• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    I'm sure IU wouldn't mind that, guns being scary and all.

Actually, IUPD seems to be pretty lax when it comes to guns on campus.

I also asked IUPD if they make a habit of reporting someone to the university bureaucracy, if that person is legally in possession and has committed no crime. They said, "No." So if you get a stop and frisk for example, for some reason, and you are carrying legally on campus, looks like you are still good. Pretty sweet.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I realize that's what the website says from 2005, But I'm telling you what President Coons told me when I asked the question at orientation. Either the website is out of date, or the president of the university doesn't know the policy. I'm telling you from personal experience several students and faculty carry. You can believe it or not, but those are the facts.

Volinkov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    West Lafayette
    I'm a student employee at Purdue, and we (recreational sports staff) go over emergency procedures fairly frequently. Our active shooter plan is generally "run away" or "clear your area and tell everyone to run away". Our risk management staff do actually encourage us to fight back, though. I work at the climbing wall, so I could make a slingshot that fires climbing holds.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    so here is a far out question, say your an individual who decides to carry on a gun free campus (locked in car, case in bag, whatever the person decides) and an active shooting occurs. the weapon is retrieved or drawn to protect yourself and classmates against the active shooter.

once the smoke clears, would/could the person be arrested and or charged for violating campus policy?

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    so here is a far out question, say your an individual who decides to carry on a gun free campus (locked in car, case in bag, whatever the person decides) and an active shooting occurs. the weapon is retrieved or drawn to protect yourself and classmates against the active shooter.

once the smoke clears, would/could the person be arrested and or charged for violating campus policy?

It's happened before. Nothing that I know of in a college campus setting, but people have been fired from jobs for violating company policy. There's nothing stopping the college from expelling a student or firing an employee. You might or might not be arrested for it, though. Since it's not illegal (in Indiana) to carry on campus, you're not violating any law. You might be taken into custody for questioning, but that's for any defense shooting you would ever be in.

Remember that IANAL so I could be totally wrong and this is just coming from what I've looked up and read on here.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    We covered this shortly after VA tech at the university where I work along with fire, natural disaster and other "training". When the instructor ask what we would do if there was a shooter in the building, I raised my hand. Apparently, "engage the threat while moving to cover, and continue to engage until the threat is neutralized", wasn't the answer they were looking for.

That's pretty similar to my response of "constant rate of fire on the threat"... :)

Grunt

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Unfortunately I don't think school policies will ever change until an active shooter starts or finishes in the school's administrative areas where the management resides. In the school I teach at I had a student have outbursts during class and he had mood swings. I requested several times from the school that this student be mentally evaluated, but they refused saying that the student has rights. The individual that I spoke to who represented the school even smirked at me as I explained my concerns.

I have taught for years and this is the only student that I have recommended for mental evaluation. I used to be an Army Drill Sergeant and we tried to weed out the turds before Week 3 when BRM (Basic Rifle Marksmanship) began. We wanted to kick the turds out before they killed themselves or somebody else.

Our sister unit had a private put his M-16 in his mouth and blew his brains into his K-Pot (Kevlar helmet). His brains and skull fragments splattered nicely inside the helmet.

I never did get rid of the student; but I now know it is very hard to lecture and keep your eyes on the threat at the same time especially whenever they reach into their book bag. This student recently was suspended from school because of another matter. Once I found out they were suspended, I advised the school that this is a potential shooter. I am not a trained mental health professional, but can detect a PoS (Piece of ?h&t).

I hope other school shootings don't happen in the future, but if they do, I hope the shooter goes after the school leadership instead of us peons in the classrooms. After a few school presidents get shot, then the schools may change their policy to allow guns on campus, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Well, as the poet from the 60's said, "the times they are a-changin'". I just got a response from the President of the university at Rose-Hulman and it looks as if some students and faculty are going to have to change. They are indeed a gun-free zone, but that is definitely NOT what was said during orientation:

Mark:

Thanks for your note. I appreciate you making me aware of the need to clarify this issue for students and families.

I've copied Dean Gustafson here to follow up on the clarity around this issue as it is presented in orientation.

Yes, it is true that Rose-Hulman is a gun-free zone and guns are prohibited from vehicles in the parking lot.

I'm happy to address this further if you have additional questions.

Best,

Rob.

Robert A Coons
    PHONE: 812-877-8000
    FAX: 812-877-8001
    CELL: 812-240-4570

CM 20
    5500 WABASH AVENUE
    TERRE HAUTE, IN 47803-3920
    www.rose-hulman.edu

Top Bottom