• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    ok i live west indianapllis, and normally i have to drive about an hour or so away to my aunts property to shoot my AR. ive heard ur allowed to shoor rifles at atterbury. does anyone have info, or have the link to their website for info. Times, cost, rules, etc for atterbury. I have never been there and i beleive it will b a closer drive and it will allow me to shoot my AR more often than i get to now. Im intretsed in goin to check it out this weekend. thanks everyone.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    thanks jetmech, appreciate the info. opinions on atterbury are appreciated. Likes dislikes, any info u see fit is appreciated.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Atterbury is a great place to shoot. Be careful to follow the range rules and the basic safety rules and you will be fine. The RO's there will come down on you if your not paying attention, but I like it that way. Then I don't have to keep looking over my shoulder at the other shooters and can concentrate on what I'm doing.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I went to Atterbury with another member, Thanks AC, a couple Saturdays ago and I have to say I was pleased. I hadn't been there since it was just a dirt range and no benches so to see a nice modern facility was pretty impressive. It was very clean and well maintained and the rifle range was easy to use. The roofing seemed to amplify the report of the rifles though and it seemed quite loud to me, but that is a minor concern to some. I didn't mind the cease fire every 2o minutes or so but it did get rather old hearing the guys yell at people over the intercom to stop handling their weapons or ammo. I suppose some people need remedial education on firearms training but yelling at them over the PA system is not a very good way to teach someone IMO. I was also annoyed at how many times I saw weapons pointed in all directions on the compass and the number of times I was swept with muzzles. I know it's hard to always keep rifles pointed down range but I do my best to either have my muzzle pointed down range or skyward while leaving the firing line. All in all though it is a very nice facility and I'll go back sometime. :twocents: :yesway:

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    I would steer clear of Camp Auschwitzbury... Unless you've got a leaf camo shotgun thats 65ft long, with a scope mount, and take between 34-50 minutes between each shot. If you lack these things there's a good chance you'll be threatened with fines, heckled, watched, and/or criticized.

In my opinion, Camp Auschwitzbury is a no go!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Atterbury is an OK place to shoot rifle. I was able to lay down a shooting mat next to the tables with minimal problem.

It doesn't matter if you can keep all shots on a pie plate at 15 yards, you still can't shoot 2-3 shots a second without getting yelled at. I WILL NOT shot combat pistol at a place that forces me to mentally shoot slower. I think this is a bad habit to form.

That being said, I think it is probably a safe environment for newer shooters, due to all the nannying.

Once I got in a Martinsville Conservation Club, I have no desire to go back to Atterbury.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I agree that the one round per second rule is a downer, and shouldn't apply on the pistol range at least (*cough*, nor should it apply at some other South Side indoor pistolranges), but Atterbury is top notch for rifles. I shoot my Colt 6920 there all the time, and see dozens of AK's and AR's there every time. You can shoot up to .50 caliber,but not BMG.

I went there as a kid when it was a dirt hill with a sign-in sheet, and now it is state of the art. While the roof probably does make it louder than before, it is surely quieter than an indoor range, and a lot drier than most outdoor ranges, AND, I've noticed that is a lot lighter than indoor ranges without even using any light bulbs on the range. No complaints about instructions over their fine intercom system--how else do you get 50 people with hearing protection on to hear what you're saying?

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    I like it. If you notice, they have wood 2x12's protecting the steel supports for the overhead baffles. Looks like several have major termite damage. The people that obviously cannot shoot is amazing and scary. Being a public range, they probably can't screen them out

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I to wish you could fire faster than one round every second. Like I said though, you can let every joe bob do so. As some would wind up damaging property and such. I have seen it more than once. I have seen people walk in with AR's and AK's and hit the baffles on the 50 yards line. Really? I'm used to the rules. You think they run a tight ship, it's nothing compared to qualifying on a Military range.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I had my new AR there a couple weeks ago. I try to get there every few weeks or so with my wife, who shoots pistol with me. It's clean, modern, very well run, has clean restrooms, and they can sell you almost anything you forgot to bring.(ear/eye protection, targets, ammo, etc.)About the only thing they don't do is cook your lunch, and Buzz has even been known to do that once before. (mmm...Bambi burgers) The folks there are friendly, and take range safety seriously. Seems like that right there is reason enough to make the trip and decide for yourself.
    And of course, if you screw up, they will correct you. I wouldn't have it any other way, and thank them for that.:yesway:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    to the OP and anyone else considering going for the first time:

Give serious thought on bringing both "in-ear" and ear muff type protection and wearing them both.

The concrete roof and the baffles between the lanes do nothing to the sound but bounce it right back at your head. It's LOUD. Especially loud if it's crowded of you're near someone shooting magnum handgun calibers or rifles with anything more than .22lr.

They are also suppressor friendly - should you have one.

They aren't full-auto friendly...unfortunately. (Not that I have one, but a guy can dream!)

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    I agree with the others. Go to Atterbury a lot and enjoy it. Can get my own and other peoples brass (huge for me as a reloader) and the outdoor range is nice to cut down on the noise that you get from indoor ranges that my wife doesn't like when we go shooting. Also, the ROs are good about keeping everyone safe and making sure everyone is following the rules. At $6 an hour you can't beat that.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I would steer clear of Camp Auschwitzbury... Unless you've got a leaf camo shotgun thats 65ft long, with a scope mount, and take between 34-50 minutes between each shot. If you lack these things there's a good chance you'll be threatened with fines, heckled, watched, and/or criticized.

WTH are you talking about? Or do you know? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom