lot of accesories available for them.

I would say go ahead and snag yourself a G17/G19. If nothing else they hold their value pretty well.

Top Bottom