• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    If camping with your wife, make sure that your camping area is not more then three crying fits from the nearest hotel with hot water and electricity. just sayin'
    :lol2: Of course...I don't know why I'm laughing. Camping in the middle of 16,000 acres of woods...do they really not expect any bugs there??? :dunno:

So help me God...if I'd heard "I don't do bugs" one more time...you'd have read about me on the front page of the newspaper... :n00b: :):

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Take the nylon bags they put sweet corn in and use them to hol your skillet and dishes in when done cleaning. Just hang it from a tree and with all the holes in the bag it will all dry quickly. Works as a dunk bag too.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I like to start a fire with some wet wood VERY early on. I then get my clothes all smokey and I don't have a mosquito problem for the rest of the day. Weird but it works for me.

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    before you go to bed, always chop some wood, and put it where it can't get wet. It's nice to warm up in the morning, and makes cooking breakfast a breeze.

Also, I love to cook over the fire, but typically bring a camp stove or grill so that I can make breakfast quickly and easily. Also great for quickly making coffee.

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Your air mattress pump (Battery, or foot) is great for jump-starting your fire. Especially when the wood is wet.

I also usually buy a fire-log at home, and cut it into 2 inch sections. Bring 2-3 sections for the weekend. These will burn enough that you can get even the wettest wood to begin to burn.

If your wood is wet, ring it around the campfire, and it will dry quickly. Also helps wood that is not fully cured.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    My cardinal rule is to avoid cotton! When it gets wet it stays wet. I go so far as to use speedos as underware during long canoe trips in Canada. I can't remember the brand but there are a great number of all synthetic fiber clothes that are mosquito proof, lite and can be washed and worn dry in about 20 minutes.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Heard this week end from another camper ! Spread garlic powder around the camp site to help control the mosquittos ! i tried and i dont think i had enogh but i think it did help??

No, No, No! Thats to keep away the vampires. Use Repel for mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, flies and other small insects. :D

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    dish soap around a site make good for keeping away little curious varmints

don't use sleeping bag bags to make bear bags, the food smell is absorbed into your sleeping bag and defeats the purpose of hanging a bear bag

petroleum jelly and cotton balls makes a great fire starter

pine needles are a great under-layer for sleeping bags, both an insulator and comfort

when using fire to keep warm use the 3x method for amounts through the night... when ever you think you have enough triple it for sure

always bring 550 cord and duct tape

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    If your packing lite(ish) whiskey is better than beer and a pipe is easier to pack and manage than cigars. Portage pipe if you want to be historically accurate.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I like to start a fire with some wet wood VERY early on. I then get my clothes all smokey and I don't have a mosquito problem for the rest of the day. Weird but it works for me.

This does work. Just hold your breath and don't stand too close! :D

Also, roll your clothes and you can have more space. Unless you line your pack with your clothes.

Also, pine cones burn HOT. Best way to get a good fire going in a shorter amount of time. Also good used to heat up soup and such faster. Could also be good for high heat applications. They burn fast so have a lot. Dried out or fresh off the tree, either burn just fine. The fresh ones smoke a little more, not much.

Pine needles that are fairly dry make good kindling aswell and you can use the sap from the pine trees to sweeten your food.

Sassafras trees also make a good Tea. They are also good to use to smoke your meats with. :D Have medicinal properties, but I'd have to look them up at this point.
    Sassafras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oooo if you plan on going camping, learn to pack your truck/trunk by utilizing every bit of space possible and packing it in tight. Never let your wife/GF pack or help you pack. Just trust me on this unless your wife/GF packs better than you. :thumbsup:

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    soap the bottom / sides of any pots/ pans (that aren't cast iron) that you put over the fire. Once you are done cooking, the soot will wash right off. Saves a lot of scrubbing.

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Keep a checklist, and add to it when you go camping. Makes packing much easier.

Put some pens/ paper in your camping supplies. Take note of whatever you forgot/ used up so that you can replace it before you go camping again.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    buy the cooler with the thickest walls. Yep, may cost more but at 3 bucks a bag for ice buying the better cooler will save money on ice in long run and the hassle of worrying whether food (and hopefully fish fillets) are going to spoil

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    buy the cooler with the thickest walls. Yep, may cost more but at 3 bucks a bag for ice buying the better cooler will save money on ice in long run and the hassle of worrying whether food (and hopefully fish fillets) are going to spoil

Goodpoint, The Igloo Maxcold line are the best I have found:

Amazon.com: igloo maxcold

Also, try and chill everything you put in your cooler beforehand (especially if your filling it up with pop/beer) your Ice will last much longer. Freeze what you can, a put a couple of large chunks of ice to keep everything colder longer.

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Get some decent tent stakes, it will save you lots of hassle, I picked some of these up at a local army surplus shop, and only kept my original one's for spares:

158868_ts.JPG

15 New U.S. Aluminum Tent Stakes, Orange, Military Surplus, Brand Not Specified, New Never Issued Us Military Surplus Tent Stakes Aluminum Usa Made at Sportsman's Guide

light and strong, great stakes.

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Always take a tarp.

under $15 at harbor freight, and tons of uses. Nothing will ruin a tent camping trip than an unexpected downpour. miserable when you are wet, and can't start a fire to get dry, and warm up.

We went camping a couple of months ago at Shades, had a monsoon on friday, and about half the people there didn't even have a tarp. Lots of envious looks at my two 12x12 ez-ups as people were driving out to the hotels. Bet they only made that mistake once.

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Also, try and chill everything you put in your cooler beforehand (especially if your filling it up with pop/beer) your Ice will last much longer. Freeze what you can, a put a couple of large chunks of ice to keep everything colder longer.

To expand on this point, if you're going to take a gallon or two of water with you, then freeze at least one of these jugs and it becomes a dual purpose item.

Side note, please take trash bags and try to leave an area as you found it, or better.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Car camping

For car camping in the summer:

1. Take 2 pairs of decent binos for stargazing. You can see a lot of cool stuff on a clear night. Examples: globular clusters (really!) M13, Andromada galaxy,
    Saturn w moons. Really- you can see these things if you know where to look.
    Turkey Run and Shades are in some pretty dark areas for Indiana.

2. If you have 110V- Take an extension cord and box fan. Momma will love it and you will too. If the kids are in a second tent (mine are getting big now) take a 2nd fan for the youngsters. Nothing worse than laying there sweating!

3. Keep something a secret for your kids for later. We used to surprise them with stuff: headlamps so they could read or whatever later at night, something to hang from their tent that glowed at night, Surprisingly, we gave them poker chips which they thought was great a couple of summers ago. 12-13 year olds playing Texas Hold 'Em...Go figure

4. Do some Boy Scout stuff with kids or even adults. Boil water and add to a sandwich bag stuck down in an insulated cozy with soup powder to make a pretty good soup. Throw the baggie away when done. Add some canned chicken breast, parmesean cheese, and noodles and you have a feast with little cleanup....OK, my wife would stop short of saying a "feast", but it is tasty and fun for folks who are used to more creature comforts, especially after dark.

....back in the day, my parents took us camping all the time. My dad was great at simple things that were fun. Campfire popcorn, mac and cheese in a cup, apple pie tarts made in a bag...kids and others never forget!

Top Bottom